Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now that the realists were right again...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Now that the realists were right again...

Now that we are absolutely sure that we are finishing in the 7-9 to 9-7 range as some of us predicted, I think it's safe to say that we have some major holes that need to get figured out in the off-season:

1) Our D sucks. No matter how you slice it the last 2 weeks proved that we have the worst run D in the league with our pass D is not far behind. We need another DT and some DEs to challenge the 2 useless white guys we have. I actually believe that DE is more improtant than LB and will be the first to say Briggs is a waste of money to bring here.

2) Evans proved to me that he's a faster version of Reed and not as reliable. Time to get a real #1 receiver to challenge Evans for the spot. Evans or the new guy will be our #2 and hopefully send Price into retirement.

3) Time to bring in a #3 RB because Wright and Thomas belong on the same bus out of here. Wright is looking like a bad pick in the 4th but that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

4) I do not want a TE. I would rather see us spend the money on back up O-lineman that can rotate. For those who think we are replacing Fowler I can tell you right now it won't happen.

Prediction for next year:

9-7 or 10-6 which means that the playoffs will most likely be missed again.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,408 Times in 13,793 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Now that the realists were right again...

You're wrong. We have 3 useless white guys at DE.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    You're wrong. We have 3 useless white guys at DE.

1 of them could be a nice project at LB in a 3-4 scheme

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Seriously, though- I agree that the DL simply isn't good enough, but with the money we've spent on Schobel, Kelsay, Tripplett and to a lesser extent, Denney, I don't see any moves being made here, We could use an upgrade at LB, but if Poz comes back and either he or DiGiorgio can put Ellison on the bench, we'll be ok. Whitner is the most overrated part of the D- and before anyone blames it on the pass rush- the pass rush didn't run into the punter or take a bad angle and get beat to the endzone on the running play.

I think Evans would be fine if he had someone to take pressure off, but we need a true #2 receiver and we do need to get rid of Price (he has a backloaded contract so he's probably already on the short list of "cap casualties).

I agree with your assessment of Wright and Thomas, but it's a #3 RB- who cares? We should pay more attention to other positions.

A good receiving TE like Clarke would make life easier for Evans and whoever we get to play #2 WR.

As far as predictions for next year, I'll wait to see who we lose/get in the off-season before commenting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE
    Now that we are absolutely sure that we are finishing in the 7-9 to 9-7 range as some of us predicted, I think it's safe to say that we have some major holes that need to get figured out in the off-season:

1) Our D sucks. No matter how you slice it the last 2 weeks proved that we have the worst run D in the league with our pass D is not far behind. We need another DT and some DEs to challenge the 2 useless white guys we have. I actually believe that DE is more improtant than LB and will be the first to say Briggs is a waste of money to bring here.

2) Evans proved to me that he's a faster version of Reed and not as reliable. Time to get a real #1 receiver to challenge Evans for the spot. Evans or the new guy will be our #2 and hopefully send Price into retirement.

3) Time to bring in a #3 RB because Wright and Thomas belong on the same bus out of here. Wright is looking like a bad pick in the 4th but that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

4) I do not want a TE. I would rather see us spend the money on back up O-lineman that can rotate. For those who think we are replacing Fowler I can tell you right now it won't happen.

Prediction for next year:

9-7 or 10-6 which means that the playoffs will most likely be missed again.
    I thought the realists were calling for 4-12 to 6-10.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I disagree about the TE. There's an interesting article about the revolution of the position, and it points out how a good TE can make a difference.

"The teams that have the most productive passing games and are most wide-open are the most successful," said Redskins offensive guru Al Saunders, who has coached the original Kellen Winslow, Gonzalez and now Cooley.

"When you have somebody that can be a part of the running game as well as the passing game and be efficient, now you add more dimension to your offense. And I've always maintained that an offense that's unpredictable is an offense that has an opportunity for great success."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

#1 Kelsay Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR
    Heehee...we win! AGAIN!
    I predicted 8-8 as a low-range record. So, I think some explaining is in order, Hurricane.

As for what Op said, it's sadly right. I feel like a broken record, but why don't we start McCargo? Is our coaching staff the only bunch of morons in the world who doesn't think that they're not losing anything by starting him over Tripp? I mean, looking at it from a safe, avoid-losing point of view.
    Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Philagape
    I disagree about the TE. There's an interesting article about the revolution of the position, and it points out how a good TE can make a difference.

"The teams that have the most productive passing games and are most wide-open are the most successful," said Redskins offensive guru Al Saunders, who has coached the original Kellen Winslow, Gonzalez and now Cooley.

"When you have somebody that can be a part of the running game as well as the passing game and be efficient, now you add more dimension to your offense. And I've always maintained that an offense that's unpredictable is an offense that has an opportunity for great success."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    There have been numerous articles written on the TE position. The only way it works is if you have a special talent. It's about as specialized as QB. Winslow was a slam dunk a few years ago. I don't see anybody in the draft or FA that will be available for Buffalo to make an impact so I think we should concentrate on other positions.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pull my prediction threads. I has us at 7-9 worst case and 9-7 best case.

What I didn't do was put us in the Superbowl or playoffs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We need the following:

A real DE like Allen, stop wasting money on bums like Schobel/Kelsey. Denny isn't that bad
    A real TE like Tony Gonzalez. Without a real TE our Passing attack will continue to struggle. Gaines & Royal don't cut it.
    A real DT. I love McCargo and I like Williams. Tripplet's time has come and gone. Bring in a monster like Haynesworth
    An upgrade at OLB. Poz will be rusty at first, so he'll need to good Vets on the outside. Crowell is 1, just need another.
    A real SS. Bob Sanders would be HUGE on this team. Love Whitner, but don't love the way he plays. Move him to CB.
    Obviously a #2, but more importantly a TALL #2.

All of this is a pipe dream. RW/Marv at most will bring in 2-3 free agents we've all never heard of. And the beat goes on...at OBD

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JPFBillsFan
    We need the following:

A real DE like Allen, stop wasting money on bums like Schobel/Kelsey. Denny isn't that bad
    A real TE like Tony Gonzalez. Without a real TE our Passing attack will continue to struggle. Gaines & Royal don't cut it.
    A real DT. I love McCargo and I like Williams. Tripplet's time has come and gone. Bring in a monster like Haynesworth
    An upgrade at OLB. Poz will be rusty at first, so he'll need to good Vets on the outside. Crowell is 1, just need another.
    A real SS. Bob Sanders would be HUGE on this team. Love Whitner, but don't love the way he plays. Move him to CB.
    Obviously a #2, but more importantly a TALL #2.

All of this is a pipe dream. RW/Marv at most will bring in 2-3 free agents we've all never heard of. And the beat goes on...at OBD

Like the post. A couple of thougts:

1) Wanting a great TE is like wanting a great QB. Getting one is alot harder than it sounds.

2) I'm certainly scared that the Bills could be less tham impactful in FA justifying that injuries kept starters off of the field and we don't need as much. Scary but only time will tell.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What I didn't do was put us in the Superbowl or playoffs.
    First off NO ONE predicted Superbowl so why even mention the fact that you didn't mark us down for something 100% of us didn't mark us down for... WOW WHAT A PREDICTION!!!

Secondly most "homers" predicted in the 7-9 9-7 range. Again the Realists were saying after the 0-3 start that the Bills may not win 1 game this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

different sides are calling themselves the realist.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First off NO ONE predicted Superbowl so why even mention the fact that you didn't mark us down for something 100% of us didn't mark us down for... WOW WHAT A PREDICTION!!!

Secondly most "homers" predicted in the 7-9 9-7 range. Again the Realists were saying after the 0-3 start that the Bills may not win 1 game this year.
    He likes to gloat. Skooby didn't predict sb so I guess he must be a realist.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    different sides are calling themselves the realist.
    I can't keep it straight anymore!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I can't keep it straight anymore!!!
    same here. I predicted 7-9 . I must be a realist then when I was called a homer back then.

Looks like we're all realists because no one predicted sb.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

HH and Opvi37 i agree with u guyz on alot of your comments, but i have to add some off my own

1. DT needs to be hugly upgraded, Opvi37 when u have single blocking on the DT all the time or the DT is gettin blown up all day like Tripllett and Williams usually do on every pass play that leave max protect for the DE wich means that the tackles no they have help inside from a blocking back or interior lineman and can take the DE to the outside all day, my point being, WE need a huge upgrade up the middle, Tripplett for his 3 plays he made all year has and will continue to be a bust FA pick up there, we need size and pocket pushing ability here, someone who can hole up against the run, ala Haynesworth
    he is not the best locker room guy but he would be a hell of an upgrade next to Mccargo and keep triplett and Williams as depth, this is were we need to spend out money in FA, not many DT will be coming out with huge potential excpet ones that will be long gone when we draft, Then u build the D like u r suppossed to from the inside out just like baseball

2. WR we need either a number 2 to compliment Lee or a number 1 and allow Lee to go back to 2, wither way we need a redzone threat and an over the middle threat that gets those safties away from the deep routes, this is were our 1st round pick should be spent hands down, i want Hardy form INdiana FA who i would like would be Ernest Wilford, Jerry Porter, Bryant Johnson, Bernard Berrian, DJ Hackett all FAs

3. TE is a major need we need a recieiving TE in the worst way someone who can get consistenly open underneath and get those Lbers off the inside slant patterns they now take away from our WRs cause Reed and Parrish cant get open over there cause they are two small, and Royal cant run routes and Gaines is inconcistent with catching, if we go into next year with Royal at 2 and Gaines at 3 and spend our 2nd or one of our 3rds on say Bennet from ole miss or someone of his caliber and size we could be real soild her next year LJ Smith would be bad to look at in FA, Clarke aint goin anywhere

4. LBer- u wanna stop the run with 2 lbers that weigh 220lbs, not gonna happen next year Ellison and Dig will be solid depth and ST players, and should kick bums like Stamer and Aiken off the team so we dont have anymore useless depth and ST speciallists that contirubute to nothing but 4-5plays a game U could draft here for this in the 2nd or one of the thirds as well, but if u were gonna throw money out in FA here too i would luv Carlos Dansby from ARZ, you wanna stop the run bring in a Lber who runs like POZ and is 6ft 3 and weighs 250lbs, and is only 25 and will be awesome in this scheme super athletic, Poz Crowell and Him would be one of the most upcoming groups in the league

5. C- Fowler is the reason we cant run between the tackles, he is bull rushed easily as well as beaten with alraming consistency on blitzs and good pass rushing DTs, he doesnt pick up on stunts either, and cant hold his block at the point of attack very long, we dont trap because of him and we dont pull much beacuse of him, there is not much misdirection cause he cant hold his back side blocking long enough for the play to develop which leads us to 90% of the time runnin the ball up the middle and between the tackles, under utilizing our playmaking RBs

6. H-Back, or FB we need a real one with patch catching ability and there are a few coming out in the draft, as well as developing Schouman who looked real strong for a 7th round pick at the postion

7. DE- an actual pass rushing DE to creat trouble on the 3rd and whatever we r so famous for giving up 8 times a game, get someone in FA or in draft but someone to bring in on 3rd downs , and cut Denney's useless ass and give Hargrove more playing time

8. CB- depth here maybe a late pcik

9. LS- unless they luv Neil, drafting a guy in the late rds or picking up a vet wouldnt be a bad idea

10. Vet QB backup or late rd draft pick of a QB would be nice, do it with the pick we get for Losman assuming it is a 4th or lower

11. A real offensive cordiantor someone who can call plays with confidence, someone who know the players on his team and who should be gettin the ball, someone who can call plays that dont require running it up the middle, calls playactions, screens to the TE, WR , RB ,Hback, one who runs plays to the outside, we bost a LT who is most atletic at his postion u ever see him pull? i didnt think so

other than that we have 30 million under the cap and 10 picks not including trade losman or compensary picks lets actually make a run some of the peices are here time to do it for a change 8yrs now out of the playoffs!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

same here. I predicted 7-9 . I must be a realist then when I was called a homer back then.

Looks like we're all realists because no one predicted sb.

Skooby did.

and several people predicted playoffs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Most of the "realists" were predicting 4-7 wins but this is not a "reality" they are willing to admit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He likes to gloat. Skooby didn't predict sb so I guess he must be a realist.
    I like to make good posts and decisions based on facts and reality.

Do you know why there is a homer and realist debate every year?

Because some of you make these bold predictions that aren't substantiated than get pissed when others use logic to explain why it doesn't make any sense.

Than the end of the season comes, and people like me are right, and now I'm a "gloater" where 5 months earlier I was a "negative nancy".

All I know is that I seem to be right alot so either I'm psychic or I think things through instead of "bleeding red and blue".