Thread: On Aaron Maybin

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On Aaron Maybin

By Tyler Dunne

Aaron Maybin is an easy target. The 11th overall pick can do nothing right.
    He held out of training camp. He barely ever sees the field. He is twicked away effortlessly by offensive tackles. Multiple times, he celebrated wildly after a ho-hum tackle. He got locked in the attic. His Christmas tree set on fire. His boss subscribed him to the Jelly of the Month Club.

OK, maybe not the last three. But, wow, Maybin sure has become Buffalo’s own Clark Griswold. To many, he resembles $17.6 million down the drain — a wasted pick that will set the Bills back for years. You know, like Mike Williams. Only thinner.

Stop that. The undersized Maybin has been rag-dolled and ineffective but nobody should dismiss him yet. Be patient. There is plenty of time and plenty of hope for the Karl Malone-built speed rusher from Penn State. Management probably freaked Wednesday when Aaron Schobel said he is thinking about retiring after the season. That means the offseason grocery list mounts.

MORE

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: On Aaron Maybin

A good point... I'll be patient with him. I just fear he's never going to be elite no matter how much of a turnaround he makes, and its getting a little old getting non-elite players in the 1st half of the 1st round.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who knows... He may never become elite. But he's bought and paid for (bonus wise)... We can still get good production from him that would equal or exceed his yearly rookie salary.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

and lets not kid ourselves its not we have a solid coaching staff in place to get the most out of this kid.

he gets a flyer by me till well into next season

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

his first step is very quick, and he had a good counter move in the preseason but all the promise he exhibited in the preseason has yet to show in the regular season. He is way too small right now.

Maybe he will be good, maybe he will be a bust. I kind of like his attitude though, he really liked Buffalo coming out of the draft and embraced the city. (Even though it hasn't embraced him.) He's confident and wants more play time. I say he needs o gain weight and needs to get on the field!
    I am The Batman.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whether he turns into an 'OK' player or not, the Bills should not be picking players that are obviously going to be difficult projects instead of picking a player that can actually play now. We aren't in the position to be picking a project with our 1st round pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,922 Times in 3,550 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DMBcrew36
    Whether he turns into an 'OK' player or not, the Bills should not be picking players that are obviously going to be difficult projects instead of picking a player that can actually play now. We aren't in the position to be picking a project with our 1st round pick.
    Couldn't agree more.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132
    Couldn't agree more.
    I mean, maybe if we were the New England Patriots or Indianapolis Colts we could afford to have our 1st round pick wait around - but even they don't strike me as teams that would spend their 1st round pick on a major project, rather than a player who was good enough to contribute right away. What does that tell you if the best teams in the league probably wouldn't ever spend a 1st on a project? Maybe that's why we're destined to suck - because we pick projects like Maybin with such important picks.

Why the hell would you invest yourself heavily into an extreme unknown, unproven, risk, when you could put that investment into a guy who has shown he is probably NFL ready.
    Last edited by DMBcrew36; 12-26-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I feel the problem with Maybin is he is a project and the Bills are not in position for a project player. That is not Maybins fault. To compound the problem most fans wanted Orakpo over Maybin an Orakpo has been very successful in Washington.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DMBcrew36
    Now I don't have to post in this thread.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?