• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ginger Vitis
    • Feb 2009

Re: Jon Bon Jovi...More determined than Ever

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
    IIRC ,years ago the authorities in Montreal went after a player in Expo stadium that conked a bird with a batted ball...Oh Canada!
    In Montreal? Maybe..I remember Dave Winfield in 1983 in Toronto killing a seagull when he threw a baseball at the seagull at the end of the 5th inning warmup.. After the game Winfield was taken to the police station and charged with "Unnecessary suffering to a animal"

Comment

• stuckincincy
      Buffalo Bills Fan
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
      In Montreal? Maybe..I remember Dave Winfield in 1983 in Toronto killing a seagull when he threw a baseball at the seagull at the end of the 5th inning warmup.. After the game Winfield was taken to the police station and charged with "Unnecessary suffering to a animal"
      Ah - thanks. That was it...

Just for fun - the CLE Indians'10-cent beer night:

Last edited by stuckincincy; 04-12-2014, 12:06 PM.
      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• chris66
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
        The reason the Canadians won't buy the Bills is because an owner that wants to keep the team in Buffalo will.
        I'm sure there is one, but you're kidding yourself if you dont think the owners see Toronto as a viable market and its ultimately the owners who decide what owner is going to join their little club.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by chris66 View Post
          Why not. Russ didnt do the fans any favors by stating the bills were a regional team that included southern Ontario. In fact a strong case could be made that Toronto is the same market thus avoiding any relocation fees.
          Its no different than if the Pats wanted to move to Hartford or Providence.
          Toronto is the the 4th largest population and 5th largest tv market on the continent. It wouldn't be hard to get 24 owners to agree. It instantly raises the value of all the teams and generates more tv revenue
          Only problem with this is that it doesn't generate more tv revenue. It's an international market. There was something on this and the fact the nfl doesn't get additional revenue on Canadian games.

I agree that the regionalized team could make them easier to move up both but the cfl has clout in canada and they won't like splitting with an nfl team on a full time basis. Plus Toronto folks like coming for a cheaper game and the tailgate

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

I'm sure there is one, but you're kidding yourself if you dont think the owners see Toronto as a viable market and its ultimately the owners who decide what owner is going to join their little club.
            Well, first & foremost it is the owner of the team, Mary Wilson that decides who she wants to sell to, then 24 of 32 NFL owners have to approve the sale.

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Don't be so sure about that. The owners have a very real fear of being hit with an anti-trust violation. They have been living under the umbrella of baseball's anti-trust exemption for years, but they don't actually have one of their own.

Every time a franchise moves it pisses off a lot of people. I detest Chuck Schumer, but he's a very powerful man and he is rightly feared by people like Goodell.

Losing the only NFL team to play in NY State would not sit well with him or others who could make payback a real *****.

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

Why not. Russ didnt do the fans any favors by stating the bills were a regional team that included southern Ontario. In fact a strong case could be made that Toronto is the same market thus avoiding any relocation fees.
                Its no different than if the Pats wanted to move to Hartford or Providence.
                Toronto is the the 4th largest population and 5th largest tv market on the continent. It wouldn't be hard to get 24 owners to agree. It instantly raises the value of all the teams and generates more tv revenue
                The Pats moving a city over is the same as the Bills moving to another country? oooook. The same would be if Buffalo moved to Rochester, but were still called the Buffalo Bills. Most of us could stomach that. Toronto or anywhere else is out of the @$%@#%^ question.
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                  Funny. It's just floating names.

With the folks on that Bills search board, it looks like an outside buyer who could move the team would be only an emergency last ditch option. Plus they have 6 years to get it done the way they want it ( keeping them in WNY )

I take any of these reports with a grain of salt. It's a long process and it's leaning towards local ownership.
                  It's funny, because what I perceive as a "last ditch option" is trying to keep the team in a region that cannot possibly support it by modern day NFL standards which revolve entirely around corporate money, not individual fan ticket sales.

Even at individual fan ticket sales, we still can't sell out the stadium despite tremendously competitive ticket prices. Granted, winning would cure most if not all of that, but that's another story that creates a huge catch-22 for us.

Let's face it, Buffalo clearly does not have the corporate base to fund the luxury suites nor the fan base to fund PSLs. We're a blue collar town/team.

Frankly I prefer it that way and think that the modern day corporately funded base has ruined what used to be a good thing, but that doesn't matter, what matters is how things actually work. We have some of the best individual blue collar fans in the NFL, if not the best, but what's missing Buffalo simply does not have in a state that's so broke that it makes a recent bankruptcy declarer look loaded.
                  http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                  (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                  Originally Posted by pmoon6
                  The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                  ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

Well, first & foremost it is the owner of the team, Mary Wilson that decides who she wants to sell to, then 24 of 32 NFL owners have to approve the sale.
                    There will probably be sealed bids. There is a strong possibility the new owner will be the highest bidder, if not the IRS can say the team was not sold for fair market value.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                      There will probably be sealed bids. There is a strong possibility the new owner will be the highest bidder, if not the IRS can say the team was not sold for fair market value.
                      What does fair market value have to do with anything?

You can sell your property for whatever you want, to whoever you want.

And Bids are not sealed to the person that is doing the selling, that is just STUPID.

Comment

• chris66
                        • Sep 2006

He meant that the only one who will know what the bids are is the seller. The ones doing the bidding won't know what the other bids are. Hence being sealed

Comment

• Bill Cody
                          • Sep 2004

What does fair market value have to do with anything?

You can sell your property for whatever you want, to whoever you want.

And Bids are not sealed to the person that is doing the selling, that is just STUPID.
                          It has to do with estate and gift taxes. Mary Wilson could decide to sell the team for 100m but the IRS is not going to accept that. They would consider that a below market value sale and the 700m below to be a gift subject to gift taxes to Mary. The point of the sealed bids is to show that this is an arms length for market value sales process. Careful what you're calling stupid.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
                            Well Ralph has passed since his last attempt. I guess you could say that he's halfway there..whooaaa?
                            Well he did say he'd buy it from him Dead or Alive

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

He meant that the only one who will know what the bids are is the seller. The ones doing the bidding won't know what the other bids are. Hence being sealed
                              If I was the seller, I would want everyone to know what the bids are.

But that is neither here nor there.

It is up to Mary Wilson to decide if she wants to sell the team for less money to someone that will keep the Bills in Buffalo or to someone that will move the team.

She also has the right to tell local bidders, this is what I have been offered by the Toronto group, can you match it?

Terms of the sale are also important. I could offer $2 Billion for the Bills & will make payments of $100.00/year until paid off.

Comment

• better days
                                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                                It has to do with estate and gift taxes. Mary Wilson could decide to sell the team for 100m but the IRS is not going to accept that. They would consider that a below market value sale and the 700m below to be a gift subject to gift taxes to Mary. The point of the sealed bids is to show that this is an arms length for market value sales process. Careful what you're calling stupid.
                                Do you work for the IRS?

Comment

Working...
                                X