Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seven Things That Concern Me

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Seven Things That Concern Me

Here are five points about the Bills that concern me. I'm not saying any of these points (except for #2- I think it's a given) aren't things that can't be overcome. I'm simply saying that they are the things I'm concerned about moving forward. I ranked them in what I feel is the order of importance.

7- Jason Peters- We need him in training camp, period. Regardless on your stance if you think he has the right to get a new contract, the bottom line is he's the most important player on this offense and we NEED him. Nobody knows how serious or how far this holdout will go at this point. We can't afford to be without him and having Chambers even thought about as a starter. This is just my opinion, but there isnt' a single offensive tackle in the NFL I'd trade Peters for, not one. The crazy thing is he's still learning and will get better. This is a guy who can easily make the next five Pro Bowls.

6- Don't Believe The Hype- I don't care what they tell you, I know for a fact the vast majority of players read the papers. Buffalo is being heralded everywhere as a "surprise" team and even a playoff team. This team needs to forget all that noise, and remained focus and take the underdog approach. Nothing ruins a season for a young team more than believing your own press clippings. The bottom line is this team hasn't done **** yet, and it's Jaurons' job to make sure they remember that.

5- Who's #2?- This team in my opinion is counting too heavily on a rookie. James Hardy will be counted on to produce a lot more than a number two rookie WR should be. There' a lot of pressure on him. If he doesn't produce, I don't see this offense making much strides from last year. Reed and Parrish are what they are; decent players that have a big play every now and then but are not consistent. Our tight end position, in my opinion at least, is still a joke. I am certainly not saying Hardy can't do the job. I still love the drafting of him (I would've loved Sweed too). I"m just saying there's a lot of rookie pressure there and that concerns me.

4- The "Turk"- Anybody has to be better than Fairchild. But until we see it on the field (and I"m not saying we won't)- the Turk is nothing more than a lot of talk with a badge. I personally would've preferred a more established coordinator, especially on an offensive team so young.

3- Health: Last year was scary with all the injuries. This is a concern for every team in the league but none more than Buffalo. Poz and Simpson are needed on the field this year.

2- JP Losman remained in Buffalo: I'm very well aware every team needs two "good" quarterbacks on their roster. I still think we should've found someone else via Free Agency or the draft. This guy isn't now, but I'll bet anyone at some point he WILL become a distraction. At some point this season, a young Edward might struggle. People and worse, a few teammates may even call for Losman. I think that's the single most horrible thing for team chemistry. He has absolutely no future here, he's gone at season's end no matter what happens (he would never stay in Buffalo the way he's been treated) so why not trade him (too late now though) for anything you can get, and get a guy like Lemon or even Culpepper (Who is still out there) as a backup for Edwards. There is one more thing about Losman, I don't think he's any ****ing good, unless we're playing the Bengals or Texans.

1- Offensive Line Depth: I'm terrified of this. When Duke Preston, Chambers or Jason Whittle are your top options off the bench, you're one play away from being in trouble. Overall, I've written that I love the depth on this team, and I still do. But not here. I'm still befuddled on why we A) Didnt sign at least one solid vet backup OL in free agency and B) Why we drafted Reggie Corner in the 4th round instead of the best OL prospect on the board. We could use an upgrade as a backup on every single OL position.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Seven Things That Concern Me

I think #7 is the biggest concern for this team....#1 ties in obviously though.

Without Peters offensively we're in a lot of trouble. He protects the QBs blindside and is one of the premier tackles in football. If his holdout is lengthy than we get into depth being even more eph'd than it already is.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is this a Hanna Montana song?

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Are you fronting like you don't already know every lyric to every one of her songs, Chern?

Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment raphael120's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

One thing you have to remember is Santonio Holmes came into the league as a replacement for Burress. He was only used as a #2 WR for the final 4 games of the season in '06, yet he still produced with 49 receptions for 842 yards.

Even if Hardy isn't #2 right off the bat, there is no excuse for him not to produce also. He's going to get his opportunities, it's just up to the coordinator to give him as many opportunities as possible to make plays. One thing Fairchild didn't do is give the ball to his playmakers and utilize his talent to the fullest. He didn't use Lynch in the passing game, he didn't use a 2 back set to use both Jackson and Lynch, Parrish wasn't used very much, etc etc...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

As far as production, the No. 2 receiver should be Lynch.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Thanks
    Thanked 24,472 Times in 14,180 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How our safeties aren't mentioned, or our DL is beyond me. We are counting on Whitner to finally emerging as a true 1st Rounder, Ko Simpson not only returning from a huge ankle but also showing growth after a year off from the game.

We also need Stroud to step up and prove his injury is behind him, McCargo or Spencer Johnson to emerge as a true starter opposite him, and we have to hope that Schoebel, Kelsay, Denney, and Ellis can provide a pass rush that we didn't have last year.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    Here are five points about the Bills that concern me. I'm not saying any of these points (except for #2- I think it's a given) aren't things that can't be overcome. I'm simply saying that they are the things I'm concerned about moving forward. I ranked them in what I feel is the order of importance.

7- Jason Peters- We need him in training camp, period. Regardless on your stance if you think he has the right to get a new contract, the bottom line is he's the most important player on this offense and we NEED him. Nobody knows how serious or how far this holdout will go at this point. We can't afford to be without him and having Chambers even thought about as a starter. This is just my opinion, but there isnt' a single offensive tackle in the NFL I'd trade Peters for, not one. The crazy thing is he's still learning and will get better. This is a guy who can easily make the next five Pro Bowls. That's what fines are for.

6- Don't Believe The Hype- I don't care what they tell you, I know for a fact the vast majority of players read the papers. Buffalo is being heralded everywhere as a "surprise" team and even a playoff team. This team needs to forget all that noise, and remained focus and take the underdog approach. Nothing ruins a season for a young team more than believing your own press clippings. The bottom line is this team hasn't done **** yet, and it's Jaurons' job to make sure they remember that. I actually think believing is a good thing.

2- JP Losman remained in Buffalo: I'm very well aware every team needs two "good" quarterbacks on their roster. I still think we should've found someone else via Free Agency or the draft. This guy isn't now, but I'll bet anyone at some point he WILL become a distraction. At some point this season, a young Edward might struggle. People and worse, a few teammates may even call for Losman. I think that's the single most horrible thing for team chemistry. He has absolutely no future here, he's gone at season's end no matter what happens (he would never stay in Buffalo the way he's been treated) so why not trade him (too late now though) for anything you can get, and get a guy like Lemon or even Culpepper (Who is still out there) as a backup for Edwards. There is one more thing about Losman, I don't think he's any ****ing good, unless we're playing the Bengals or Texans. Well, I think Losman is good, better then Edwards. Culpepper would be an even bigger distraction. But, it is all on Edwards. If he plays well, no distraction, if he doesn't the whispers will rightfully begin.
    I agreed with everything else. Good post.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

7- Jason Peters- We need him in training camp, period. This is a guy who can easily make the next five Pro Bowls.<
    6- Don't Believe The Hype-
    Eh. I could care less about stuff like this that has nothing to do w/ much..

5- Who's #2?- This team in my opinion is counting too heavily on a rookie. James Hardy will be counted on to produce a lot more than a number two rookie WR should be. There' a lot of pressure on him. If he doesn't produce, I don't see this offense making much strides from last year. Reed and Parrish are what they are; decent players that have a big play every now and then but are not consistent. Our tight end position, in my opinion at least, is still a joke. I am certainly not saying Hardy can't do the job. I still love the drafting of him (I would've loved Sweed too). I"m just saying there's a lot of rookie pressure there and that concerns me.

Ok, expecting Hardy to come in and get a 1000 yards or a Anquan Boldin type ROOKIE OF THE YEAR season is rediculous & selfish.... What kind of #2 WR do guys want? Example needed. A TJ Housh & ReggieWayne #2's we're really #1's behind a stud #1 etc..
    ---I just don't see how Hardy is gonna have a super season.. Evans numbers last seaosn under Trent Edwards sure didn't look good. Oh Yeah i did watch ever single play & did notice that Evans was a non factor almost all the time.. ((I made the mistake of mixing business w/ pleasure & drafted Lee Evans in my family league.. BAH! So i saw w/ focused eyes his struggles... To expect Hardy to play at an elite level is just denial & hope & borderline delusional
    Reed is not on the same level as Parrish. Reed is boring #2 wr, but an amazing #3/slot. I dunno what Parrish is. lol to be honest. He shows flashes & i've wondered what he would do had he ever gotten the attempts.. But i like the fact that we resigned Reed. He's reliable.
    2- JP Losman remained in Buffalo:
    I agree it will cause some gripes when Trent Edwards struggles. & he will struggle. Am i not supposed to say that? I could pretend that he was awesome last year... He was cool & calm & for a 3rd round pick that's impressive, but his thrwos weren't very.. In fact his long ball had me tthinking Noodle arm... But the pocket Poise is something that gives us wood since we've had pocket ****** after ******.. We need JP. unless we get a better #2 QB... JP came in and nailed Evans for the play of the year Look we are finished w/ JP and everyone knows it.. There's no more controversy anywhere. SO after the seaosn he's gone.. But will it hurt to have him as a bacup? He knows the playbook & the whole offense..I think it was wise to keep him if noboody better was available at the right price
    GO BILLS!!! NE
    Magical Trevor

Sabres Zone
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Someone still thinks JP is good? lmfao.
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Seven Things That Concern Me

so which is it?? seven or five...and before I take the time to read them are these different that the seven you gave a couple of weeks ago? or the prediction laundry list before that? you need to go outside and get some air.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

3- Health: Last year was scary with all the injuries. This is a concern for every team in the league but none more than Buffalo. Poz and Simpson are needed on the field this year.
    I woud like to see a list of players and their contribution to the NFL. Since the Bills lost "so much" due to injury, I would like to know where you think the Bill players lost rank against the rest of the league.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,693 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feelthepain
    I woud like to see a list of players and their contribution to the NFL. Since the Bills lost "so much" due to injury, I would like to know where you think the Bill players lost rank against the rest of the league.

You keep missing the point (what a shock, eh?)

The Bills injuries made them use players that were not as good. Losing Denney and Al Wallace meant more PT for Hargrove and Ryan Neill and Jason Jefferson. Simpson's injury meant Wilson, one year removed from being a PS WR, had to start and Bryan Scott had to play. Poz's injury pushed DiG into the line-up. Whittle's injury made Preston to top back-up at guard and center.

It also damaged the special teams, as the players that were on ST had to play as starters and guys like Blake Costanzo and Dustin Fox had to be ont he ST units.

In short, when any team has that many injuries they are moving down the depth chart and onto the street to find replacements who are usually of lesser value.

Understand yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Registered User JerseyBoofaloBills's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills injuries made them use players that were not as good. Losing Denney and Al Wallace meant more PT for Hargrove and Ryan Neill and Jason Jefferson. Simpson's injury meant Wilson, one year removed from being a PS WR, had to start and Bryan Scott had to play. Poz's injury pushed DiG into the line-up. Whittle's injury made Preston to top back-up at guard and center.

It also damaged the special teams, as the players that were on ST had to play as starters and guys like Blake Costanzo and Dustin Fox had to be ont he ST units.

In short, when any team has that many injuries they are moving down the depth chart and onto the street to find replacements who are usually of lesser value.

Understand yet?
    highly doubt he understands it..

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Understand yet?
    I'm the one who doesn't understand...sure, The Bills had the same record the year before, the same offenseive and defensive ranking as the year before, wirthout all the injuries. What excuse did the Bill fans use for the 2006 season?
    Funny how you didn't have the injury excuse then, at least not the injury excuse.

My question was...since you have a problem understanding simple english (what a shock, eh?) Who did the Bills lose and what was their contribution to the NFL before their injuries in 07? In other words, everyone knows Bill fans think all their players are better then everyone elses, but in the real world what players did the Bills lose, that anyone else in the league honestly respects for their efforts and production as NFL players? Ya know, All Pro's, Pro Bowlers, Playoff talent? Seriously, what did the Bills lose to injury? I'll bet not one Bill player lost in 07 was a probowl talent...ever!!!! So whoever replaced an injured player for the Bills in 07 was basically the same level of talent themselves.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm the one who doesn't understand...sure, The Bills had the same record the year before, the same offenseive and defensive ranking as the year before, wirthout all the injuries. What excuse did the Bill fans use for the 2006 season?
    Funny how you didn't have the injury excuse then, at least not the injury excuse.

My question was...since you have a problem understanding simple english (what a shock, eh?) Who did the Bills lose and what was their contribution to the NFL before their injuries in 07? In other words, everyone knows Bill fans think all their players are better then everyone elses, but in the real world what players did the Bills lose, that anyone else in the league honestly respects for their efforts and production as NFL players? Ya know, All Pro's, Pro Bowlers, Playoff talent? Seriously, what did the Bills lose to injury? I'll bet not one Bill player lost in 07 was a probowl talent...ever!!!! So whoever replaced an injured player for the Bills in 07 was basically the same level of talent themselves.
    And yet we still beat your team 4 out of the last 4 meetings.

P.S. We continually bring this up because we know how it enrages you.
    BERNIAC!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

/end Dolfins talk.

F everything if we can't get to the quarterback and protect Touchdown Trent Edwards.

I just keep thinking about the Giants. I watched them run us down after getting down early. I watched them steam through the playoffs. Let's look at the blueprint. Get Peters happy and make sure Schobel and Co. put their ass in Brady's face.

Hype? There are more "chips on shoulders" than cocky rookies, I'm sure. This isn't Dallas. We don't have our own network (NFLN & Deion) covering training camp, meetings, bathroom breaks, and groundskeeping.

And if JP tried to "there ain't no bars here" his way out of Buffalo, he would be met with an even cooler reception than he will next year as a free agent. His best bet is still to hope to come in Jets-game style and throw a lame duck that Lee Evans wrestles away for a touchdown. He hasn't put it all together yet aside from some brief sparks along the way.

We need some pieces of the puzzle to align (Hardy's immediate emergence, new offensive scheme success, Lynch to appear in games, better d-line) to make a splash this year. How about winning most of the first 4 games instead of losing them? We have been in the habit of trying to fight our way back to .500, (insert Dolphins jab here), and this trend needs to be reversed.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well you're wrong! The Bills lost Jason Peters before the seaon ended, it resulted in 2 loses which may have turned out differently with him in there. Do you know the Bills were up 14-0 on the Super Bowl champions before the Giants came back to win after Peters left? Do you really think that Poz was replaced with an equal talent? Just because he didn't play long enough as a rookie to establish Pro Bowl credentials, doesn't mean he was replaced by an equal player. The notion that all non pro bowl players are the same is absurd, and that's puting it kindly. Starter Ko Simpson was 1st replaced by a guy the Bills cut at the end of the season, then by a converted receiver who made a great play on, hmmm what team before his injury in that game? Now throw in all the other players who got hurt & then see that they were replaced by guys sitting home before the Bills called and you can't honestly use the he wasn't a Pro Bowler so it's no great loss premise.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Two things bother me the most.

1: The head coach

2: The center

For obvious reasons I won't bore you with why.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,128 Times in 3,598 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What was the excuse for 2006? How about a new coaching staff and philosophies on offense and defense? Kind of like what the Fins will be facing, except with no hope of even approaching a 7-9 record.

You really are simple (as if I need to actually write that). If you think that every player who isn't an "All Pro, Pro Bowler, [or] Playoff talent" is the same, you're even more clueless than I thought.

But you've basically given reasons as to why the Dolphins shouldn't be much better this year than they were last year. They lost most than they gained, will have a new coaching staff and rookie head coach with virtually NO head coaching experience, and will be switching to a 3-4 without having the personnel for it (and it will be even worse if Taylor is traded or sits-out).