Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chan Gailey/Does more with Less

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Chan Gailey/Does more with Less

Its no secret that Chan Gailey is a very creative, football savvy coach capable of accomplishing more with less. My question is, does there come a point when Gaileys exceptional innovative skills actual works against him and the team when it comes to accomplishing the ultimate goal,winning a Championship. Gailey can take no name WR's and turn them into stars, Stevie Johnson is a good example. Now I'm not saying Johnson's not a good athlete because he is, but I am saying without Chan Gailey coordinating the offense Johnson is just another average WR in the NFL. Career backup, Ryan Fitzpatrick is another good example. In all probability Fitzpatrick is about to have the best season of his career as a starting signal caller in the NFL. The Bills O-line is another good example, in my opinion the Bills O-line is in the top 5 worse O-lines in the league. On the other hand, Chan Gailey will take our current below average O-line and he's going to disguise it with exceptional scheming/ play calling and win football games.

Gailey can do more with less, no doubt about it, but my question to Buddy Nix is, can you be Football savvy enough to realize that with better talent accross the board on Offense and a good defense backing them up, Chan Gailey and the Buffalo Bills could win a Championship.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Chan Gailey/Does more with Less

From 7-9 to 4-12 is doing more with less?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the 7-9 bills were hardly competitive. hanging on against bad teams to pull out wins. the 4-12 bills were in games with good teams. Aside from the very beginning of the season, they showed that they were kind of a NFL team. They had problems, but then addressed them. Trent sucked, he was gone. Defense 3-4 was not ready personel wise, they went back.

Gailey's 4-12 season was much mroe enjoyable than the 7-9 jauron teams.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus
    the 7-9 bills were hardly competitive. hanging on against bad teams to pull out wins. the 4-12 bills were in games with good teams. Aside from the very beginning of the season, they showed that they were kind of a NFL team. They had problems, but then addressed them. Trent sucked, he was gone. Defense 3-4 was not ready personel wise, they went back.

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by dog14787
    Its no secret that Chan Gailey is a very creative, football savvy coach capable of accomplishing more with less. My question is, does there come a point when Gaileys exceptional innovative skills actual works against him and the team when it comes to accomplishing the ultimate goal,winning a Championship. Gailey can take no name WR's and turn them into stars, Stevie Johnson is a good example. Now I'm not saying Johnson's not a good athlete because he is, but I am saying without Chan Gailey coordinating the offense Johnson is just another average WR in the NFL. Career backup, Ryan Fitzpatrick is another good example. In all probability Fitzpatrick is about to have the best season of his career as a starting signal caller in the NFL. The Bills O-line is another good example, in my opinion the Bills O-line is in the top 5 worse O-lines in the league. On the other hand, Chan Gailey will take our current below average O-line and he's going to disguise it with exceptional scheming/ play calling and win football games.

Gailey can do more with less, no doubt about it, but my question to Buddy Nix is, can you be Football savvy enough to realize that with better talent accross the board on Offense and a good defense backing them up, Chan Gailey and the Buffalo Bills could win a Championship.
    I think the answer to your question really is a matter of how much control Chan Gailey actually has over the team, and who gets to play on it/ who doesn't etc. As far as Stevie Johnson is concerned, you can attribute his success last year to Ryan Fitzpatrick who made him his go to receiver. Johnson was the receiver Fitz felt more familiar with having thrown to him quite often in practice while Fitz was still a back up here. Gailey just went with what was working at the time. But that is what Gailey does. He will keep trying different things until something sticks, and then builds off of that. Whether that will ever win him a championship in this league is unknown. JMO

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bf1
    offensively speaking, I agree with trap. Defensively close to the same due to the transition. Even though we had the wrong players, at least they werent soft.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

ROFL? Really? You thought the bills were building anything in those 3.5 years of jauron. At the end of every year, you were mostly thankful it was over.

Last year it was a bitter taste to have the last couple games end as poorly as the first, but you knew some areas were finally addressed and that the team actually could make some decisions instead of ramming the same bull**** idea week to week, year to year.

Chan isn't like a legendary coach, but i think he's earned the next two years more so than Jauron ever did.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Extremebillsfan247
    I think the answer to your question really is a matter of how much control Chan Gailey actually has over the team, and who gets to play on it/ who doesn't etc. As far as Stevie Johnson is concerned, you can attribute his success last year to Ryan Fitzpatrick who made him his go to receiver. Johnson was the receiver Fitz felt more familiar with having thrown to him quite often in practice while Fitz was still a back up here. Gailey just went with what was working at the time. But that is what Gailey does. He will keep trying different things until something sticks, and then builds off of that. Whether that will ever win him a championship in this league is unknown. JMO
    I agree Extreme, and so far indications suggest Chan Gailey has a lot of clout as HC of the Buffalo Bills.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So you had more enjoyment watching the Bills go about .500 year after year with Jauron as HC than the excitement of most of the games, even the losses last year???

Thanks
    Thanked 4,377 Times in 2,101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus
    that's too much horse**** to swallow in one sentence.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days
    So you had more enjoyment watching the Bills go about .500 year after year with Jauron as HC than the excitement of most of the games, even the losses last year???
    Abso****inglutely not.

I hate 7-9. I hate 4-12 more.

I do not think 4-12 is better than 7-9.

I do not think a team has to go backwards or "bottom out" in order to improve.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33
    that's too much horse**** to swallow in one sentence.
    I bet psychologists can have a field day examining that type of thinking.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Abso****inglutely not.

I hate 7-9. I hate 4-12 more.

I do not think 4-12 is better than 7-9.

I do not think a team has to go backwards or "bottom out" in order to improve.

the records do not tell the whole story of how the team performed. The schedule did not help matters for Gailey in his 1st year of cleaning up Dicks mess. I prefer the losses to pitts and Ravens last year over the losses to the browns under Dick.

I'll take Chans 1st year over Dicks 3rd and 4th year anyday.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 08-10-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i just don't know how you take jauron's team that was mentality and physically soft and expect to just turn them around. and in the end, this year the draft positioning they had ended up being very beneficial. even their front office had a tough time blowing these picks this time.

and for the record, i think Jauron was like 3-6 when he was let go, and they won 3 more games simply because fewell was a breath of fresh air. So jauron was kind of cruising to a 3-13 season himself.

either way, neither team was that good. As i said a number of times, i felt like jauron teams were overacheiving 7-9 status. they were truly a 3 4 win team that managed to fight its way into a couple more wins.

Gailey didn't do that. with a couple extra bounces he could be at that same level.

it is what it is. i'd take gailey and his one **** season with the biills everyday if the only other option the table was Jauron.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    the records are not indicative of how the team performed. The schedule did not help matters for Gailey. I prefer the losses to pitts and Ravens last year over the losses to the browns under Dick.

Saying you prefer the losses to the Steelers and Ravens is like saying you preferred the Jauron led Bills loss to the Cowboys on MNF over Gaileys losses to the Jets - either one.

An L is an L.

And there was far more Ls last year than any of Jaurons years.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I've heard this song before. Pretty much every crappy season we have, some dudes congrat us and our coaches for being scrappy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY!
    Saying you prefer the losses to the Steelers and Ravens is like saying you preferred the Jauron led Bills loss to the Cowboys on MNF over Gaileys losses to the Jets - either one.

An L is an L.

And there was far more Ls last year than any of Jaurons years.
    A loss is just not a loss. Losing to a sb team is not worse than losing to a crappy browns.

It was expected that there would be more losses. Dick left wayyyy too much crap for any coach coming in to overcome.

and again it's gaileys Gaileys 1st year . We shall see soon enough if this team is headed the right way under Gailey. One things for sure this team was headed BACKWARDS the longer Dick was the HC. Typical of a team that Dick handles as HC. See the bears.

The premise of the thread is that Gailey could get so much more out of a bunch of undrafted rookies offensively than Dick could from a guy like TO and I agree.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A) Chan's teams seem to be better prepared pre-game. And I think he's much better with the needed second half adjustments.

B)Last year the players were all trying to get on the same page the new coaches laid out and the coaches were constantly assessing players strengths and weaknesses. Gaining familiarity !

With a year under the belt, things should be a little easier for both sides. the lockout didn't help and valuable mini camp and ota time was lost.

I seriously doubt if Jauron would dropped the hammer on Trent as quickly, and I doubt he would have send him packing.
    Both positive steps. He may have avoided any chance of a Qb controversy by shipping his ass off.
    Maybin not dressing all those games send out a message. either you produce or sit. first pick or not, Chan doesn't seem to give any player a free ride. But he and his staff have to show a step forward this year .

I actually got more enjoyment out of last years Bills then I have since wade was here. (there)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    A loss is just not a loss. Losing to a sb team is not worse than losing to a crappy browns.

It was expected that there would be more losses. Dick left wayyyy too much crap for any coach coming in to overcome.

and again it's gaileys Gaileys 1st year . We shall see soon enough if this team is headed the right way under Gailey. One things for sure this team was headed BACKWARDS the longer Dick was the HC. Typical of a team that Dick handles as HC. See the bears.

The premise of the thread is that Gailey could get so much more out of a bunch of undrafted rookies offensively than Dick could from a guy like TO and I agree.
    A loss is always a loss. They all count the same.. And at the end of the day the only thing that matters is a W. 7-9 is always better than 4-12 no matter how many times you try to spin it.

I think it's hilarious that you're trying to say the Gailey roster was so much worse than the Jauron rosters. And that somehow Gailey overachieved with the bunch of bums he had and Jauron held them back.

We've had expansion franchise level talent for years here and Jauron took that talent to 7-9 while Gailey took it to 4-12. But that's cool because Gailey made the offense look prettier by a tune of a point per game btw

Just completely forget he turned the defense into a complete joke and made them 6 points per game worse.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY!
    A loss is always a loss. They all count the same.. And at the end of the day the only thing that matters is a W. 7-9 is always better than 4-12 no matter how many times you try to spin it.

I think it's hilarious that you're trying to say the Gailey roster was so much worse than the Jauron rosters. And that somehow Gailey overachieved with the bunch of bums he had and Jauron held them back.

We've had expansion franchise level talent for years here and Jauron took that talent to 7-9 while Gailey took it to 4-12. But that's cool because Gailey made the offense look prettier by a tune of a point per game btw

Just completely forget he turned the defense into a complete joke and made them 6 points per game worse.
    it worse when you are trying to convert a bunch of light/undersized soft players to play 3-4 in what was a hard schedule . Dick didn't have to revamp a team the way Chan has had to. Again, Dicks team regressed the longer he coached.

We shall see soon enough and my guess is that even this D will turn out to be better than what Dick ever had.

As for the 1 point better, he outdid what dick did in 4 years.

I am also sure that Chans D will end up better than Dicks D with the browns.