Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can we STILL think we need more OL?

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How can we STILL think we need more OL?

Check the stats guys.

The two best LT's are probably Orlando Pace and Walter Jones. Yet, BOTH Bulger and Hasselbeck have been sacked more times than JP!!

Hell, STL has Pace on one end and Alex Barron on the other.

I think every team in the league probably feels like they could do better on the OL and maybe this stat shows that.

Add in that we have the #1 rusher in the league for 2 straight weeks. How can we be clamoring for an upgrade at OL?

Based on what? Penalties? yes, but what team hasnt had them that has a great o-line?

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,130 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: How can we STILL think we need more OL?

Because the Bills only have ONE backup guard on their Depth Chart.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How about OL that pancake the opposition in the running game ? That's the true measure.

Sacks aren't the proper measure. You could stick 5 HOF OL in front of Bledsoe and he'd still get sacked 50 times.

We still need a couple bigger, stronger OL to replace Chris V. and Gandy.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral
    Because the Bills only have ONE backup guard on their Depth Chart.
    THAT I will buy!

But that doesnt have to come from the 1st round

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train
    How about OL that pancake the opposition in the running game ? That's the true measure.

Sacks aren't the proper measure. You could stick 5 HOF OL in front of Bledsoe and he'd still get sacked 50 times.

We still need a couple bigger, stronger OL to replace Chris V. and Gandy.
    But if we arent looking at sacks and we have the #1 rusher in the league, whats the problem again?

Im not saying its a perfect line. Im only asking if anyoen can point to another teams line that is perfect. Denver has the lightest OL in the league. The average weight is well under 300 pounds.

Villarial is getting long in the tooth, so we may need a replacement. But I think we are about to see that we already have one in Duke Preston.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jp-era
    But if we arent looking at sacks and we have the #1 rusher in the league, whats the problem again?
    Yards per carry. Third down conversions. Penalties. Quarterback pressures.

Your argument is flawed 'cause you're leaving out data. Our o-line definitely needs some tweaking.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This OL still doesn't have a QUALITY LT or RG. Then there is depth which is lacking as well.

I don't care how well we do or don't do this year, if Marv doesn't go out and land a top notch LT and RG, we aren't getting much better than we are now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 770 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Losman wasn't so mobile this OL would've given up at least 16 sacks by now.

And while McGahee is leading the league in rushing his YPC is very low. He's probably up there towards the front in attempts also. Plus there are many good RB's that have already had their bye week and McGahee has a game on them.

Also, McGahee only has 1 TD. The OL has gotten manhandled inside the 10 yard line and couldn't get him any room to score. It took a penalty on the Vikings to even get the TD on Sunday.

We also haven't been able to convert on short yardage in obvious running situation because our OL is getting knocked on their ass by the DL. This OL is improved over last year but far from not needing anymore help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 770 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Just as I thought. McGahee leads the league in attempts and he's 26th in YPC. His YPC is only 3.9. This OL still needs a lot of work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Check the stats guys.

The two best LT's are probably Orlando Pace and Walter Jones. Yet, BOTH Bulger and Hasselbeck have been sacked more times than JP!!

I think every team in the league probably feels like they could do better on the OL and maybe this stat shows that.

Add in that we have the #1 rusher in the league for 2 straight weeks. How can we be clamoring for an upgrade at OL?

Based on what? Penalties? yes, but what team hasnt had them that has a great o-line?
    How can you think we don't need more help on the Oline?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFever21

Also, McGahee only has 1 TD. The OL has gotten manhandled inside the 10 yard line and couldn't get him any room to score. It took a penalty on the Vikings to even get the TD on Sunday.

We also haven't been able to convert on short yardage in obvious running situation because our OL is getting knocked on their ass by the DL. This OL is improved over last year but far from not needing anymore help.
    Agreed. You can tell a good run blocking offensive line when you see a push on short yardage situations. While the line this year is definately playing better than last, we still struggle to run on third and short and near the goal line. Even McGahee's touchdown last week was more his effort than the line's success in clearing a path. I'm happy with the improvement, and don't fault Levy and Co. for making the offseason decisions that they did in light of the numerous holes we had to fill, but I'm really hoping this next free agent period and draft land us a solid RG, perhaps an upgrade at LT, and some depth.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Legendary Zoner Earthquake Enyart's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR
    How can you think we don't need more help on the Oline?
    Exactly.

After the Bear game, everyone will think we need 4 new starters.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,521 Times in 15,599 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think you can ever have enough quality O linemen, or defensive backs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFever21
    Just as I thought. McGahee leads the league in attempts and he's 26th in YPC. His YPC is only 3.9. This OL still needs a lot of work.
    Agreed.

I really think right guard is a huge problem right now because the team has had very little success running up the middle. A stud right guard would go a long way to opening up some daylight for Willis. Fortunately, I think this something that is correctable in free agency or the draft (although they may have to draft a left tackle since they are not readily available in free agency).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This is the same guy clamoring to trade for Roy Williams even though we are 4deep with Solid receivers.....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Earthquake Enyart
    Exactly.

After the Bear game, everyone will think we need 4 new starters.
    Unfortunatly you may be right?

DC now, grew up in Wellsville, NY... lived in Baltimore for a while
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Was I the only one who saw Duke Preston get manhandled by Williams on his first play in replacing Villarial?

I know it's tough to come in off the bench cold... but I didn't like what I saw there. He's gonna have a long day against Tommie Harris (who from what I saw on Monday night is a monster)
    Kent Hull for Hall of Fame

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Preston had some bad plays, but he wasn't a total disaster. Then again, that's really no difference than Villarial - who tends to have a few bad plays a game. Preston is not far from Villarials' level of play. That being said, I wish we had someone better than both. I can only hope that Merz develops into the Guard that we need.

In either case, we will likely be drafting or via FA, getting another Guard next year as Villarial's career comes to an end in Buffalo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The life of a GM is to always be trying to improve every aspect of his football team. While the offensive line is better than what it was a year ago, it's still not worthy of being labeled a strength. It's a little too soon to tell where the weakest points are in the line, probably no one among the starters, except perhaps Peters, is much better than the average lineman at that position. Villarial looks to be on his last legs, and I'll be a little surprised if he's back next season.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Check the stats guys.

Isn't Pace injured and not playing?