PDA

View Full Version : Nate Clements - what a team player

Bill Brasky
04-08-2006, 06:51 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Nate Clements (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5468) was a no-show when the Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf) opened a voluntary mini-camp Friday. The star cornerback still had failed to accept a one-year contract after being designated the team's franchise player.

New coach Dick Jauron called it important to have Clements attend camp to learn the new defensive system Jauron and coordinator Perry Fewell are introducing.

"We'd like to have him in, but we also understand his position in this thing," said Jauron, the former Chicago Bears (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chi) coach, who took over after Mike Mularkey's abrupt resignation in January.

"It'll straighten itself out over time one way or the other. We obviously value his abilities a great deal."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2401092

DraftBoy
04-08-2006, 07:03 PM
what a douchebag

Bill Brasky
04-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Dick Jauron... nice call on this one...

What a pushover.

"We'd like to have 11 guys on the field, but I completely understand if only 5 guys want to go out and give some effort"

deathadder
04-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Do you understand that he did not sign his Frachise offer? That means he is under no obligation to show up at the mini-camp. There is no need to call him names. Now, McGahee is a different story. Even though it is voluntary, he should have atleast showed up.

Dozerdog
04-08-2006, 07:14 PM
McGahee had a prior commitment and should be in for the rest of the camp.

If I were Clements I would not have shown up either until the contract is done. He's not doing what any other tagged player hasn't done.

Imagine if he gets injured like Kevin Everett without a deal in place? He's be ****ed.

Bill Brasky
04-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Do you understand that he did not sign his Frachise offer? That means he is under no obligation to show up at the mini-camp. There is no need to call him names. Now, McGahee is a different story. Even though it is voluntary, he should have atleast showed up.

Then I guess the FO is under no obligation to sign his overrated ass to a huge deal if he's going to piss and moan about not making what everybody else makes.

Make some plays and he'll get paid. Show up to camp and make a commitment to winning rather than a commitment to your wallet and you will be rewarded.

Get burned for 222 yards by Chris Chambers in 2 QTRs of football and expect to be paid accordingly.

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-08-2006, 07:38 PM
He had just an awful year last year and Terrence McGee showed him up every single game so he needs to stop *****ing and get his ass in and figure out how to stop chambers, branch, and well i guess the jets suck pretty bad but you get the picture.

ICE74129
04-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Trade him. find someone to give up a low first or really high 2nd and maybe a 4th. Take huff to replace him at #8 then take a Tackle with the 2nd pick

deathadder
04-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Then I guess the FO is under no obligation to sign his overrated ass to a huge deal if he's going to piss and moan about not making what everybody else makes.

Make some plays and he'll get paid. Show up to camp and make a commitment to winning rather than a commitment to your wallet and you will be rewarded.

Get burned for 222 yards by Chris Chambers in 2 QTRs of football and expect to be paid accordingly.

Alright, would you like to show up to work without any contract and then somehow get injured? Then work decides they do not need you and cut you loose. He is not under contract right now so he is under no obligation to attend anything until he signs the offer sheet.

Bill Brasky
04-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Alright, would you like to show up to work without any contract? Then work decides they do not need you and cut you loose.
Yeah... it's called an internship. And I've had plenty.

I guess he's exempt from earning his pay since he's a high and mighty athlete.

EricStratton
04-08-2006, 09:37 PM

So you are comparing an intership with a player participating in a camp without a multi-million dollar contract signed?

I think that's what you're doing but it is so stupid I just want to be sure.

STAMPY
04-08-2006, 10:42 PM

Are you serious LOL

ParanoidAndroid
04-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Trade him. find someone to give up a low first or really high 2nd and maybe a 4th. Take huff to replace him at #8 then take a Tackle with the 2nd pick

I'm with you on this one, but I don't think anyone will give al that up for him. We're stuck with a temporary headache for now. Unfortunately the largest cause of the headache will be the constant b****ing about how selfish Nate is.

BTW for those who mentioned Chambers...Our whole secondary was burnt by Chambers including McGee and Greer. They moved him all over the field and no one thought that maybe he should be doubled. Chalk that one up to Gray.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-09-2006, 07:49 AM
This tells me that the team might be trying to shop him around. I never try to assume anything when a player doesn't show for these things. It doesn't do any good.

J TES
04-09-2006, 08:39 AM
He just doesn't wanna play for this crapy, going no where orginization anymore. This team is heading in the wrong direction, with no end in site. Criag Nall, Losman, Holcomb. Thats gotta be the worst set of QB's in the history of football. If I were Clements I wouldnt wanna be on Buffalo either. I'd wanna be on some other racking up the INT's

The_Philster
04-09-2006, 08:45 AM

and your job carries a high risk of a career-ending injury?

BillsFever21
04-09-2006, 09:02 AM
There isn't a player out there that would show up if he isn't under contract. That's just a smart career and business decision there. I wouldn't do it either.

The only thing that I'm upset about is him being unwilling to sign a contract or the franchise tender. It doesn't look like he wants to be here.

Dr. Lecter
04-09-2006, 09:17 AM
There isn't a player out there that would show up if he isn't under contract. That's just a smart career and business decision there. I wouldn't do it either.

The only thing that I'm upset about is him being unwilling to sign a contract or the franchise tender. It doesn't look like he wants to be here.

Most franchise players don't sign their tenders until trainng camp. As fro the contract since we don't know what offers have been exchanged, I see no reason to criticize.

One option for the Bills is to sign Nate with a contract with a smaller sigining bonus, but a larger roster bonus for this season. That way the bonus won't have to be spread out and the Bills can use the space created by EM's trade to extend Nate.

Bill Brasky
04-09-2006, 10:22 AM
comments like these are exactly why athletes always get what they want. the public is just willing to give these guys a free pass because they can catch a ball or run fast.

didn't we all play football for fun when we were younger? i don't seem to remember getting paid for playing in pee wee leagues or high school, and i ****ed up my back to the point where i wake up and cannot walk some days. i guess that is not career ending... i guess i should have held out of voluntary summer camps so i could get maybe a free lunch at school or some other contractual obligation.

i have no sympathy for this baby. he has played like **** for the past few seasons, and was a big reason this team lost a couple games last year... yet you guys are willing to let him sit out when there's an entire new coaching staff putting in a brand new system, and he's suppossed to be a team leader.

how many guys sit out when offered a franchise tag? did sean alexander do it last year? no. did edgerin james? no. did countless other guys? not that i recall. they were unhappy, just like Clements, but they signed the deal and let their play do the talking. something Clements obviously knows he can't count on considering his recent play.

you guys are unreal.

Dr. Lecter
04-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Did James and Alexander show up at the voluntary minicamps without a deal signed? I doubt it. (I am almost positive that Alexander did not).

The difference between yours or anybody elses days in high school or midgets or any other league is that you were not making a living doing so. To compare your time in high school to Nate's NFL career is comparing apples and oranges.

As for other players and their franchise tag, look at the history,Most player sign them around the time of TC. Orlando Pace is wll known for signing his deals at the end of August. Walter Jones was never in camp on time.
People are NOT giving him a free ride

As for unreal, comparing high school fotball to NFL football and the expectations of both is unreal.

Dr. Lecter
04-09-2006, 10:49 AM
BTW, just to add, I wish the NFL was not as much about money as it is now. But sadly it is. And what Nate is doing is the norm. Even is he was here, he might not be working out witht he team, unless he signed an injury waiver.

Bill Brasky
04-09-2006, 10:49 AM
The difference between yours or anybody elses days in high school or midgets or any other league is that you were not making a living doing so. To compare your time in high school to Nate's NFL career is comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not throwing an Al Bundy "look at me and cry situation" here.

It's the principle of the matter.

And furthermore, if half these guys studied or actually went to class and got degrees while they were in college instead of ****ing around expecting big deals in the NFL by leaving early, they wouldn't have to worry about being unemployed if they do, knock on wood, suffer a career ending injury.

Aside from that, this is getting blown out... I see the majority of arguments say he's under no contractual obligation to be there and he can get hurt. When was the last time anybody suffered a career ending injury at a voluntary April camp? Are they out there doing machine gun drills? Are they doing chase and tackles? What is so dangerous at these camps that he can't at least go there and look at the new playbook or talk with his new coaches about what is being done that can help Nate Clements.

It would only help his cause and make him look better by at least showing up and studying the new defense or doing something. Sitting and pouting does nothing. If I was Marv or a GM, I would look at that and consider giving a little extra just by making the effort. By him throwing a hissy fit it shows me he doesn't want to be there for the team, only for himself.

The_Philster
04-09-2006, 10:50 AM
By him throwing a hissy fit <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->link?

ParanoidAndroid
04-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I see what you are saying freeman, I am with you on the subject of spoiled professional atheletes. They are put up on a pedastel and some take advantage of their status in an ungrateful and repulsive way. It's a very organic result of the nature of capitolism...you see the same thing with actors and talking heads. They are generators of mass amounts of revenue which annoints them into the upper echelon of our society even as their contribution is not of much real value. Justice is bought and sold, and unless you have money, there isn't a dang thing you can do about it. That is, unless you join the revolution when it starts. :) Rant over.

Dr. Lecter
04-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm not throwing an Al Bundy "look at me and cry situation" here.

It's the principle of the matter.

And furthermore, if half these guys studied or actually went to class and got degrees while they were in college instead of ****ing around expecting big deals in the NFL by leaving early, they wouldn't have to worry about being unemployed if they do, knock on wood, suffer a career ending injury.

Aside from that, this is getting blown out... I see the majority of arguments say he's under no contractual obligation to be there and he can get hurt. When was the last time anybody suffered a career ending injury at a voluntary April camp? Are they out there doing machine gun drills? Are they doing chase and tackles? What is so dangerous at these camps that he can't at least go there and look at the new playbook or talk with his new coaches about what is being done that can help Nate Clements.

It would only help his cause and make him look better by at least showing up and studying the new defense or doing something. Sitting and pouting does nothing. If I was Marv or a GM, I would look at that and consider giving a little extra just by making the effort. By him throwing a hissy fit it shows me he doesn't want to be there for the team, only for himself.

I agree on the college part. Hell, make all student athletes stay for four years before they go pro. But that would be nice and is not the current reality of the situation. Not to mention anybocy here would rather have a career making millions of $$$ a year instead of doing the 9-5 thing making less that 6 figures. So obviously playing the NFL is much prefferred for any of these guys.

As for the injury part, while it might not be career ending, Kevin Everett tore his knee up damn good last year in a voluntary minicamp. So severe injuries can and do occur.

TacklingDummy
04-09-2006, 11:32 AM

Lies, Lies, Lies.

Nate wasn't even on Chambers half the time. Great coaching by Jerry Gray.

John Doe
04-09-2006, 11:36 AM
So many people were carping and moaning that we did not spend mega-bucks to sign the big names in free agency, and now they want to get rid of Clements.

Go figure.

TacklingDummy
04-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah, and the Bills are pretty solid at the CB position. Let's weaken it.

The_Philster
04-09-2006, 12:03 PM
You know, I'm getting a little ticked off at the ridiculously stupid posts...they're causing me to posrep TacklingDummy :ill:

patmoran2006
04-09-2006, 12:18 PM
This tells me that the team might be trying to shop him around. I never try to assume anything when a player doesn't show for these things. It doesn't do any good.
NOthing should be assumed.

They're not going to trade him as his value in a trade would not even come close to what he's worth..

He's not here because he hasnt signed his tender and I wouldnt be either.. If he gets hurt he's totally screwed.

I also highly doubt given what's going on here with wilson, the players they brought in compared to players they let go, Moulds, etc .. I highly doubt he wants to be a Bill.

My prediction is he will eventually the sign the tender and play for Buffalo in 2005.. But unless Ralph pays him money near the top of CB's in the league long-term and with a huge signing bonus, he will never sign an extension, and this will probably be his last year as a Bill.

Unless we tag him again and pay him about $8 million in 2007, and NO corner is worth $8 million per year.