Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    I understand.

And he is definitely not "da man".

I just don't see where that money would have gone other than to more crap.
    Whenever the question of Andy Levitre an Jarius Byrd come up, the opposite rationalization comes up... "they weren't worth it!"

two players who played well for Buffalo and produced throughout their rookie contracts were shown the door and not rewarded for their contributions to the organization.

again... that says something to EVERYONE in the organization.

This isn't madden franchise mode where you just plug in widgets with rating numbers to make our team better.

these are people we are talking about and the way the Bills are "managed" tells me that whoever is in charge, clearly, doesn't understand that concept.

the Mario signing and subsequent loss of these two players is the epitome of that.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
      • May 2024

Originally posted by coastal View Post
      Whenever the question of Andy Levitre an Jarius Byrd come up, the opposite rationalization comes up... "they weren't worth it!"

two players who played well for Buffalo and produced throughout their rookie contracts were shown the door and not rewarded for their contributions to the organization.

This isn't madden franchise mode where you just plug in widgets with rating numbers to make our team better.

these are people we are talking about and the way the Bills are "managed" tells me that whoever is in charge, clearly, doesn't understand that concept.

the Mario signing and subsequent loss of these two players is the epitome of that.
      With the Bills cap space room last year and this year, both of those players could have been easily signed despite Mario's contract.

The Bills incorrectly undervalued those two players.

That we we were operating with an internal salary cap under Ralph.

I hope things will be different under Pegula.

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
        This ain't the 1990s NFL anymore and IDGAF what Daryl Talley says or thinks about the state of the NFL. Of course he's gonna be angry, he missed out on all of these big money contracts.

The dude is a 3 time pro-bowler and a 3 time all-pro. Basically every other year he's making one of those two lists as he's played 7 full seasons. Bruce was a 5 time all-pro and 3 time pro-bowler in his first 7 full seasons.

Mario could go out and put up a 60 tackle and 20 sack season and you'd ***** that he didn't break Strahan's record.

Again, who else should the money have gone to?
        So now Daryl Talley is just a bitter, retired ex-Bill?

and when Mario puts up 60 and 20... let me know.

Comment

• Blondie
          Smarter than most men here :-)
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
          Did Fletch/coastal/Blondie revive this thread to have a conversation with himself? Impressive.

Mario is worth the contract and place on this team.
          Did you just throw a post in here for the sake of pretending you don't care??
          I was banned for calling Yardie a coward, by DB, in a tread about women’s issues happening right now in America. Nothing better than republican men silencing women’s voices, especially in the Buffalo Spin zone!!

Comment

• jimmifli
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
            The reason I have no problem with the Mario signing is because I don't believe the Bills would have spent that money any more wisely or at all.

The Bills still are $9M under the cap this year and that is after having a league leading $23,692,276 in dead money.

Buffalo Bills salary cap, contracts, bonus money, dead money, and cap savings for every player

Is Mario overpaid? Sure, but it is irrelevant.

By the way, to everyone other than old homer fools in Florida, Buddy Nix was an incompetent idiot.
            Agreed 100% We got a pretty good player for the price of a great one. And we could have added other good players but chose not to.

As for culture problems? The head of the franchise is a salesman that hires cheap coaches who hire inexperienced coordinators. The players know the Bills aren't doing everything to win. Bringing in one overpaid pretty good DE isn't killing the winning culture that's been established in Orchard Park.

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

Originally posted by streetkings01 View Post
              81 TACKLES
              23.5 SACKS
              7 PDEF
              3 FF

All of that in 2 seasons.........I have no problem with Mario Williams or his contract.
              He got paid much more than the three players that finished ahead of him in sacks last season.

He got paid much more than the 16 players that finished ahead of him in sacks in 2012.

He logged 13 sacks last season, the team had 57 for a franchise record sacks. The result, a 20th ranked scoring Defense and a 6-10 record, again.

So what's not sinking in for you in this discussion?

I mean if you want to continue to evaluate Mario's contributions in a vacuum, keep on going, you're doing a fine job.

This really isn't very complicated. Get Mario for $100M, or get a bunch of other players that can help us win more games for the same amount of money.
              http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
              (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
              Originally Posted by pmoon6
              The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                Peterman Sucks!
                • Mar 2006

Byrd should have been paid, point blank, period.

Levitre was fine to let go if the team would have kept Rinehart. Letting both go was beyond idiotic.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

So now Daryl Talley is just a bitter, retired ex-Bill?

and when Mario puts up 60 and 20... let me know.
                  Wouldn't you be bitter watching guys do the same job you did 25 years ago but getting paid 10 times for it? And Talley constantly mentions players of today and their behaviors.

And your argument against Mario isn't his onfield production, you think he's supposed to be a role model, a leader and vocal.

He's never gonna do any of those three things.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Fletch View Post

This really isn't very complicated. Get Mario for $100M, or get a bunch of other players that can help us win more games for the same amount of money.
                    The team is still under the cap and could sign a couple more midlevel players to win more games.

And who should they have brought in instead?

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                      • Jun 2005

Agree with everything MR.Pink has said. I really think he beat you for lunch money or something.

Comment

• jlgarsh
                        • Jan 2010

Mario makes the other 3 defensive lineman out there with him better. Kyle, Marcel, and Hughes all had career highs in sacks playing next to him. Most of the time, he gets double teamed, allowing the rest of them to make plays. The defense was not the reason we were 6-10 last year. We gave the ball away in our own territory on multiple occasions, and our D held firm most of the time. If the team can get average QB play this year, the D will carry them to the playoffs.

Comment

• pmoon6
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Dec 2002

What does a players' contract have to do with anything? If you want to go that route, how much is Peyton Manning being paid to choke in Super Bowls.

As far as Daryl Talley, very few that put on a Buffalo uniform had a bigger heart or worked harder. Perfect type of player for WNY. It's well documented that he made Bruce Smith better. It's not documented, but the DL seems to have elevated their game last year and Mario is a part of that.

I am like Talley. I chafe at the present state of the NFL. The Defense is severely hampered by the rule changes, written and unwritten. When the offensive line is allowed to clutch grab and pull to protect marquee QB's who they don't want to go down to injury, the NFL has become a psuedo Arena League. Then again, that's what douchebag fans want...records broken and lots of points. Too bad those records are meaningless because the game has changed to such a great extent.

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                            The team is still under the cap and could sign a couple more midlevel players to win more games.

And who should they have brought in instead?
                            You have to have a certain level of intelligence in order to be able to participate in a discussion as such.

Your points and take are so in a vacuum that it's ridiculous. Purely ridiculous.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by jlgarsh View Post
                              Mario makes the other 3 defensive lineman out there with him better. Kyle, Marcel, and Hughes all had career highs in sacks playing next to him. Most of the time, he gets double teamed, allowing the rest of them to make plays. The defense was not the reason we were 6-10 last year. We gave the ball away in our own territory on multiple occasions, and our D held firm most of the time. If the team can get average QB play this year, the D will carry them to the playoffs.
                              BS

Talk about trolling.

Kyle's been one of the best DTs in the game and that didn't just happen in 2012.

The rest of the stuff that you absurdly attribute to Mario had primarily to do with the system last season.

Also, presumably you've missed the discussions earlier in the offseason and preseason where I posted links to analyses that clearly painted the picture that Mario was the worst of our linemen, all of them, not just the starters, at setting the edge as they like to say.

Sounds like you need to do a little homework first before coming into a discussion like this.

That's the problem with forums like this, anything sounds intelligent, but most of it isn't. "Making the guys around him better" is an overused and gratuitously used cliche that's become meaningless. So is the part about sustaining double teams, which is also false by the way, thereby allowing other defenders to make plays.

It sounds great, just like on TV, but unfortunately you're wrong.

Mario's not worth $100M or anything close. Anyone insisting that he is doesn't understand football.
                              Last edited by Fletch; 08-26-2014, 05:38 AM.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Night Train
                                Retired - On Several Levels
                                • Jul 2005

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                                X