Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This team can't even ****ing win correctly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: This team can't even ****ing win correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    Did the Sabres give up a chance to be tied in points with the Devils by failing to finish the game in regulation or not?

The Sabres missed the playoffs by TWO POINTS last year. We gave up one point to the team ahead of us in the standings- that's half the margin that kept us out of the playoffs this year. You guys are sitting here arguing that a point here or a point there doesn't matter, but it does.
    If they miss the playoffs this year because they gave an extra point to NJ, then you feel free to *****.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No- at the end of the day, the Devils are still ahead of us in the standings and it's still on the Sabres to make up the gap. Do they have reasons to be concerned after that game? Probably, but they're still ahead.

Just because everyone disagrees with me doesn't make me wrong. The majority does not determine reality.
    Hilarious!!!

Yes it does OP. It really does.

I mess around with you a lot but this thread is one of your more ridiculous in awhile.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,352 Times in 13,758 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar36
    Whoa, settle down.

Yes, they aren't "tied" with NJ, even though NJ would've still had the tie-breaker. However, we're talking about 2nd and 3rd place in the EC, not 8th and 9th.

There are also 30 games left to make up that one point.

Including the very last game of the season.

I think the game tonight and the games against Ottawa are much more of a big deal than this game against NJ.
    Do you really want the Sabres to have to beat Brodeur on the road in the final game of the season to secure playoff positioning?

Granted, there are still 30 games left and it may not go down like that, but I'd much rather start making up ground now and lessen the chances of that happening so we don't have to worry about it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR
    Hilarious!!!

Yes it does OP. It really does.

I mess around with you a lot but this thread is one of your more ridiculous in awhile.
    If I said the sky was blue and 50 people came on here and argued with me that the sky was red, I'd still be right. That's what's going on here.

The Sabres let the team just ahead of them in the standings remain ahead of them in the standings by not finishing the game in regulation. You guys can make all the excuses about road trips and "hard fought games" or whatever you want, but the reality is that the Devils got a point out of the game and thus remain ahead of us in the standings. Nothing you can say will change that fact.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR
    Man you are something.
    How many 1 - 0 shutouts do you see on a nightly basis?

How can you possibly make this statement in a serious manner?
    I don't care about winning 1-0. I just care about not giving up free points to teams close to us in the standings. Why is that so hard to understand?

Dude's Little Ignorant Crony RockStar36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Do you really want the Sabres to have to beat Brodeur on the road in the final game of the season to secure playoff positioning?

Granted, there are still 30 games left and it may not go down like that, but I'd much rather start making up ground now and lessen the chances of that happening so we don't have to worry about it.
    First of all, I'm pretty sure they won 4-1 in the their only game in NJ this season.

Second, they did make up ground. They started out the other night down 2 points to NJ, and finished the night down 1 point. Last time I checked, that is making up ground.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First of all, I'm pretty sure they won 4-1 in the their only game in NJ this season.

Second, they did make up ground. They started out the other night down 2 points to NJ, and finished the night down 1 point. Last time I checked, that is making up ground.
    but they could have been tied. Instead they settled for still being one point down. That's what frustrates me. Why am I the only one who seems to care about that? I just don't get it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't care about winning 1-0. I just care about not giving up free points to teams close to us in the standings. Why is that so hard to understand?
    Because your never happy and it is sad.
    BERNIAC!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

but they could have been tied. Instead they settled for still being one point down. That's what frustrates me. Why am I the only one who seems to care about that? I just don't get it.
    But they wouldn't have been tied. NJ would've had the tie-breaker so the standings would've looked exactly the same, besides the one point difference.

I guess I'm not that upset about it because there are 30 games left to go.

I wish we could all just relax a little bit until the trade deadline. We'll know a whole lot more when that time comes of what this team is made of or what they will do.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by hydrosmak
    Because your never happy and it is sad.
    There were four possible outcomes to the game.

1. A win (2 points for us, 0 for for them)
    2. An OT Win (2 for us, 1 for them)
    3. An OT loss (1 for us, 2 for them)
    4. A loss (0 for us, 2 for them).

The team failed to obtain the best possible outcome, and failed to tie NJ in points. Why would anyone who claims to be a fan of the team be happy with anything less than the best possible outcome? That doesn't make any sense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

On a lighter note to this game, anybody not on Twitter or following me missed one of the greatest crow eating moments of my life about this game. BMN knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,694 Times in 8,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The team played poorly in the 3rd. "Gave the game away" may have been poor terminology, but there is simply no excuse for that ****ing pathetic effort.

You keep bringing up winning by 3+ goals every game and going 82-0. I NEVER said anything about that. I'm talking about simply WINNING IN REGULATION TO AVOID GIVING A RIVAL POINTS IN THE STANDINGS. I don't get why you don't see a problem with giving the Devils a free point. In this situation, a win only counts as half a win in the standings because of the NHL's ****ty system.

You keep going back to "Well NJ did it too!" which is ****ing irrelevant because it doesn't give the Sabres an excuse to be bad as well. You keep going back to these ludicrous examples about the SC finals or going 82-0, which is a tactic that shows the weakness of your position.
    Maybe the Devils earned the point.

There is no weakness in my position. What I am trying to show you is that you are *****ing about a win. Yes NJ get a point. But if the only acceptable outcome against the 2nd best team in the East (and 4th in the NHL) is a win in regulation, wouldn't that also be the only acceptable outcome against all lesser teams? Wouldn't that lead to a record that is almost 82-0?

The Sabres played the 4th best team in the league and the 2nd best in the East and won. And you are pissed about that. Livid. You find winning unacceptable.

If beating NJ in a SO in unacceptable, then when is acceptable to win in a SO? Only against Washington, Chicago and San Jose?

Sure it would have been nice to win in regulation. But they did not. Winning in a SO/OT is perfectly acceptable. They got more points than NJ in that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There were four possible outcomes to the game.

1. A win (2 points for us, 0 for for them)
    2. An OT Win (2 for us, 1 for them)
    3. An OT loss (1 for us, 2 for them)
    4. A loss (0 for us, 2 for them).

The team failed to obtain the best possible outcome, and failed to tie NJ in points. Why would anyone who claims to be a fan of the team be happy with anything less than the best possible outcome? That doesn't make any sense.
    And you are acting like it is the worst possible outcome.

Although this proves that you will only be happy with an 82-0 record, with all wins in regulation.

No doubt outcome #1 is the best. But the reality is that outcome does not happen every game. When playing other top teams, sometimes you take the win and be happy with it. It is not a disaster to win games ina shootout.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter
    Maybe the Devils earned the point.

There is no weakness in my position. What I am trying to show you is that you are *****ing about a win. Yes NJ get a point. But if the only acceptable outcome against the 2nd best team in the East (and 4th in the NHL) is a win in regulation, wouldn't that also be the only acceptable outcome against all lesser teams? Wouldn't that lead to a record that is almost 82-0?

The Sabres played the 4th best team in the league and the 2nd best in the East and won. And you are pissed about that. Livid. You find winning unacceptable.

If beating NJ in a SO in unacceptable, then when is acceptable to win in a SO? Only against Washington, Chicago and San Jose?

Sure it would have been nice to win in regulation. But they did not. Winning in a SO/OT is perfectly acceptable. They got more points than NJ in that game.
    The Sabres shouldn't LET them earn the point- that's their job and they didn't do it.

Winning in a SO/OT is only acceptable when it's against a WC team or a team so far behind the Sabres in the standings that it won't make a difference. Creating extra points in the standings by going to OT against teams close to us in the standings is dangerous, as missing the playoffs by two points last year shows.

To me, the only acceptable outcome to that game was a regulation win. Yes, I know it's unrealistic to expect the team to go 82-0 with no SO/OT wins. But for each individual game, the goal is a regulation win. When the opponent is an EC team close to to the Sabres in the standings, a regulation win becomes even more important.

I don't find winning unacceptable- I find giving up a point to the team just ahead of us in the standings unacceptable.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Op, what is an acceptable outcome for tonight's game?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Op, what is an acceptable outcome for tonight's game?
    Obviously the regulation win is the best possible outcome.

In this particular case, a SO/OT win wouldn't anger me because it would just mean that Boston is 16 points behind us in the standings instead of 17. I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but clearly giving up a point to Boston doesn't have nearly the implications of giving up a point to NJ, Washington, Ottawa, Pittsburgh.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Obviously the regulation win is the best possible outcome.

In this particular case, a SO/OT win wouldn't anger me because it would just mean that Boston is 16 points behind us in the standings instead of 17. I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but clearly giving up a point to Boston doesn't have nearly the implications of giving up a point to NJ, Washington, Ottawa, Pittsburgh.
    So it is OK to have a SO/TO win against a lesser team but not a top level team?

That makes no sense. None.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter
    So it is OK to have a SO/TO win against a lesser team but not a top level team?

That makes no sense. None.
    Sure it does. You're basing your acceptable outcome on the quality of the opponent, which is irrelevant. It's the sabres' jobbto win hockey games, not beat bad teams while losing or going to OT against good ones.

I'm basing mine on what the Sabres have to do to help themselves in the standings. Right now, giving up a point to Boston is unlikely to affect the Sabres in the standings. Giving up a point to thebother teams I mentioned is very likely to hurt them in the standings. It's quite simple really.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sure it does. You're basing your acceptable outcome on the quality of the opponent, which is irrelevant. It's the sabres' jobbto win hockey games, not beat bad teams while losing or going to OT against good ones.

I'm basing mine on what the Sabres have to do to help themselves in the standings. Right now, giving up a point to Boston is unlikely to affect the Sabres in the standings. Giving up a point to thebother teams I mentioned is very likely to hurt them in the standings. It's quite simple really.
    So quality of opponent is irrelevant?

So if they lose to Carolina next week you won't *****?

Sure. Ok.

BTW, NJ gve up two points to the Sabres. As previously mentioned, 2 > 1. So the Sabres gained ground. It's true. Really. It is.

And I question as to whether or not it is "very likely" to hurt them in the standings. More likely? Sure. Very likely? I dunno. Or if finishing 3rd is that much worse than finishing 2nd if it does.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Op is WRONG guys. He knows it in his heart but too stubborn to admit it to us.