PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard Ferrel's comments about our Safeties?

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Has anybody associated with this board.. Heard Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell's alleged comments after acquiring Bowen that we "now have our safeties and they will start and we won't be looking at anymore safeties".

According to the world of "Ice", this was said... When myself several times, Mski and Draftboy all asked him if there was a link or audio to these rather brash statements (In March), he did what he usually does; moves on to the next thread and compares the bills to some dynasty team or Modrak to Ron Wolffe.

I'd be very interested in hearing these comments by Ferrel, as:
1) I'd be very shocked to see a coordinator with Rashad Baker and Matt Bowens on the team to totally dismiss other safeties before a draft.. In Ice's words "We already have our starters."

2) Not myself or a single person on this board has ever heard these statements..If he said him they OBVIOUSLY would be found on Bills.com, yet i"ve searched extensively and haven't a found a single interview or statement remotely in that ball park.

I bring it up because everytime myself, DRaft Boy or anyone brings up Michael Huff or taking a safety in round two. Ice chimes in with his "our DC said we already have our starters at safety" comment.

So since he will continue to dodge the subject based on comments HE said that Ferrel made, does anyone on this board have a link or any kind of audio about Ferrel saying this, let alone even hear it themself?

I am a big Huff fan, and I find it hard to fathom that Marv or Ferrel wouldn't be at all interested in him or a safety like Bullocks in round two.

bigbub2352
03-28-2006, 06:10 PM
I agree about Huff but I am not a fan of taking a saftey this early, also never heard those comments, i think rnd two or one of the extra 3's would be a nice fit for a saftey the kid from Ohio State, and Darnell Bing would look nice back there if we can get them, also i like the kid from Vanderbilt sleeper

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 06:13 PM
WEll I hear ya and respect your opinion. Alot of people dont want to take a safety early. That's cool.. Everyone has some kind of view on safeties.

I'm looking to find out if Ferell said this ridiculous statement, which I'm highly doubting. I think someone here put WORDS in a coordinator's mouth because that individual doesnt want a safety.
PS- That individual is Ice.

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Good thread hopefully he'll respond soon with the comments, bc Id be interested to say the least to see Ferell say Bowen is going to be a starter at S. Also Bigbub whose the S from Vandy your thinking of?

Marvelous
03-28-2006, 06:56 PM
I think safety is a major need. Troy Vincent sucked last year. An dthe year before. When he's healthy he takes very bad angles. I noticed this more & more last season.. IMO Bowens has upside and i don't know enough about him to be negative in him. I also think that fans like Pat who need popular(big names). FS is the big need imo. But if it goes unadressed it'snot the end of the world. We do have Rashad Baker. Bottom line behind that angle is we can't expect every position to be fixed in 1 offseason. Pat, your a smart fan dude. Do you accept that we aren't making a run this year? If ya do then maybe you will see the process as slow....

ParanoidAndroid
03-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Has anybody associated with this board.. Heard Defensive Coordinator Perry Ferell's alleged comments after acquiring Bowen that we "now have our safeties and they will start and we won't be looking at anymore safeties".

According to the world of "Ice", this was said... When myself several times, Mski and Draftboy all asked him if there was a link or audio to these rather brash statements (In March), he did what he usually does; moves on to the next thread and compares the bills to some dynasty team or Modrak to Ron Wolffe.

I'd be very interested in hearing these comments by Ferrel, as:
1) I'd be very shocked to see a coordinator with Rashad Baker and Matt Bowens on the team to totally dismiss other safeties before a draft.. In Ice's words "We already have our starters."

2) Not myself or a single person on this board has ever heard these statements..If he said him they OBVIOUSLY would be found on Bills.com, yet i"ve searched extensively and haven't a found a single interview or statement remotely in that ball park.

I bring it up because everytime myself, DRaft Boy or anyone brings up Michael Huff or taking a safety in round two. Ice chimes in with his "our DC said we already have our starters at safety" comment.

So since he will continue to dodge the subject based on comments HE said that Ferrel made, does anyone on this board have a link or any kind of audio about Ferrel saying this, let alone even hear it themself?

I am a big Huff fan, and I find it hard to fathom that Marv or Ferrel wouldn't be at all interested in him or a safety like Bullocks in round two.

When are you two going to stop this childish crap? You're both guilty of inciting eachother... constantly. It's really friggin' old!

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 07:11 PM
I think safety is a major need. Troy Vincent sucked last year. An dthe year before. When he's healthy he takes very bad angles. I noticed this more & more last season.. IMO Bowens has upside and i don't know enough about him to be negative in him. I also think that fans like Pat who need popular(big names). FS is the big need imo. But if it goes unadressed it'snot the end of the world. We do have Rashad Baker. Bottom line behind that angle is we can't expect every position to be fixed in 1 offseason. Pat, your a smart fan dude. Do you accept that we aren't making a run this year? If ya do then maybe you will see the process as slow....

I think Pat gets the fact that we arent making a run but one thing he and I both wonder is why whenever we suggest drafting a S like Huff why Ice always comes along claiming DC Ferell said we already had our S starters which would imply Bowen and Vincent. I dont think Bowen is anything more than a ST ace which he excels at. Some safeties in the draft I like are;

Michael Huff
Donte Whitner
Ko Simpson
Daniel Bullocks
Pat Watkins
Jason Allen
Calvin Lowry
Marcus Hudson
Scott Ware

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 08:57 PM
I think Pat gets the fact that we arent making a run but one thing he and I both wonder is why whenever we suggest drafting a S like Huff why Ice always comes along claiming DC Ferell said we already had our S starters which would imply Bowen and Vincent. I dont think Bowen is anything more than a ST ace which he excels at. Some safeties in the draft I like are;

Michael Huff
Donte Whitner
Ko Simpson
Daniel Bullocks
Pat Watkins
Jason Allen
Calvin Lowry
Marcus Hudson
Scott Ware
In this particular case it has nothing to do with my dislike for him.. I simply want to know if ANYBODY has this audio as I find it SHOCKING for Ferrel to say in MARCH that we "already have our starting safeties".

There are plenty of good safeties in the draft I'd like to take a look but why invest time reading up on them if this statement is true?

FlyingDutchman
03-28-2006, 09:29 PM
I dont know about anyone else, but I was impressed with Jim Leonhard last year. He primarily played ST however when he did get a crack at some playing time at safety he held his own. Hes no consistant solid safety yet, but I think he has potential and at some point in the future could see a lot of action for the Bills.

Kerr
03-28-2006, 10:16 PM
I dont know about anyone else, but I was impressed with Jim Leonhard last year. He primarily played ST however when he did get a crack at some playing time at safety he held his own. Hes no consistant solid safety yet, but I think he has potential and at some point in the future could see a lot of action for the Bills.

I'm not sure, but I think his height won't be a concern in the cover 2 defense so it's possible he can be effective in this D. Bob Sanders of Indy is only 5-8 or 5-9, which is about the same height as leonhard.

USC_Gamecock
03-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Who the **** is Ferell?!

Our defensive coordinator's name is Perry Fewell (pronounced like fuel)!!!

LMAO!! peace out.

Mr. Miyagi
03-28-2006, 11:13 PM
WEll I hear ya and respect your opinion. Alot of people dont want to take a safety early. That's cool.. Everyone has some kind of view on safeties.

I'm looking to find out if Ferell said this ridiculous statement, which I'm highly doubting. I think someone here put WORDS in a coordinator's mouth because that individual doesnt want a safety.
PS- That individual is Ice.
I'm getting pretty sick and tired of your sissy little feud with ICE. Stop being a bunch of whiners. :rolleyes:

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Why does anytime one of these two speak of the other its always about their different opinions. Get over it and read all their posts. Yea they have had flareups and yea they get in arguments but this thread is not one of them, its an honest question about where Ice gets his information from. Get off his damn back already about it. You either need to learn how to read or you guys need to learn when and where to criticize. Some of you guys are out of line here in this thread bringing this up. This thread violates no TOS, and flames nobody. It asks an honest question and one I have asked multiple times in different threads as has Pat and we havent gotten an answer? So I suppose Im sorry I want to know if Ice has found something out that I havent seen yet? I guess getting more information is a bad thing all the sudden?

Tatonka
03-28-2006, 11:46 PM
actually db.. this thread is just an attempt to prove ice is wrong..

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
actually db.. this thread is just an attempt to prove ice is wrong..

I completely disagree and I know that bc I am mentioned 2 or 3 times in it and I know where it comes from. In another thread from today we were discussing Huff as a S and Ice said that it had been stated by our DC that we are set with our starting safeties I said, link, and there was no reply. Ive seen Pat do the same before and to no avail. Call it proving him wrong but honestly I want to know if it has been said or not. If he made it up then have him say he made it up and let it be over. Its not a huge deal Im just wondering if it has been said or not. If he's got a link he's got a posrep coming, if not no big deal just want to make sure, that Im not off saying Huff is our pick when our DC already said we have our starters at S. I dont give two craps about Pat and Ice's feud. Normally I stay out of it but in this instance for a change Pat did not violate the TOS and yet he's getting crap for asking a honest question even I wanna know the answer to so yea I guess Im defending him on this one, but I dont think this is just an attempt to prove Ice wrong, I think its a thread to get an answer from unless we dont allow that anymore.

Tatonka
03-28-2006, 11:54 PM
agree to disagree.. all pat does is poo on ice.. and vice versa.. it is annoying as heck.. and this is just another thread about that..

Edited by DB

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Nobody is forcing you to read the threads T, you like every other poster has the ignore feature, like I said I usually dont read the threads that these two get into in bc its frustrating, normally I scan it for tos violations bc there always are some and then move it and lock it down. I agree the fued is getting old fast and many posters are very upset about it and it takes the site as a whole down. No disagreement there. But yea I can agree to disagree.

Tatonka
03-29-2006, 12:11 AM
:rofl:

you called the **** poo

:couch:

Bill Brasky
03-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Yo if Baker and Bowen are the only 2 S's on the roster by opening day, I'll have a worse case of the stress-poos than I've had tonight!
:ill:

DraftBoy
03-29-2006, 12:15 AM
:rofl:

you called the **** poo

:couch:

Im going to ban you

jk

Whats wrong with the word poo? Jfreeman used the word dingy.

DraftBoy
03-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Yo if Baker and Bowen are the only 2 S's on the roster by opening day, I'll have a worse case of the stress-****s than I've had tonight!

TMI

Marvelous
03-29-2006, 06:45 AM
So Rashad Baker's upside is maxed out? We don't know that. Any truth to Rashad
being a good SS in our cover 2?
\
DB, you don't know for sure that Bowens will end up ST's. Maybe he was evaluated good by Marv & co.

eyedog
03-29-2006, 07:59 AM
How do you take a safety at #8 when this team has holes all over both lines ?

They can easily get a safety with one of their #3's that could step in and play.

justasportsfan
03-29-2006, 08:03 AM
I dont know about anyone else, but I was impressed with Jim Leonhard last year. He primarily played ST however when he did get a crack at some playing time at safety he held his own. Hes no consistant solid safety yet, but I think he has potential and at some point in the future could see a lot of action for the Bills.Both he and Baker make Wire look obsolete. Leonard to me seems like a Levy type of player. Smart with good instincts

Saratoga Slim
03-29-2006, 08:08 AM
you get a safety with #8 if there is no OL or DL worth taking that high that fits our scheme. Ngata might be an 'elite' talent, but seems to be the general consensus that he's not right for the cover two, on-gap scheme. Bunkley, from what I've seen, is a reach at #8. He's more of a mid first round guy.

#8 is a shot at truly elite talent, and you can't be too mad if a guy like Michael Huff is wearing a Bills uni next season. There are plenty of line prospects in rds 2-4, where we currently have 4 picks.

eyedog
03-29-2006, 08:12 AM
If they take a safety, not even a corner, I would be real mad. I find it hard to believe a guy with Ngata's skills would not be an upgrade in any type of defense used. If not him then Bunkley or even reach a little for Justice. In no way should they be thinking safety on this team at this point.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 08:17 AM
If they take a safety, not even a corner, I would be real mad. I find it hard to believe a guy with Ngata's skills would not be an upgrade in any type of defense used. If not him then Bunkley or even reach a little for Justice. In no way should they be thinking safety on this team at this point.

Huff is both a safety AND a corner..

I wouldnt count on Nate being here next year unless Ralph is prepared to tag and pay him at least $8 million or more next year, or cough up a VERY big signing bonus to get him to sign a long term deal.

It's NOT just about safety.

TedMock
03-29-2006, 08:19 AM
I could easily see us grabbing a safety in round two, just not round one. Ideally, there would be some miracle allowing us to drop down a little in the first round, and grabbing the best DT, or OL available. The draft is pretty deep with interior lineman on both sides of the ball, so picking 2007 starting safety in round two makes sense to me. Maybe Ko Simpson from NC State, or even Darnell Bing from USC. Although Bing plays a little "bigger" than a typical cover-2 guy, he may be talented enough to transition to that style. I tend to think Simpson fits that role a little better though. Our biggest needs seem to be at guard, and I truly think that this year's crop of OG's is fairly deep. We can get real quality in rounds 3 and 4.

Patti120
03-29-2006, 08:25 AM
I forgot about the ignore feature, (too much beer I guess) my life is about to become much better.

ICE74129
03-29-2006, 08:26 AM
I forgot about the ignore feature, (too much beer I guess) my life is about to become much better.

Trust me, you will wonder why you didnt do it sooner.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Alright let me ask anyone willing to listen this.

Are you thinking our draft picks for 2006 in an effort to be a better team fro 2006, or are you thinking beyond 2006 with our draft picks?

At least two of our current starting four in the secondary (Nate and Vincent) may very well not be back next season in Buffalo.. Nate cause of money and Vincent cause of age.

If you're thinking beyond 2006, then a michael huff makes every sense in the world. He's going to the the pick, again unless a ridiculous talent like Hawk or Davis slips to eight.

eyedog
03-29-2006, 08:27 AM
I guess some of you will never learn. After watching another season like last year, isn't it completely obvious at this point it doesn't really matter much who plays in the backfields on both offense and defense unless you have strong lines.
example: look at the drop in play from both Mcgahee and Clements last season.
It's not that these guys can't play, like some seem to think, it's because the lines suck so bad there is only so much they can do.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 08:32 AM
I guess some of you will never learn. After watching another season like last year, isn't it completely obvious at this point it doesn't really matter much who plays in the backfields on both offense and defense unless you have strong lines.
example: look at the drop in play from both Mcgahee and Clements last season.
It's not that these guys can't play, like some seem to think, it's because the lines suck so bad there is only so much they can do.

well said, and you're right.

But the draft is seven rounds.. GOOD draft people will find talent in rounds 2-4 better than others.. Those are clearly line spots. at least for Buffalo.

Top ten pick, you take the player who can help your football team the most..There is no OL outside of Brick worthy of being #8, and Bunkley at 8 could be a reach (then again maybe its not)

If we're going line with the first pick, Marv needs to trade down to a team hot for YOung or Huff and get value for the linemen he takes first overall.

eyedog
03-29-2006, 08:37 AM
In the perfect world a trade down would be great but that's easier said then done.
If I'm drafting I still take Ngata . I don't care what defense they are running, big men with his skills are hard to find.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 08:42 AM
1- If they are sticking to a system it makes little sense to draft a player who clearly doesnt fit it... If thats the case, Milloy and especially adams should still be here, adams given we have Tim Anderson as our next best linemen.. Cut him after the draft if anything.

2-Wouldn't be shocked if Ngata is gone at 8. SF at 6 and Oakland at 7 are both possibilities.

3- No matter WHO they take, its going to be an improvement SOMEWHERE so that's good.. This team needs more bullets for their gun, period.

eyedog
03-29-2006, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Ngata was gone also. Reason being is you don't pass up linemen like that if available.
There are a hell of a lot more d-backs running around who can play then d-linemen.

ICE74129
03-29-2006, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Ngata was gone also. Reason being is you don't pass up linemen like that if available.
There are a hell of a lot more d-backs running around who can play then d-linemen.

It's nice to see another poster get it. We still have the fans of Tom Donahoe around here. Just buy icing, don't worry about a cake.

We need lines. We need to take and spend the first 4-5 picks on both lines. 'but I don't have so and so rated worth the 8th pick'. Who cares what some posters have so and so ranked. We need lines.

I will again refrence the guy that apperantly gets it since his team is consistantly making playoff runs (and BTW just won the superbowl). Bill Cowher at the Probowl on NFLN said 'If you have a need, and you can draft the 1st or 2nd rated guy at that need position....you take him'. That means even over BPA. We have a clear cut need at DT then LG And maybe LT. Safety is fine. TE is fine. LB's are fine. We need lines.

It cracks me up that the same folks *****ing about not being worth a damn for the last 6 years are the same ones wanting skill positions instead of addressing the needs on the lines.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 08:56 AM
It's nice to see another poster get it. We still have the fans of Tom Donahoe around here. Just buy icing, don't worry about a cake.

We need lines. We need to take and spend the first 4-5 picks on both lines. 'but I don't have so and so rated worth the 8th pick'. Who cares what some posters have so and so ranked. We need lines.

I will again refrence the guy that apperantly gets it since his team is consistantly making playoff runs (and BTW just won the superbowl). Bill Cowher at the Probowl on NFLN said 'If you have a need, and you can draft the 1st or 2nd rated guy at that need position....you take him'. That means even over BPA. We have a clear cut need at DT then LG And maybe LT. Safety is fine. TE is fine. LB's are fine. We need lines.

It cracks me up that the same folks *****ing about not being worth a damn for the last 6 years are the same ones wanting skill positions instead of addressing the needs on the lines.

That's fine.. Now how about this audio that YOU claim our DC said about our safeties?

Whining and being a Tom Donahoe "worshipper" by wanting a skill position player at 8 is one thing.

LYING and putting words in a Buffalo Bills' coach is another

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 08:58 AM
When is the LAST time that Bill Cowher had the 8th pick in the draft?

Last two picks he had in the teens, he took a QB (roth) and a safety (Polamalu)

Get a clue, please.

TigerJ
03-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Don't know if Fewel said it, but I don't think the Bills regard safety as the critical need that some do. I suspect that our starters will be Troy Vincent and Matt Bowen, unless Matt Bowen greatly disappoints. Depth will be Rashad Baker, who I think is capable of starting, and Coy Wire who isn't. If the Bills look at another safety, I think it will be a late draft choice or undrafted free agent. Then of course there is Rob Lee who the Bills assigned to NFLE. Just my opinion.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Don't know if Fewel said it, but I don't think the regard safety as the critical need that some do. I suspect that our starters will be Troy Vincent and Matt Bowen, unless Matt Bowen greatly disappoints. Depth will be Rashad Baker, who I think is capable of starting, and Coy Wire who isn't. If the Bills look at another safety, I think it will be a late draft choice or undrafted free agent. Then of course there is Rob Lee who the Bills assigned to NFLE. Just my opinion.

Its a very good point you make, your most likely right.. I dont even have a big problem with Bowen or Baker.. My opinion on whether I think they're starting material is irrelevant. My opinion means nothing to the Bills and little to most people on here. I"m cool with that.

What Im not cool with is having words put into the mouth of a Bills coach who obviously never said what someone alledges he said. No coach in their right mind would say that in March, especially since its been made clear there's going to be competition at every position.

Every year I enter a Mock draft with a bunch of people all over the country, and we get points for every player that's projected correctly.. So I'm simply looking for proof on what Ice claims, as I wont bother to put any safeties for the bills on my mock draft if this 'statement" that Fewel made is true.

ICE74129
03-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Don't know if Fewel said it, but I don't think the regard safety as the critical need that some do. I suspect that our starters will be Troy Vincent and Matt Bowen, unless Matt Bowen greatly disappoints. Depth will be Rashad Baker, who I think is capable of starting, and Coy Wire who isn't. If the Bills look at another safety, I think it will be a late draft choice or undrafted free agent. Then of course there is Rob Lee who the Bills assigned to NFLE. Just my opinion.

He said it. When I first refrenced the article (which phil made me edit) I highlighted the part where he said Bowen would act as the QB for our secondary. What is up now is a greatly reduced version of the original article. They dont' show as much in the video as they did either. I can only figure this is for archive reasons.

If both lines had been addressed in FA (And marv tried) then I would be on the V Davis bandwagon. But we have clear cut needs at DT, LG, And in my opinion LT. I would even be drafting a guard in the 3rd round that I thought could replace Villiarial Next year. (note Carolina is going to start a 3rd round Guard this year I believe so it can be done).

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 10:47 AM
where did he say it? I looked for this article your referencing that Phil made you edit.. I cant find it on here and I been searching forever.

What article are you talking about?

DraftBoy
03-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Bowen has never started a game in his NFL career but has always been a good ST player and a good depth S. To me the signing of Bowen more and more signalizes the fact that Coy Wire is gone and that Leonhard needs to again bust his ass in camp to win a spot. There are lineman here worth the 8 pick to us. They are; Winston Justice, and Broderick Bunkley. Both would be considered reaches at 8, but both could be picked there if we cant trade down. Both would be huge upgrades on the lines. Let me ask you however, how good is a DL when a team can just easily pass right over the top of us all day long? I know lines are the key to football but there are DT's and OL that are going to be good picks come round 5. The best pick at 8 is going to be Michael Huff should he fall to us bc he has top 5 talent. He will be the next gamechanger in the molds of Ed Reed, Troy P., Roy Williams, and others. He's played CB and S. He was the one that lead that Texas defense to beat USC. He hits like a Mac truck and can pick off passes. We pass on this kid and we are giving a gift to Detroit and we may live to regret missing out.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Bowens has started, though it was in 2003 and since the Skins have drafted SEan Taylor and signed Archuleta...

I agree with you on all points regarding Huff.. Bowens at worst spells goodbye to Coy Wire, who is HORRIBLE in pass coverage. He will be a ST ace and see playing time at safety.. Depending on how the draft plays out he may end up starting, though I highely doubt it.

Huff can start from day one at safety. He could also move to corner should nate be gone at season's end.

Huff is second on my draft wish list (thats realistic), behind Davis, who I think will be gone to SF at 6..

DraftBoy
03-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Bowens has started, though it was in 2003 and since the Skins have drafted SEan Taylor and signed Archuleta...

I agree with you on all points regarding Huff.. Bowens at worst spells goodbye to Coy Wire, who is HORRIBLE in pass coverage. He will be a ST ace and see playing time at safety.. Depending on how the draft plays out he may end up starting, though I highely doubt it.

Huff can start from day one at safety. He could also move to corner should nate be gone at season's end.

Huff is second on my draft wish list (thats realistic), behind Davis, who I think will be gone to SF at 6..

Thanks for the info didnt know he started in 03 just looked at buffalbills.com and they didnt list it.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Huff would give the Bills one of the best secondaries in the league, because I think McGee is REALLY coming into his own as a corner.