Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marcell Dareus Highlights and Discussion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Marcell Dareus Highlights and Discussion

A great selection of highlight videos I found for Marcell Dareus in the Bama-Spartan Bowl game.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/...-dt-de-alabama

Although Dareus is clearly a top talent I still don't think he will be our pick at 3.

Here is my reasoning....

1. We have already invested in the DL. We have KW who is solid, We drafted Troup in the second and Carrington in the third. We also signed Dawan Edwards who had a very good year before getting hurt. Spencer Johnson is also coming along in the new scheme.

2. I don't think Dareus is in the 3 best players in college football category. Many fans here, I believe, want Dareus simply because they saw us getting gashed on the ground week after week. IMO, drafting Dareus solely for that purpose and paying him 50 mil is a knee-jerk reaction. We need to draft a player who is considered FAR AND AWAY the best at his position, without question.

For me, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson and Bowers represent the players who are the three best football players available regardless of position. Then when you factor in position, Green is without question the best WR, Patrick Peterson is probably the best CB to come out since Charles Woodson and Bowers is the best pure pass rusher available out of all DL players. Dareus is neither the best pass rusher nor the best run defender at his position, they would be Fairley and Clayborn respectively. How can you justify taking a player at 3 who is not the best at anything?

3. The NYJ have a great pass rush and run D for 2 reasons. 1 is the talent they have at ILB and second is their CBs.

The Jets DL is good but I think ours can be as good, what we are missing to help in the run game is ILBs who are tough against the run. Poz is not that guy and neither was Ayodele. Getting run stuffers behind our DL will go a long way to fixing our run D.

Now the other factor is lockdown CBs. Revis and Cro allow the Jets to crowd the LoS without worrying about the back end. That allows them to throw more guys in blitzes than you can block. They really don't have 1 guy who is considered a great pass rusher. Their pass rush is multiple and it is such because they have the CBs to do it.

That brings me to Patrick Peterson. This guy is the ultimate football player as Woodson was. Incredible athlete, incredible size (6'1 222) and has amazing speed and body control to go with it. This is not the kind of player you find everyday.

He and McKelvin on the other side would allow us to do a lot of exotic things with blitzes and coverages.

Think about it, our DL is improving, we add some ILBs, Merriman gets back to normal, Moats is a year better and Batten joins the mix. Peterson on the back end with Byrd and Mckelvin allows that front 7 to be very aggressive, both against the run and the pass.

That's my take.
    Last edited by Mahdi; 01-20-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Marcell Dareus Highlights and Discussion

I'm fine with Peterson or Dareus. I have a feeling Bowers is going to be out of the question at #3, mainly due to only having one year of real production. There will be enough guys left (out of at least Green, Peterson and Dareus) that they can avoid a one-year wonder.

I have a feeling they'll take Peterson, and I'm personally fine with it.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Respect you opinion but disagree on Dareus.
    I think he is a top-10 overall talent. Definte top-3 d-linemen.
    The thing I've noticed about this kid the last two years is he seems to play his best in the big games.
    Heis young but has produced for a couple of seasons already.
    would be the best fit for what it looks like the Bills will do on defense.

For me the #3 pick is Dareus, Bowers, Fairley, Gabbert, or a trade down for Mallett or Locker and get extra picks.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I want a d linemen or qb, that's it but if we take Peterson then fine, at least it helps us beat New England and improves the defense. Green would make me lose my mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreArthurMoates
    I want a d linemen or qb, that's it but if we take Peterson then fine, at least it helps us beat New England and improves the defense. Green would make me lose my mind.
    I could live with Peterson. If it's Green I will have some tixs for you I won't be using.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,431 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like Dareus a lot, but I completely agree with your first point that the Bills have a lot invested in the DL. I really don't think our DL is a big weakness despite our inability at times this past season to stop the run and get pressure. I put that mostly on our LB's. I also have a feeling the Bills don't see the DL as a weakness either and really like Troup and Carrington. I think Dareus is the pick only if Buddy and Co. truly believe he's the BPA at #3.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Peterson is the pick, assuming he doesn't get picked by Denver.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Our #3 pick is the highest we've had since we got Bruce Smith with the #1 overall pick. I think we have to use it to take the best available player, whether it be peterson or dareus (we better not take Green - WR is our deepest position). I think trading the pick is an interesting move because the talent goes deeper in this draft, but it also leaves us more susceptible to another first round bust, which is something I won't be able to handle emotionally haha

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We havent invested enough on the DL. The proof is on the field on gameday. IMO, the only way we skip on drafting Dareus is if Nix decides to address stopping the run via FA.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    We havent invested enough on the DL. The proof is on the field on gameday. IMO, the only way we skip on drafting Dareus is if Nix decides to address stopping the run via FA.
    That would be nice, but didn't Nix say he is committed to fixing issues through the draft?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt
    I could live with Peterson. If it's Green I will have some tixs for you I won't be using.
    Why would I want them, I stated that I would not like the Green pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi
    A great selection of highlight videos I found for Marcell Dareus in the Bama-Spartan Bowl game.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/...-dt-de-alabama

Although Dareus is clearly a top talent I still don't think he will be our pick at 3.

Here is my reasoning....

1. We have already invested in the DL. We have KW who is solid, We drafted Troup in the second and Carrington in the third. We also signed Dawan Edwards who had a very good year before getting hurt. Spencer Johnson is also coming along in the new scheme.

2. I don't think Dareus is in the 3 best players in college football category. Many fans here, I believe, want Dareus simply because they saw us getting gashed on the ground week after week. IMO, drafting Dareus solely for that purpose and paying him 50 mil is a knee-jerk reaction. We need to draft a player who is considered FAR AND AWAY the best at his position, without question.

For me, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson and Bowers represent the players who are the three best football players available regardless of position. Then when you factor in position, Green is without question the best WR, Patrick Peterson is probably the best CB to come out since Charles Woodson and Bowers is the best pure pass rusher available out of all DL players. Dareus is neither the best pass rusher nor the best run defender at his position, they would be Fairley and Clayborn respectively. How can you justify taking a player at 3 who is not the best at anything?

3. The NYJ have a great pass rush and run D for 2 reasons. 1 is the talent they have at ILB and second is their CBs.

The Jets DL is good but I think ours can be as good, what we are missing to help in the run game is ILBs who are tough against the run. Poz is not that guy and neither was Ayodele. Getting run stuffers behind our DL will go a long way to fixing our run D.

Now the other factor is lockdown CBs. Revis and Cro allow the Jets to crowd the LoS without worrying about the back end. That allows them to throw more guys in blitzes than you can block. They really don't have 1 guy who is considered a great pass rusher. Their pass rush is multiple and it is such because they have the CBs to do it.

That brings me to Patrick Peterson. This guy is the ultimate football player as Woodson was. Incredible athlete, incredible size (6'1 222) and has amazing speed and body control to go with it. This is not the kind of player you find everyday.

He and McKelvin on the other side would allow us to do a lot of exotic things with blitzes and coverages.

Think about it, our DL is improving, we add some ILBs, Merriman gets back to normal, Moats is a year better and Batten joins the mix. Peterson on the back end with Byrd and Mckelvin allows that front 7 to be very aggressive, both against the run and the pass.

That's my take.
    Good post and I agree with many of your points included the bolded, but being the best in CFB has little to do with how good you may be in the NFL. Dareus versatility, power, and potential are unmatched among the top DL in this draft as you project forward.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,431 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    I think Nix will address the run by getting better LB's. There's no question that they were our weakest unit on D and are a critical component of the 3-4. Also, if Nix was willing to invest 2nd and 3rd round picks in Troup and Carrington, he's gotta believe that they are going to develop and grow into very solid players.

Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo! Nighthawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62
    I'm fine with Peterson or Dareus. I have a feeling Bowers is going to be out of the question at #3, mainly due to only having one year of real production. There will be enough guys left (out of at least Green, Peterson and Dareus) that they can avoid a one-year wonder.

I have a feeling they'll take Peterson, and I'm personally fine with it.
    Why? This does nothing to address a major weakness...which is stopping the run or franchise QB. If they take a CB, mark it down...this team will continue to be bad for at least another 5 years. At some point, you need to start addressing deficiences in your team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk
    Why? This does nothing to address a major weakness...which is stopping the run or franchise QB. If they take a CB, mark it down...this team will continue to be bad for at least another 5 years. At some point, you need to start addressing deficiences in your team.
    Try not to be overly dramatic about ONE draft pick. It's not like the first round is the only round to get players.

Despite what you seem to think, CB IS a deficiency on this team. Jauron chose a lot of CB's, but apparently not very good ones. People can talk all they want about how our pass rush will solve the problem - that's not always true. I've seen plenty of cases where the QB throws the ball within 2 seconds and completes it.

I'm definitely someone who desperately wants to fix the OL, DL, and LB positions. That being said, when the talent is there, you take it. A lot of top-flight DE's have come from the later rounds, and a lot of top OT's have been found outside of the first round.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Try not to be overly dramatic about ONE draft pick. It's not like the first round is the only round to get players.

Despite what you seem to think, CB IS a deficiency on this team. Jauron chose a lot of CB's, but apparently not very good ones. People can talk all they want about how our pass rush will solve the problem - that's not always true. I've seen plenty of cases where the QB throws the ball within 2 seconds and completes it.

I'm definitely someone who desperately wants to fix the OL, DL, and LB positions. That being said, when the talent is there, you take it. A lot of top-flight DE's have come from the later rounds, and a lot of top OT's have been found outside of the first round.
    Umm...what is the major reason why this franchise is where it is (besides Wilson?)??? Oh yeah, because of their stupid 1st round draft picks...it's not being over dramatic...it's a fact.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

CB is NOT the reason the defense is porous...not even close. When something is broken, do you try to fix the problem or just upgrade another part and hope the entire package gets better? Well, of course you fix the problem(s). Your theory and many others on here, about taking BPA, will not help this team get better...it's a nice theory, but that's all it is. The only way to get better is to get better players at positions that are HUGE problems...it's really that simple. The difference between a guy at a need position at #3 and the rankings difference between possibly the best player in this draft is minimal at best, so the BPA theory doesn't carry much water. JMO

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Umm...what is the major reason why this franchise is where it is (besides Wilson?)??? Oh yeah, because of their stupid 1st round draft picks...it's not being over dramatic...it's a fact.
    I agree with you. But the reason their draft picks were stupid is not because they drafted the wrong position, it's because they drafted the wrong player. You don't rule out certain positions just because you think others are more pressing. That's actually one reason they've got to this point.

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi
    Here is my reasoning....

well in this regard all I can say is. "This game is won and lost in the trenches". You never stop trying to get better at any position, but no matter what they invested in recently it obviously wasn't enough, and we can definitely get better.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    I think Nix will address the run by getting better LB's. There's no question that they were our weakest unit on D and are a critical component of the 3-4. Also, if Nix was willing to invest 2nd and 3rd round picks in Troup and Carrington, he's gotta believe that they are going to develop and grow into very solid players.
    I agree that our lb'ing position was a problem. It doesn't seem like there's a lb'er in the draft that looks to be a Patrick Willis or is there one in FAcy? We already signed Merriman and there's still that one that went on IR (forget his name)

I'm not sure if there is one in the draft that can come in and upgrade the position right away but Dareus would be an upgrade even over Troup.

It's hard though. Nix has said he may not draft based on need but someone that can be a force for years to come. A lot of them fit the description. Green, Dareus, Peterson or maybe even a qb if they think either Gabbert or Newton .

I'm just trying to go with what we all know is the biggest problem with this team and it's stopping the run. Even they have made a big deal about it so who knows?
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-20-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

CB is NOT the reason the defense is porous...not even close. When something is broken, do you try to fix the problem or just upgrade another part and hope the entire package gets better? Well, of course you fix the problem(s). Your theory and many others on here, about taking BPA, will not help this team get better...it's a nice theory, but that's all it is. The only way to get better is to get better players at positions that are HUGE problems...it's really that simple. The difference between a guy at a need position at #3 and the rankings difference between possibly the best player in this draft is minimal at best, so the BPA theory doesn't carry much water. JMO
    Like I said before...the first round is not the only round in the draft. And yes, the BPA theory carries plenty of water.