PDA

View Full Version : gandy isnt going anywhere...

Tatonka
05-08-2006, 11:49 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060508/1067899.asp

In fact, he probably was the most consistent performer on an offensive line maligned for its inconsistency.

"He's done a terrific job for us," McNally said. "He's done everything we've asked and he was very consistent last year. It's good to have him for a second year."

ryjam282
05-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Well that explains a lot...Why we didn't go after a LT in the draft. It will be interesting to see what comes of him. I wasn't that down on him last year. Sure, he isn't Walter Jones out there but then again no one is. I thought he did a solid job. Not a pro bowler but not a laughing stock either. He should only get better with Mouse coaching him.

Forward_Lateral
05-08-2006, 12:21 PM
The problem came from the interior of the O-line last year, for the most part. Anderson, Teague and Villarial all played like crap. Villarial was hurt for some games, and when Preston filled in, he looked like crap too.

I thought the tackles (Peters and Gandy) did an adequate job.

Saratoga Slim
05-08-2006, 12:29 PM
The problem came from the interior of the O-line last year, for the most part. Anderson, Teague and Villarial all played like crap. Villarial was hurt for some games, and when Preston filled in, he looked like crap too.

I agree. I think LT needs an upgrade if we're going to have a truly spectacular line, but interior was certainly a bigger problem. I'm interested to see how Butler figures into their plans, and if Peters stays on the right side.

mysticsoto
05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I agree. I think LT needs an upgrade if we're going to have a truly spectacular line, but interior was certainly a bigger problem. I'm interested to see how Butler figures into their plans, and if Peters stays on the right side.

Butler is a long term solution and will likely be in the PS this year. Gibson will back up at tackle position and maybe even McFarland. I have to believe that they will dump Jerman. However, if they do want more backup than those two, I'd take either Butler or Pennington over Jerman!!!

Tatonka
05-08-2006, 02:33 PM
merge this with the other thread.

ParanoidAndroid
05-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Butler is a long term solution and will likely be in the PS this year. Gibson will back up at tackle position and maybe even McFarland. I have to believe that they will dump Jerman. However, if they do want more backup than those two, I'd take either Butler or Pennington over Jerman!!!
McFarland? He's a goner. No way would we have drafted 2 OT's if we didn't have plans to dump some practice squad meat IMO. Jerman was the back-up last year and while he isn't great, he's still better than McFarland. :ill: I'm hoping Butler wins the back-up position on the right while Peters makes a slide if Gandy gets hurt.

patmoran2006
05-08-2006, 06:30 PM

Well said. Like anyone I'd love to have a Walter Jones at LT, but Gandy was not the reason our OL sucked last year. The middle was putrid and hopefully Fowler and Reyes get that up to par.

justasportsfan
05-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Butler is a long term solution and will likely be in the PS this year.

Isn't he fair game to other teams if he placed on the PS?

billsburgh
05-09-2006, 07:36 AM
yes, if he is on their active roster

mysticsoto
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM

Yes, but he'll be too raw to be a starter and too frail to even backup. People won't grab him. He's just not ready.

mysticsoto
05-09-2006, 08:57 AM
McFarland? He's a goner. No way would we have drafted 2 OT's if we didn't have plans to dump some practice squad meat IMO. Jerman was the back-up last year and while he isn't great, he's still better than McFarland. :ill: I'm hoping Butler wins the back-up position on the right while Peters makes a slide if Gandy gets hurt.

I would completely disagree. Jerman ranked down there with Pucillo as one of the worst Olinemen I've ever seen. McFarland made vast improvements last year and is staying in shape (and hopefully getting stronger) playing in NFL Europe. We'll have to see if he's improved, but in watching him in TC last year, I saw remarkable improvement. I agree with Peters making a slide, but Gibson would probably take over RT instead of Jerman. Jerman to me is completely useless and a waste of a roster spot!!!

justasportsfan
05-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Yes, but he'll be too raw to be a starter and too frail to even backup. People won't grab him. He's just not ready. I wouldn't risk it. Cut McFarland or someone else on the team but placing him on PS is too risky.

mysticsoto
05-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't risk it. Cut McFarland or someone else on the team but placing him on PS is too risky.

Risky? Why? He was a 2nd day pick. He has a long way to go before he's ready to play in the NFL. No team is going to use up a roster spot for someone that is probably atleast 2 years away from being able to contribute...McFarland has more upside right now than Butler does. It would be a mistake to cut McFarland over Butler this year. Even next year, Butler will likely not be ready - but might be ready for a backup position - depending on how he progresses this year.

ICE74129
05-09-2006, 11:22 AM
We better pray JMac is right about Gandy. I feel Fowler is going to shock folks at Center and Reyes is an upgrade to fat Mike Anderson. I am just wondering when he will practice with the first string and put anderson to pasture?

Kerr
05-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Aside from Peters, Gandy was the only other bright spot of that line last year. He did a fine job out there for being a journeyman.

billsburgh
05-10-2006, 12:00 AM
and having a crappy guard next to him

Night Train
05-10-2006, 04:47 AM

My observations to the letter. Teague was beyond bad. I never saw a Center get run over more than him by the opposing DT. I'll take my chances with Fowler and hope the Guard play improves.

Gandy was the least of our problems on the OL last season.

jamze132
05-10-2006, 06:47 AM
I think the offensive line will surprise some people this year with there play. Most so-called NFL experts seem to think that our line is in shambles, and they may be right, but I don't think we are in as bad as shape as most see it.