PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider--Brees failed Dolphin's physical

Bling
03-20-2006, 05:06 PM
nough of the disingenuous rhetoric, please, about how Drew Brees signed with New Orleans because he felt at home with the Saints and was comfortable with the program that they are trying to rebuild. The fact is, Brees was left on Tuesday morning with nowhere else to go after he essentially failed the very rigorous physical examination the Miami Dolphins administered to him the previous day. Physical exams in the NFL are very subjective things, and the Miami medical staff felt that Brees' surgically repaired shoulder, although improving, wasn't quite far enough along for the financial exposure the Dolphins would have had if they had agreed to sign the former San Diego starter.

So, on Monday evening, with the medical evaluations in hand, the Dolphins, after determining that Brees and agent Tom Condon wouldn't reduce the contractual liability, turned their attentions back to acquiring quarterback Daunte Culpepper in a trade. Then, very early Tuesday morning -- reliable sources told ESPN.com -- Dolphins coach Nick Saban apprised Condon that Miami was out of the bidding for Brees. In fairness to Brees, Saban told Condon, the Dolphins would stay quiet about the results of the physical exam and the pending trade for Culpepper for a few hours. That would provide Condon and Brees, who had no negotiating leverage remaining with the Dolphins suddenly out of the picture, some time to complete the six-year, $60 million deal with Saints officials. In the end, the Dolphins simply thought Culpepper had a better chance of being on the field for training camp than Brees did.

"We're talking the quarterback position, right?" one Miami source said. "So what would you rather have, a guy coming off knee surgery or off shoulder surgery? You don't throw with your knee."

justasportsfan
03-20-2006, 05:08 PM
they made Brees throw for his physical and he failed.

They made Cpep throw for his physical and he passed. :ill:

ICE74129
03-20-2006, 05:10 PM
LMAO. So you want a guy to throw 10 weeks after surgery? Uh yeah he is going to fail his physical. the REALITY is so did pepper.

Bling
03-20-2006, 05:22 PM
LMAO. So you want a guy to throw 10 weeks after surgery? Uh yeah he is going to fail his physical. the REALITY is so did pepper.

ICE, WTF are you talking about? Read it again.

Physical exams in the NFL are very subjective things, and the Miami medical staff felt that Brees' surgically repaired shoulder, although improving, wasn't quite far enough along for the financial exposure the Dolphins would have had if they had agreed to sign the former San Diego starter.

They examined his shoulder, and they said it's not healing well. We all know you're some expert on shoulders, but I'm pretty sure if a football medical staff member said to stay away from him, I would too. Did you even read how Brees covered up his exam? It's obvious the guy has been deceiving us all to believe that his shoulder is doing better... contrary to your expertise on labrum.

ICE74129
03-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Here is what was printed....blah blah blah....we dont' want to get into a bidding war so we are just going to trade for a guy.....blah blah blah.

TigerJ
03-20-2006, 05:23 PM
The story is pretty well known. Brees is not as far along in his recovery from surgery as is Culpepper, and Saban didn't want to commit as much money to signing him as he might have had doctors been able to assure him Brees would be close to fully recovered at the start of training camp. Doctors can't give that assurance. That kept the Dolphin's offer down. Brees opted for the money in NO instead. The Dolphins signed Culpepper instead. Culpepper is closer to recovery and does have a major league arm as well as mobility. I personally would have wanted Brees' consistency but whatever.

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Here is what was printed....blah blah blah....we dont' want to get into a bidding war so we are just going to trade for a guy.....blah blah blah.

Huh?

LifetimeBillsFan
03-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Don't write off New Orleans drafting a QB just yet.

With the way Brees' contract is structured, if he isn't healthy it won't cost that much for New Orleans to drop him after this season. Also, I believe that it is only a 3 year deal. That means that they could still draft a "QB of the future" with their first pick and give him time to develop--both Young and Cutler are guys who are going to need time to develop before they are ready to step in. If Houston doesn't take Young--which they probably will not--it could be a big PR move for the Saints to take Young to develop behind Brees for a year. Even Leinart is not out of the question if Brees's shoulder is still a question-mark....

AndreReed83
03-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Didn't Brees suffer his injury well after Culpepper did?

justasportsfan
03-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Didn't Brees suffer his injury well after Culpepper did?Different injuries have different ways of healing.

Brees injured his shoulder and Cpep's is a hand injury.

Nighthawk
03-20-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm sure he didn't pass his physical because of the time frame, but I'd bet money Culpepper didn't either. However, when you trade for a guy, you're not going to let him fail, especially when you knew what his injury was. No big deal, neither of them is a Bill.

Bling
03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Different injuries have different ways of healing.

Brees injured his shoulder and Cpep's is a hand injury.

It's a knee injury.

Bling
03-20-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm sure he didn't pass his physical because of the time frame, but I'd bet money Culpepper didn't either. However, when you trade for a guy, you're not going to let him fail, especially when you knew what his injury was. No big deal, neither of them is a Bill.

Wrong again. Miami's deal with Minnesota was dependant on Culpepper passing a physical. He passed with flying colors.

ICE74129
03-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Wrong again. Miami's deal with Minnesota was dependant on Culpepper passing a physical. He passed with flying colors.

If I wanted to say he did, he did. If I wanted to cover my ass for not getting into a bidding war I state the obvious....Brees can't pass a physical...yet. They are covering thier asses.

They didn't want to pay brees what NO did so they traded for the guy that they could get cheaper and get to restructure his contract.

It is much easier to trade for a guy than bid for him.

justasportsfan
03-20-2006, 05:56 PM
It's a knee injury.

Swoosh.

I knew that.

Bling
03-20-2006, 06:03 PM
If I wanted to say he did, he did. If I wanted to cover my ass for not getting into a bidding war I state the obvious....Brees can't pass a physical...yet. They are covering thier asses.

They didn't want to pay brees what NO did so they traded for the guy that they could get cheaper and get to restructure his contract.

It is much easier to trade for a guy than bid for him.

This isn't the CIA Ice. Saban isn't puppeting ESPN to make up these rumors. I'm presented with news that Brees shoulder isn't looking good, and I as a GM and coach say "Hmmm.... I'll make up bull**** to make everyone think I'm not a cheap ass, and instead trade draft picks for a worse player." Yeah, ok ice....

There's three things wrong about that statement. 1) Saban hates to trade draft picks. 2) Culpepper and Brees cost about the same give or take. 3) GM's don't care what some guy in Buffalo thinks.

dplus47
03-20-2006, 06:11 PM

miami has had trades voided for failed physicals in the past. chuck muncie was one, rashaun salaam was another. i'm sure there are more examples.

Jersey1031
03-20-2006, 06:12 PM
I wonder if New Orleans gave him a real physical...

dplus47
03-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Didn't Brees suffer his injury well after Culpepper did?

in a meaningless game with rivers sitting...

dplus47
03-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I wonder if New Orleans gave him a real physical...

some teams aren't so strict, apparently. the raiders tried to sign fonoti, he failed their physical, but passed tampa's.

Jersey1031
03-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Im just saying they were probably so excited they beat Miami, they just signed him...

LtFinFan66
03-20-2006, 07:07 PM
they made Brees throw for his physical and he failed.

They made Cpep throw for his physical and he passed. :ill:Guess I missed the part where they said he threw?? :idunno:

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 07:26 PM
PERSONALLY I think Culpepper is better than Brees... ONce healthy I think he's going to find Chris Chambers often.. VERY often.

ajsdx
03-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Don't write off New Orleans drafting a QB just yet.

With the way Brees' contract is structured, if he isn't healthy it won't cost that much for New Orleans to drop him after this season. Also, I believe that it is only a 3 year deal. That means that they could still draft a "QB of the future" with their first pick and give him time to develop--both Young and Cutler are guys who are going to need time to develop before they are ready to step in. If Houston doesn't take Young--which they probably will not--it could be a big PR move for the Saints to take Young to develop behind Brees for a year. Even Leinart is not out of the question if Brees's shoulder is still a question-mark....

How much would that suck for Brees? He finally gets out of SD after they draft the QB of the future, and then he signs with another team, and the first thing they do is draft the QB of the future.

guy
03-20-2006, 07:43 PM
who cares??!!!!!

patmoran2006
03-20-2006, 08:05 PM
If The Bills signed Duante Culpepper, Will Allen and LJ Shelton among others..

and the Dolphins signed Craig Nall, Bruce Bowens, and Robert Royal..

Bills fans would be creating names to get on Miami boards and make fun of them..

Be a Bills fan.. hate the Dolphins.. Just dont be STUPID doing it.

Culpepper can come out on the field in a wheelchair and he's still better than anything Buffalo has right now.

Bill Cody
03-20-2006, 08:07 PM
They examined his shoulder, and they said it's not healing well. We all know you're some expert on shoulders, but I'm pretty sure if a football medical staff member said to stay away from him, I would too. Did you even read how Brees covered up his exam? It's obvious the guy has been deceiving us all to believe that his shoulder is doing better... contrary to your expertise on labrum.

HTF do you get the above from this "the Miami medical staff felt that Brees' surgically repaired shoulder, although improving, wasn't quite far enough along for the financial exposure the Dolphins would have had if they had agreed to sign the former San Diego starter".

You do not have a CLUE what you're talking about. Brees was only operated on in January. I can understand Miami not wanting to commit big money to a guy who isn't yet healthy, but there is no evidence- certainly none in the article you're basing your ridiculous conclusions on- that indicates Brees shoulder is not healing well. If you think it should be further along than it is please explain why you think so. From Brees himself, and he's already got his money so why should he lie, he's several weeks ahead of schedule.

Samphin1
03-21-2006, 12:31 AM
The latest rumor circling is that N.O. is mad at Miami for not sharing their info with them and them paying too much as the only bidder. If this is the case, N.O. should be shut down as a franchise. Why would they need to be dependant on other team's info and not due their own homework is beyond me.

Saban and Co. had their standards and obviously Brees didn't meet them. He has no obligation to provide that info to anyone else. He did the right thing by letting Tom Condon know.

AndreReed83
03-21-2006, 01:00 AM
The latest rumor circling is that N.O. is mad at Miami for not sharing their info with them and them paying too much as the only bidder. If this is the case, N.O. should be shut down as a franchise. Why would they need to be dependant on other team's info and not due their own homework is beyond me.

Saban and Co. had their standards and obviously Brees didn't meet them. He has no obligation to provide that info to anyone else. He did the right thing by letting Tom Condon know.

It's the Aints man. We all should be happy that they are living up to their reputation with something as simple as a player signing.

Mr. Cynical
03-21-2006, 01:44 AM

I will say this - I think it was a bad choice on Saban's part. Brees is much better at managing an offense than is Culpepper. With a runner like Brown your QB has to be able to manage the game, make plays when he has to and not make mistakes. Cpep was a good fit in Minny because they had Moss and a good WR/TE corps. Their running game was never the focus. In Miami that's not going to be the case. Brees would be a better fit.

I still like Cpep and he is light years above what you guys have had since Marino but I would have taken the chance on Brees. Sad thing is that Brees' career is effectively over now since the Aints are going to suck for the rest of his career there....at least.

superbills
03-21-2006, 03:40 AM
I will say this - I think it was a bad choice on Saban's part. Brees is much better at managing an offense than is Culpepper. With a runner like Brown your QB has to be able to manage the game, make plays when he has to and not make mistakes. Cpep was a good fit in Minny because they had Moss and a good WR/TE corps. Their running game was never the focus. In Miami that's not going to be the case. Brees would be a better fit.

I still like Cpep and he is light years above what you guys have had since Marino but I would have taken the chance on Brees. Sad thing is that Brees' career is effectively over now since the Aints are going to suck for the rest of his career there....at least.

I agree with everything you said, the problem is I don't think that Saban had the luxury of looking at it that way. He may well agree with you and me that Brees is better than Culpepper in managing the the offense. However, if their doctors were not confident that Brees would fully recover from his injury, then you have to make a decision based on whether or not you think that your top-paid signal caller will be on the field enough to manage your offense.

Culpepper passed his physical and will be ready to play. Brees did not pass his physical and it's tough to speculate (based on Miami's tests) whether or not he'll play. Health has to be criterion number one and Brees' mental ability to play does him no good if his arm doesn't work.

Night Train
03-21-2006, 05:51 AM
The story is pretty well known. Brees is not as far along in his recovery from surgery as is Culpepper, and Saban didn't want to commit as much money to signing him as he might have had doctors been able to assure him Brees would be close to fully recovered at the start of training camp. Doctors can't give that assurance. That kept the Dolphin's offer down. Brees opted for the money in NO instead. The Dolphins signed Culpepper instead. Culpepper is closer to recovery and does have a major league arm as well as mobility. I personally would have wanted Brees' consistency but whatever.

Culpepper had his knee shredded in 3 places, just Like Willis. To say he will be back in less than a year at full strength is foolish.

We saw how slow Willis healed and he was working out like crazy. His mobility will be diminished, I'm sure. His original target for return was around Nov. 1st.

If the Dolphins wish to rush it, I'm all for it. Teams will take no pity on crushing him and setting back his recovery.

mysticsoto
03-21-2006, 08:08 AM

That wouldn't make any sense. No team is under any obligation to share any information with any other team. This isn't a brotherhood. These are separate franchises - and considering they were initially bidding against each other to get Brees services, it hardly makes any sense that Miami would share *any* information with them whatsoever. NO, I'm sure, also had doctors look at him and make their own evaluations. As far as I can tell, Brees and his agent were trying and actually wanted Miami, but NO was offering more. They were trying to get Miami to offer that amt when Saban said, "Screw you, I'm not taking that risk at that high a price" and chose Culpepper instead. And virtually instantly, Brees signed with NO before they changed their minds on him...

justasportsfan
03-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Guess I missed the part where they said he threw?? :idunno:sheez finfans it was a joke. It was a knock against your team doctors who checked for the wrong injury ...nevermind.

Gunzlingr
03-21-2006, 09:00 AM

Uh, didn't you read your own post? Team physicals are very subjective.

Gunzlingr
03-21-2006, 09:03 AM
PERSONALLY I think Culpepper is better than Brees... ONce healthy I think he's going to find Chris Chambers often.. VERY often.

Lucky for their opponents, he will ignore everyone else. We can hear about the Chambers Quota or something because he will throw to 1 guy and no one else. That should be fun. ;)

Bling
04-10-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm bumping every thread I've started...