PDA

View Full Version : How cocky is Justice?

Please Gimme VD
04-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Winston Justice to ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

"I think I'm the best tackle in the nation," Justice said matter-of-factly during a phone interview over the weekend. "If I don't prove it in the draft, I'll prove it in the NFL. I'm bigger, stronger, and faster than [Ferguson] is. I believe I'm a better prospect because I have more upside. I believe I proved I'm a better athlete than he is on my pro day. I think I'll be the better football player in the NFL."

That's a lot of talk to back-up. I HATE his attitude.

lordofgun
04-22-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm starting to like him more and more. :up:

OpIv37
04-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Is anyone else having flashbacks to McGahee's "best back in the league" comments?

This is bulletin board fodder for other teams and Justice better STFU if he wants to get anywhere in the NFL.

Please Gimme VD
04-22-2006, 10:51 AM
He's the only player out of all the discussion going on with our first pick, that I'd be EXTREMELY pissed off if we took.

OpIv37
04-22-2006, 10:51 AM
He's the only player out of all the discussion going on with our first pick, that I'd be EXTREMELY pissed off if we took.

I'd be livid if we took Cutler or Young.

Night Train
04-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Winston Justice to ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

"I think I'm the best tackle in the nation," Justice said matter-of-factly during a phone interview over the weekend. "If I don't prove it in the draft, I'll prove it in the NFL. I'm bigger, stronger, and faster than [Ferguson] is. I believe I'm a better prospect because I have more upside. I believe I proved I'm a better athlete than he is on my pro day. I think I'll be the better football player in the NFL."

Good. That means he's open to coaching and willing to work.

Bulldog
04-22-2006, 01:14 PM
The guy is trying to improve his draft status. What the hell would you expect him to say? Some of you people read into these things way too much.

Mitchy moo
04-22-2006, 01:16 PM
I'd be livid if we took Cutler or Young.

Young is my 1st choice

OpIv37
04-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Young is my 1st choice

Why?

He's just as unproven as JP (I would argue moreso). He has 0 NFL experience (as does any drafted QB).

He has an odd throwing motion.

He played in a simple offense.

He's a "run first" mobile QB, and that prototype has had limited success in the NFL.

Even if he turns out to be a good NFL QB, he will NOT be an immediate contributor, whereas Hawk, Ngata, Davis, Huff, Ferguson, even Justice- can step in and help this team THIS YEAR.

The last thing we need is another project QB when we already have Losman, Nall, Woodbury and that other NFLE guy. The guy's basically JP minus 2 years of NFL development.

ICE74129
04-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Why?

He's just as unproven as JP (I would argue moreso). He has 0 NFL experience (as does any drafted QB).

He has an odd throwing motion.

He played in a simple offense.

He's a "run first" mobile QB, and that prototype has had limited success in the NFL.

Even if he turns out to be a good NFL QB, he will NOT be an immediate contributor, whereas Hawk, Ngata, Davis, Huff, Ferguson, even Justice- can step in and help this team THIS YEAR.

The last thing we need is another project QB when we already have Losman, Nall, Woodbury and that other NFLE guy. The guy's basically JP minus 2 years of NFL development.

Ignore him.

Jan Reimers
04-22-2006, 02:45 PM
I like cocky in athletes, as long as they can back it up AND don't fall all the way into the megalomaniacal TO mode.

ICE74129
04-22-2006, 02:59 PM
I like cocky in athletes, as long as they can back it up AND don't fall all the way into the megalomaniacal TO mode.

Agreed what is he supposed to say 'I suck and am at best the #2 guy at OT in the draft'?

SquishDaFish
04-22-2006, 03:05 PM
I love that attitude. I say trade down a few spots and take him.

FlyingDutchman
04-22-2006, 03:13 PM

agreed. humble guys are good for PR, however you gotta have a swagger to be the best. i played sports all my life, including lacrosse at a division 1 college, everytime i went up against someone i had it in my mind that this person doesnt even deserve to be on the same field as me. who the hell did he think he was to try to take me on. i still had tremendous respect for everyone i played against before and after games, however during the game i had it in my mind that nobody could stop me. call it cocky or whatever you will, but i think its necessary to have an attitude. just like you said though, you have to be able to back it up, and you can never let it get to the point where you think your beyond your own team and beyond the game in general.

chernobylwraiths
04-22-2006, 03:20 PM
agreed. humble guys are good for PR, however you gotta have a swagger to be the best. i played sports all my life, including lacrosse at a division 1 college, everytime i went up against someone i had it in my mind that this person doesnt even deserve to be on the same field as me. who the hell did he think he was to try to take me on. i still had tremendous respect for everyone i played against before and after games, however during the game i had it in my mind that nobody could stop me. call it cocky or whatever you will, but i think its necessary to have an attitude. just like you said though, you have to be able to back it up, and you can never let it get to the point where you think your beyond your own team and beyond the game in general.

Barry Sanders, Ladanian Tomlinson, Joe Montana... yep, you gotta have that swagger and arrogant attitude to be the best.

ICE74129
04-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Barry Sanders, Ladanian Tomlinson, Joe Montana... yep, you gotta have that swagger and arrogant attitude to be the best.

Yeah like Kelly, Thomas, Jim brown, John Elway, Dan Marino, LT (Linebacker) Bruce Smith etc.

FlyingDutchman
04-22-2006, 03:40 PM

first of all, nobody said arrogant. arrogant is someone like TO and if you had read the bottom of my post you would see what i feel about that. second, just bc these guys were quiet and didnt make their feelings known doesnt mean they didnt believe they were the best and have that attitude. look, im a firm believer that attitude and having your mind right is very important in athletic production. im not gonna get into my personnel sports experiences in depth, however when my mind was right, so was my game. its that simple.

FlyingDutchman
04-22-2006, 03:51 PM

also, wow 3 examples. that has more to do with their personalities being quiet. also, dont tell me joe montana didnt have a swagger. you obviously have no clue what youre talking about. you dont have to be a flambouyant a**hole to be cocky. i can bury you with a list of players who were cocky and maybe not even loud about it, and were at the top of their game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/centurys_best/news/1999/08/13/flashback_montana2/
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=j>Before Joe Montana was drafted, NFL scouts thought the QB was cocky and didn't have great ... </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

YardRat
04-22-2006, 04:12 PM
I don't care if he's cocky or quiet...if the Bills draft him, I just want him to be a player.