Thread: Anyone catch this?

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Anyone catch this?

Pats switched to a 4-3?

It was on NFL Live.

I didnt realize they had done this.

There depth chart shows a 3-4.

It was a brief comment followed by a comment that Jerod Mayo will be able to make the transition.

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.c...&pcid=44&rss=1

If this is true, or even if the simply play the 4-3 more, I like our chances better. We never seem to play well against 3-4 teams.

Add in the 6 starters they lost on D.

This may be a winnable game.
    Last edited by EdwardsEra; 09-12-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Circling the Wagons since 1982. T-Long's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Anyone catch this?

I did see that...I wonder why they switched? Maybe the loss of Seymour and Bruschi forced them to do it. But boy, they do have a great 3-4 NT in Wilfork.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I haven't watched them at all this year. When did they do that? Besides, they will probably run a lot of each throughout a game.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You can try and label it if you want, but we all know belicheat comes up with a bunch of ridiculous defensive formations every game. They run it all. 4-3, 3-4, 4-6, no down linemen. They do all kinds of crap.

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think this is old news actually. I remember it being borught up during preseason.

it doens't matter if the Pats run the 3-4, 4-3, 4-6 , or even the 1-2... They're coached so well they can throw it all at us, and leave the Bills scratching their heads.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This has been in the works all offseason through the preseason. They have played mostly 4-3 as their base set all camp.

Basically, the Pats are building their defense around Jarod Mayo. Belichick loves his ability and this frees him up to roam sideline to sideline instead of having to take on OL.

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NE39
    This has been in the works all offseason through the preseason. They have played mostly 4-3 as their base set all camp.

Basically, the Pats are building their defense around Jarod Mayo. Belichick loves his ability and this frees him up to roam sideline to sideline instead of having to take on OL.
    Are you kidding me.. A HC and DC working togehter to create the best scheme that matches their players abilities

Who has ever heard of such a thing...

Somebody forward this info to Dick Jauwrong

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Its all about Mayo pretty much along with how much they love what Ron Brace has shown so far (reason why they could move R.S) If Ron Brace lives up to his expectations they will still have a sick DL

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTMODE
    Its all about Mayo pretty much along with how much they love what Ron Brace has shown so far (reason why they could move R.S) If Ron Brace lives up to his expectations they will still have a sick DL
    The Seymour deal was done because they knew they wouldn't be re-signing him next year (considering the other players they have to deal with), and they were able to get a 1st round pick back for 1 year of play from Big Sey. It was done thinking long-term.

I do think they like their DL depth, with guys like Jarvis Green, Mike Wright, Brace and rookie Myron Pryor. However, none of those guys is Seymour.

I think the big genesis behind the move was the struggles the last couple years. The Pats have always been a big defense because of their 3-4 LB, but they have been getting killed by a lack of speed in the back-end of their defense.

I think that is reason for the move: speed. Mayo can run like a deer. Gary Guyton was the fastest LB at the combine a year ago. Adalius Thomas is a big guy who runs pretty well, and can play OLB or DE. Same with Derrick Burgess.

There is little doubt the Pats will be in transition on defense. I think they know their offense will score a lot of points, so that gives them time to integrate some new defensive players that will make them faster. Mayo, obviously, is a key piece, becoming team captain in only his second season. The development of young guys like Guyton, Brandon Meriweather, Jonathan Wilhite (who reminds me of Asante Samuel a little), Ron Brace, Pat Chung and Darius Butler during the year will go a long way towards telling if the the switch is successful or not.
    Last edited by Ickybaluky; 09-12-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I hate the Pats.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i had heard this...and it gives me a little hope....the bills will have to hit early to gain some confidence or this game will be like all the other pat vs bills games since 2003

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NE39
    The Seymour deal was done because they knew they wouldn't be re-signing him next year (considering the other players they have to deal with), and they were able to get a 1st round pick back for 1 year of play from Big Sey. It was done thinking long-term.
    I meant that it made it easier. They are happy with what they saw in Brace and Burgess.

Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo! Nighthawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by T-Long
    I did see that...I wonder why they switched? Maybe the loss of Seymour and Bruschi forced them to do it. But boy, they do have a great 3-4 NT in Wilfork.
    They don't have 3-4 DL anymore. Burgess is a 4-3 DE and is much more effective out of that alignment and their LBs aren't as strong. Unlike our coaching staff, their coaches actually put their players in the best positions to be successful.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk
    They don't have 3-4 DL anymore. Burgess is a 4-3 DE and is much more effective out of that alignment and their LBs aren't as strong. Unlike our coaching staff, their coaches actually put their players in the best positions to be successful.

Their LBs are still strong and good. They did it because this is the best thing for Mayo and they have players on the DL that can let them change the D to suit Mayo. Brace and Burgess have looked great in preseason. (Im a big fan of Brace BTW)

Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo! Nighthawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BEASTMODE
    Their LBs are still strong and good. They did it because this is the best thing for Mayo and they have players on the DL that can let them change the D to suit Mayo. Brace and Burgess have looked great in preseason. (Im a big fan of Brace BTW)
    I'm just reiterating what I heard on Sirius from somebody close to the NE organization. Either way, I still hate that f'n team!

Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker Throne Logic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think the scheme is going to matter too much for Monday night. So far, Buffalo has faced 5 different defensive flavors of either the 4-3 or 3-4 base and accomplished nothing substantial against any of them, game planning or not.
    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

they've been playing a 4-3 most of the preseason.. however they will also line up at 3-4 sometimes

Circling the Wagons since 1982. T-Long's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

after reading these posts...I gotta say, it's like Pete and Repeat in here