Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holcomb

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Holcomb

Pat Kirwan brought up an interesting point in one of his blurbs this week. He noted that Holcomb has only had 9 throws all summer during preseason. I was thinking about it, and the turn of events that have transpired this off season from last are quite interesting and ironic (in a sense).

I'm not dismissing Losman's efforts. I really think the kid has come a long way from a year ago. However, the conspiracy theorist in me has me wondering how much all of this wasn't planned from the get go. Seriously. Let's look back at camp a few weeks before the first preseason game. The QB race was a dead heat. Well, at least between Holcomb and Losman, although Nall was coming into his own before the injury anyway.

Holcomb gets the start and gets pulled after just one quarter of football. Granted he played terribly flat and couldn't get the ball moving to save his life, but it seems to me that in a true sense of a QB competition you would have let him at least attempt to struggle through most of the second to regain some lost effort.

Now, I know they also wanted to see Losman with the first team, so giving him the second QRTR makes sense, but letting him ride through with the second and third team to the middle of the fourth QRTR leaves me scratching my head.

I can except the fact that they wanted Losman to attempt to gain momentum againt Carolina. An attmept to build his confidence.. but the fact that they didn't extend Holcomb the same opportunity the following week has me wondering if the coaching staff hadn't set JP up to easily succeed.

Much like Losman a year ago, doesn't the decision of the coaching staff, of having pulled Holcomb without any reservation, help destory a little of his confidence ever so slightly? I think the reports of his performance in practice the week before the Bengals game certainly provides evidence in the case.

In preseason week 2 Nall is back and they want to give him full on opportunity to prove himself. JP starts, has a very flat first qrtr, yet is allowed to to stay in through the 2nd qrtr to redeem his abilities. Its seemingly hypocritical that Holcomb was not offered the same opportunity the week prior. Almost immediatly Losman nails a strike to Evans downfield and his confidence excells, his momentum continues and his landing the starting job is now even more secured.

Holcomb is given just the 3rd QRTR to out play his young competitor. 3 short drives and he's out. Nall comes in and has some success moving the ball. Holcomb again slides in confidence as well in his own ability. Once again his performance at practice proves this theory.

If all of that wasn't interesting enough, in game three, Holcomb isn't even given the chance to play. Losman comes into the game not having to look over his shoulder as much as weeks past as he knows that Kelly will be riding pine and Nall still has much to prove. JP puts up his best game yet and is announced Week 1 regular season starter days after.

Now, it's possible that I could be reading too much into this, but it seems to me as if Holcomb was phased out. Rather than losing the position he was set up in a lose-lose scenerio.

With all that being said, I've always been a Losman supporter, but I just can't help but notice the events that have occured through the course of this so called "QB Competition".

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Holcomb

you think too much

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa
    you think too much
    Now there's something that I've never been accused of before.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thoughts?

Yup, if Holcomb was lights out in the camp he would have had a fair shot. In fact that was his fair shot.

When the coaching staff saw that a Young, and Green JP was ahead of him from teh get go the decision became pretty easy. It all fell into place when Holcomb looked totally unprepared in the first game, and they had to get him off the field to save embarrasment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 661 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyE
    The QB race was a dead heat. Well, at least between Holcomb and Losman, although Nall was coming into his own before the injury anyway.
    Are you kidding me? Holcomb was terrible in camp. All he did was throw little 5-6yard passes.
    Losman was clearly the better QB in camp.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS! YES, the coaching staff wants JP to suceed, so yes they planned this all along, if you have a young QB with shaken confidence from the last yo-yo staff, do you start him pre-season game 1 on the road against a great Carolina D no, you start him game 2 at home this only makes sense. They are brining him along slowly and developing a NFL QB what a concept. I like the direction we are going and will in the next year or 2 return to the top!

P.S. Marv trade Nate for a draft pick now!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny
    Are you kidding me? Holcomb was terrible in camp. All he did was throw little 5-6yard passes.
    Losman was clearly the better QB in camp.
    That's just not a true statement. Both Holcomb and Losman were neck in neck before preseason started. Otherwise explain to me how Holcomb got the start over JP in game 1.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BidsJr
    Thoughts?

Yup, if Holcomb was lights out in the camp he would have had a fair shot. In fact that was his fair shot.

When the coaching staff saw that a Young, and Green JP was ahead of him from teh get go the decision became pretty easy. It all fell into place when Holcomb looked totally unprepared in the first game, and they had to get him off the field to save embarrasment.
    Isn't it more emabarrasing to be pulled without a full opportunity or shot to prove yourself?

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Of course ! It was all orchestrated to sell Losman to the locker room.

TD blew his stack after the Pittsburgh game in 2004, when Bledsoe completed 12-15 passes to the turf. He cut Bledsoe and force fed an obviously " Not ready for prime time " Losman to the roster. Horrible move.

This off-season, Jauron could see Losman had the most talent but Marv aquired Nall, just in case Losman did fall on his face. Holcomb could never be considered a serious candidate, especially after that Jets game to finish the season. He looked completely done as an NFL QB that day. This summer, he looked even worse !

The Bills wanted Losman to step forward and show something and he did. He's far from a polished product but experience without the weekly threat of being yanked will only make him better. Nall is not a bad backup QB at all and will be able to run the Fairchild Offense, if Losman gets hurt.

Qb isn't a worry for me and the Brady Quinn talk is just plain silly. ( Oh look, something shiny ! I want it ! ).

This team needs to draft 2-3 OL and a pass rushing DE next year. You win in the trenches and that's why we'll lose some games this year. Meanwhile, the mobility of JP will keep us in many games.

Go JP !
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train
    Qb isn't a worry for me and the Brady Quinn talk is just plain silly. ( Oh look, something shiny ! I want it ! ).

Exactly the same thing that happens after (Insert any name here) is cut/released/on the trade block. 20 threads are created "Let's Sign Him!"

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i just think they played it smart

they know what they have in holcomb - a steady but unspectacular veteran who completes a high percentage of short throws but struggles with the long ball. not bad but not great

and of course they wanted losman to succeed, its the best thing for the franchise. still i think holcomb got a fair shot up until the first preseason game to show he deserved to remain the starter and he didnt do that. after that they wanted to a) get losman as many reps as possible and b) to see if nall should be elevated to number two

sure it probably doesnt help holcombs confidence but hes been around, he should be able to take it. hes got to know what he id - a borderline nfl starter more suiteed to being an insurance policy than a front line player. he will still have a home here and if not certainly someplace else in the nfl
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Both Holcomb and Losman were neck in neck before preseason started. Otherwise explain to me how Holcomb got the start over JP in game 1.
    Nope, JP was ahead. Who started in 1st preseason didn't matter. It was still a competition until then.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    Nope, JP was ahead. Who started in 1st preseason didn't matter. It was still a competition until then.
    How did you determine that? Woman's intuition?

Seriously, I can see towards the first game Losman was picking things up a bit, but it was still up in the air as to who would be starter. There isn't one person on this board that could have known that until it was put into a game scenerio.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pat Kirwan brought up an interesting point in one of his blurbs this week. He noted that Holcomb has only had 9 throws all summer during preseason.
    What camp was he watching?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by alohabillsfan
    THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS! YES, the coaching staff wants JP to suceed, so yes they planned this all along, if you have a young QB with shaken confidence from the last yo-yo staff, do you start him pre-season game 1 on the road against a great Carolina D no, you start him game 2 at home this only makes sense. They are brining him along slowly and developing a NFL QB what a concept. I like the direction we are going and will in the next year or 2 return to the top!

P.S. Marv trade Nate for a draft pick now!
    I agree with your last comment, trade Nate.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by madness
    What camp was he watching?
    I never actually checked his accuracy, but he was refering to the games.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How did you determine that? Woman's intuition?

Seriously, I can see towards the first game Losman was picking things up a bit, but it was still up in the air as to who would be starter. There isn't one person on this board that could have known that until it was put into a game scenerio.
    anyone who's been to camp on a regular basis can see it as clear as daylight. They were neck and neck on dink and dunks but JP ws definitely pulling away in long throws. Even wys who dislikes JP even said so.

Yep, game yime scenario was where DJ was gonna make his decision, and JP again proved he could stretch the field.

Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment raphael120's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

holcomb started the first preseason game based on seniority. this was during the whole thing about them sharing reps. he stunk it up, and i think the whole competition was supposed to find out if nall was better and that is all. dj isnt THAT stupid that he would think holcomb would actually be a good QB for a starting job after being a backup his whole career. a guy doesnt hit 34 yrs old and suddenly be good enough to be a starter

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's just not a true statement. Both Holcomb and Losman were neck in neck before preseason started. Otherwise explain to me how Holcomb got the start over JP in game 1.
    I'm sorry, but as a guy who went to camp almost every day, I have to disagree. JP Losman clearly was the best QB in camp. Kelly Holcomb may have started out good for the first day or so, but Losman did better in the times he got to work with the starters.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey82
    I'm sorry, but as a guy who went to camp almost every day, I have to disagree. JP Losman clearly was the best QB in camp. Kelly Holcomb may have started out good for the first day or so, but Losman did better in the times he got to work with the starters.
    ..and Jauron even said they picked the QB for the first preseason game based on seniority.