Thread: Shipley-Center from Penn State

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Shipley-Center from Penn State

I've seen that this senior co-captain won the nation's best center award but I didn't follow him at all during the season. Anyone elaborate on his play?
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Shipley-Center from Penn State

Penn State Notebook: Shipley ready to tackle the NFL

Though I saw most PSU games this season, I cant say that I know that much about him as I didnt pay much attention to the center position.

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by billsburgh
    Penn State Notebook: Shipley ready to tackle the NFL

Though I saw most PSU games this season, I cant say that I know that much about him as I didnt pay much attention to the center position.
    That might be good. If he didn't stand out, he was probably doing his job. Or at least I would assume so.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He may be the #2 All-Around OC prospect in the draft. He's good as the run game and at the pass game but doesnt excel at either. Mack is by far a great run blocker but only a good pass blocker. Jonathan Luigis is probably the top guy at pass blocking but is still a good bit behind Mack in run blocking, though he is the clear #2 run blocker.

All Around OC Rankings would probably go;
    1. Luigis
    2. Mack
    3. Shipley

But because Mack is so dominant in the run blocking aspect of the game, when you just rank them its a flip of Mack and Luigis.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy
    He may be the #2 All-Around OC prospect in the draft. He's good as the run game and at the pass game but doesnt excel at either. Mack is by far a great run blocker but only a good pass blocker. Jonathan Luigis is probably the top guy at pass blocking but is still a good bit behind Mack in run blocking, though he is the clear #2 run blocker.

All Around OC Rankings would probably go;
    1. Luigis
    2. Mack
    3. Shipley

But because Mack is so dominant in the run blocking aspect of the game, when you just rank them its a flip of Mack and Luigis.
    Living in Big Ten country and being a huge fan of PSU, I'll tell you right now that I didn't notice him in pass-blocking, but in run-blocking he was a beast. The guy got to the second level REALLY well. I remember one play where the announcers were talking about (I think it was Michigan State) the opposing team's leading tackler. On the next play, Shipley got the second level and just buried him, Royster followed Shipley so close that he tripped over him into the end zone. It was kind of funny.

Anyway, I think Shipley would need to put on some weight to face the 3-4 NT's, but he is a very good run-blocker, imo.