Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My THursday FA Thread

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My THursday FA Thread

7:50AM

Jabari Greer's deal with New Orleans is for $23-million over 4 years, with $10-million guaranteed. I'm at least mildly surprised Buffalo didn't resign him at this rate. That's not a lot to have two starters locked up long term (McKelvin the other). There is little doubt McGee will cost a whole lot more next offseason, so unless Drayton Florence is good enough to start in 2010, Buffalo will be in the market for a corner once again next winter.

* Robert Royal got $10-million over 4 years (same exact deal he got in Buffalo in 2006), and $6-million is guaranteed. You have fun with that, Cleveland.

* No word on Cato June as of late last night, but I have to think if the Bills really want him (I don't know yet) that he's ours. Truth is, unlike a lot of other LB's in Free agency, June is specific to the Bills scheme. There's only a handful of teams that use this kind of defense. He's already been cut from Tampa and Indianapolis. Chicago is not likely to pursue him. Kansas City is in full blown rebuild mode. I think for June it would be the Bills who would give him the best opportunity to put up good numbers. I think a three-year deal for around $10-million would get a deal done for sure.

* One good indication if they're close to signing June will be if Mike Peterson comes to town. If he does, then the Bills may be far off. If he doesn't, then I think June is signing here. They're not going to sign June and Peterson, as both would get starter money. Atlanta is also interested in Peterson.

* Don't think Kevin Jones made it to One Bills Drive yesterday. I think it's because he's on the verge of resigning with Chicago.

* Save the discussions about T.O, because he is not coming to Buffalo. I have to admit though, for all his negativity, if nothing else he would create a tremendous buzz regarding Buffalo. Talk about getting your fans talking again. I spoke to ESPN.com writer Tim Graham and he concluded that he's never seen Bills fans as disgruntled as they are now.

* More realistically, I expect Amani Toomer's phone to ring in the next day or two. The team wants an inexpensive insurance policy for James Hardy in 2009. Steve Johnson should see his role grow, but don't think the Bills are willing to bank on him being a top three receiver just yet.

* Don't expect the Bills to make a play for Torry Holt, even if he is released. He would cost more than the team is willing to pay.
    Last edited by patmoran2006; 03-05-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: My THursday FA Thread

The Greer deal pisses me off. I don't why we chose Florence over him. We easily could have matched that.

As for Royal..... Cleveland

I really hope that Cato June signs with us, if not...then I'm going to hitch my wagon to Freddy Keiaho. He was pretty good on the Colts for the past couple years and is another small LB that would fit in nicely in our ****ty Cover 2 defense, at WLB.

Kevin Jones or DaShaun Foster....

I am disgruntled, especially now after they lost Coles and Greer for only a difference of a million bucks per year. But I don't want TO anywhere near Buffalo. No way in hell!

I heard that they asked about Toomer and he basically told them, "Not interested". I don't know why they wouldn't go after Joey Galloway or Torry Holt now. I don't care what they cost. Bring them in for a couple seasons while Hardy and Johnson develop....

clumping platelets

Drew Bennett

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by clumping platelets
    Drew Bennett
    Didn't know he was available. I wouldn't mind bringing him in.
    BERNIAC!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Regarding Greer, I think tbh that it was as much 'pastures new' as anything else - maybe also with a pretty much guaranteed, starting role, thrown in.
    Should the deal read 5 years and not 6 Pat?
    If you read Greer's comments on Tim Grahams blog, it seems like he was just ready to move on.
    Also, over on BB.com boards, there's a guy who apparently knows him who posts. That guy seemed pretty pessimistic about a deal being done all along, even if we were outbidding other people.
    Put two and two together, and in this instance at least, I don't think you can blame the Bills FO - especially as they supposedly made Greer another offer after the 5 years $20 million that has been reported.
    While I've felt that some patience was due, there now needs to be some urgency injected in OBD, as the holes we have, do not show much sign of being filled.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey82
    The Greer deal pisses me off. I don't why we chose Florence over him. We easily could have matched that.

As for Royal..... Cleveland

I really hope that Cato June signs with us, if not...then I'm going to hitch my wagon to Freddy Keiaho. He was pretty good on the Colts for the past couple years and is another small LB that would fit in nicely in our ****ty Cover 2 defense, at WLB.

Kevin Jones or DaShaun Foster....

I am disgruntled, especially now after they lost Coles and Greer for only a difference of a million bucks per year. But I don't want TO anywhere near Buffalo. No way in hell!

I heard that they asked about Toomer and he basically told them, "Not interested". I don't know why they wouldn't go after Joey Galloway or Torry Holt now. I don't care what they cost. Bring them in for a couple seasons while Hardy and Johnson develop....
    Where did you hear Buffalo inquired about Toomer and he said "not interested?"

I find that odd. Unless he plans on retiring, Toomer's phone isn't ringing off the hook.. I said before the Coles stuff even began Toomer would be perfect for this team. He could play a role and only have to be counted on for the immediate future.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buddo
    Regarding Greer, I think tbh that it was as much 'pastures new' as anything else - maybe also with a pretty much guaranteed, starting role, thrown in.
    Should the deal read 5 years and not 6 Pat?
    If you read Greer's comments on Tim Grahams blog, it seems like he was just ready to move on.
    Also, over on BB.com boards, there's a guy who apparently knows him who posts. That guy seemed pretty pessimistic about a deal being done all along, even if we were outbidding other people.
    Put two and two together, and in this instance at least, I don't think you can blame the Bills FO - especially as they supposedly made Greer another offer after the 5 years $20 million that has been reported.
    While I've felt that some patience was due, there now needs to be some urgency injected in OBD, as the holes we have, do not show much sign of being filled.
    yes, it it is for 4 years, not 6.. good catch (thanks)
    Last edited by patmoran2006; 03-05-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Great work again Pat.

I agree with your last bullet about Holt not being a Bill, but I just don't think that money should be an excuse for this team anymore. As has been said, a veteran in the WR core who provides leadership and most of all takes some pressure off of Lee would do wonders for the offense IMO.

in·ept
    Adjective: Having or showing no skill; clumsy.

:historian:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by clumping platelets
    Drew Bennett
    Hmmm, I always liked him in Tennessee. He's bigger too and would give us a Vet to put opposite Lee Evans. Okay, let's bring him in for a visit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    Where did you hear Buffalo inquired about Toomer and he said "not interested?"

I find that odd. Unless he plans on retiring, Toomer's phone isn't ringing off the hook.. I said before the Coles stuff even began Toomer would be perfect for this team. He could play a role and only have to be counted on for the immediate future.
    I read it on one of the Bills messageboard last week. It's probably BS, but i just see him wanting to come here.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by topher180
    Great work again Pat.

I agree with your last bullet about Holt not being a Bill, but I just don't think that money should be an excuse for this team anymore. As has been said, a veteran in the WR core who provides leadership and most of all takes some pressure off of Lee would do wonders for the offense IMO.
    Unfortunately, money is always going to be an issue with this team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by topher180
    Great work again Pat.

Money should definitely NOT be an excuse, especially with how frustrated the fans are and how they need to patch up the team and fill some big holes.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,126 Times in 4,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Did Marvin Harrison sign anywhere yet?

The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97 User Manuel's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    7:50AM

Jabari Greer's deal with New Orleans is for $23-million over 4 years, with $10-million guaranteed. I'm at least mildly surprised Buffalo didn't resign him at this rate. That's not a lot to have two starters locked up long term (McKelvin the other). There is little doubt McGee will cost a whole lot more next offseason, so unless Drayton Florence is good enough to start in 2010, Buffalo will be in the market for a corner once again next winter.

- I think it is the guaranteed money that scared the Bills off. Did he get a signing bonus of any type?

* Robert Royal got $10-million over 4 years (same exact deal he got in Buffalo in 2006), and $6-million is guaranteed. You have fun with that, Cleveland.
    - Not defending Royal so much as saying he got Glen Parker-ed here. Robert Royal is a medicore starting TE in this league. He was hardly the worst problem here last year. He was a one-bills drive scapegoat.

* No word on Cato June as of late last night, but I have to think if the Bills really want him (I don't know yet) that he's ours. Truth is, unlike a lot of other LB's in Free agency, June is specific to the Bills scheme. There's only a handful of teams that use this kind of defense. He's already been cut from Tampa and Indianapolis. Chicago is not likely to pursue him. Kansas City is in full blown rebuild mode. I think for June it would be the Bills who would give him the best opportunity to put up good numbers. I think a three-year deal for around $10-million would get a deal done for sure.

* One good indication if they're close to signing June will be if Mike Peterson comes to town. If he does, then the Bills may be far off. If he doesn't, then I think June is signing here. They're not going to sign June and Peterson, as both would get starter money. Atlanta is also interested in Peterson.

- I could like either here. Each would be a good signing on their own.

* Don't think Kevin Jones made it to One Bills Drive yesterday. I think it's because he's on the verge of resigning with Chicago.

- A-Ok with me. I just don't like him.

* Save the discussions about T.O, because he is not coming to Buffalo. I have to admit though, for all his negativity, if nothing else he would create a tremendous buzz regarding Buffalo. Talk about getting your fans talking again. I spoke to ESPN.com writer Tim Graham and he concluded that he's never seen Bills fans as disgruntled as they are now.

- It would be a buzz sort of like the one just after a major disaster. It would be like watching a train wreck in slow motion over the course of a full season.

* More realistically, I expect Amani Toomer's phone to ring in the next day or two. The team wants an inexpensive insurance policy for James Hardy in 2009. Steve Johnson should see his role grow, but don't think the Bills are willing to bank on him being a top three receiver just yet.

- I am ok with this. I really, really didn't like the idea of Coles in Buffalo, it seemed very square peg -round hole to me. There are other options outside of Toomer and Holt that can help us as well. I think patience here will really pay off.

* Don't expect the Bills to make a play for Torry Holt, even if he is released. He would cost more than the team is willing to pay.

- I would like Holt, but I doubt we compete for him if he becomes a free agent. He has Dallas Cowboy written all over him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral
    Did Marvin Harrison sign anywhere yet?
    No and I would definitely bring him in for a visit and a signing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Drew Bennett had like one good year, other than that he is no better than Josh Reed.

I think Greer played his cards wrong too. He kept going on visit after visit to get his 7 or 8 million and then Detroit signed Buchanon and the Bills signed Florence. So he knew he better get something now.

Besides Florence is a good deal also.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Toomer would not be an improvement over Josh Reed. He's had very little production for the NYGs lately and the team's offense is a heck of a lot better/more balanced than ours. Slow and old is not the way to go.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

c'mon Toomer, sign with Buffalo!
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ct bills fan
    Toomer would not be an improvement over Josh Reed. He's had very little production for the NYGs lately and the team's offense is a heck of a lot better/more balanced than ours. Slow and old is not the way to go.
    They are loaded with good receivers and Eli spreads the ball around a LOT. Just because Toomer didn't get the ball a lot like he used to, doesn't mean he's old and slow. He's a very good veteran and he still has good hands and can read routes like the best of them. I think you're being way too hard on him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Florence didn't replace Greer... McKelvin did and it's his job to lose.