X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

Bills plan a faster pace on offense

The Bills ran a fast-paced offense last year under first-year coordinator Nathaniel Hackett and first-year quarterback EJ Manuel.

The comments there say it all.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

• SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: Bills plan a faster pace on offense

I wish they would just worry about pounding the rock on the ground.

EJ is dead if we don't have a great run game this year.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

You mean like running a no-huddle all pre-season then scrapping it the week before the season starts?
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• GingerP
        • Aug 2012

The Bills: "Selling gimmicks since 1999!".

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
          The Bills: "Selling gimmicks since 1999!".
          I guess last seasons' differential in TOP wasn't good enough for them, so try to increase it...
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            You mean like running a no-huddle all pre-season then scrapping it the week before the season starts?
            We didn't scrap it before week 1 as I remember we ran it quite unsuccessfully early on in the season as remember someone posting how we had the 2nd most plays behind on the Eagles at one point. Personally I hate the idea. To me if we're going to win we need long eat up the clock drives and strong defense to win. As to me the best part of EJ's game last year is driving this team down the field 75 plus yards for TDs. Granted he didn't do it every time but all the reason for us not to run a quick pace offense as leaves our opponents more time to score more against us and weaken our D because their winded etc.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
              We didn't scrap it before week 1 as I remember we ran it quite unsuccessfully early on in the season as remember someone posting how we had the 2nd most plays behind on the Eagles at one point. Personally I hate the idea. To me if we're going to win we need long eat up the clock drives and strong defense to win. As to me the best part of EJ's game last year is driving this team down the field 75 plus yards for TDs. Granted he didn't do it every time but all the reason for us not to run a quick pace offense as leaves our opponents more time to score more against us and weaken our D because their winded etc.
              A fast paced offense only works if you have a team that can consistently put up 30, like the late 80's/early 90's 49ers, early 90's Bills, late 90's Rams, Patriots and Colts of the 2000's, etc. When teams score that consistently, TOP becomes less and less important because most opposing offenses can't keep pace. It also helps if the team has a good D line, because they can rope the other team into a passing battle, then pin their ears back and go after their QB.

I agree with you- the current incarnation of the Bills hasn't proven that they're that good. Maybe they will be with all the potential at WR, but it largely comes down to Manuel. We're also stacked at the RB position, which makes a possession game easier. I'm just not sure putting a young qb into a fast-paced offense is the right way to go.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

I'm just not sure putting a young qb into a fast-paced offense is the right way to go.
                I've railed about that repeatedly. You need to let him get educated about all the tricks and shifts the opposing defense does. You don't want him to resort to flinging desperate (inaccurate) sideline heaves when pressure mounts.

Worse, they touted it - telegraphed it to the rest of the league last season...here's what we are going to do. Add in the premature announcing of who is going to start, the draft signals they put up - can't they just keep their mouths shut for once?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                  My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                  • Apr 2004

Actually, at one point in the season, the bills' offense was FASTER than the Eagles'.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                    I heard on WGR the Bills were behind only Denver & New England for the number of plays ran per game.

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

We're also stacked at the RB position, which makes a possession game easier.
                      That's a misperception. Fred Jackson's got one foot out the door. Bryce Brown is nothing but a slim hope for much beyond backup duty. Spiller's proven that he's not a 3-down RB.

If FJ struggles this season as he likely will, and sees increasing injuries, as he likely will, we'll be without him next year. Unless Brown does sometrhing, and he never has, then we're down to Spiller, who may not even be here next season either.
                      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                      Originally Posted by pmoon6
                      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                        That's a misperception. Fred Jackson's got one foot out the door. Bryce Brown is nothing but a slim hope for much beyond backup duty. Spiller's proven that he's not a 3-down RB.

If FJ struggles this season as he likely will, and sees increasing injuries, as he likely will, we'll be without him next year. Unless Brown does sometrhing, and he never has, then we're down to Spiller, who may not even be here next season either.
                        I'll keep an open mind on Bryce Brown. From what I've read a while back, he was buried on the PHI roster...it was a trade - rare these days, and BUF mgmt gets my trust here.

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

So that was the problem with our offense last year!!! We just weren't fast enough! I have no faith in Hackett.

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

i think if you are saying your defense is your best asset, why would you speed up your offense to keep putting the defense out there. if it's unsuccessful you are pissing away good starts by the d by tiring them out. i would honestly think you want the team to be as slow and methodic as possible. given that the OL is one of the biggest, it's even more reason to slow it down and ground their d down. if it doesn't work, you've given your d a little more than 30 seconds of rest.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Deja vu. Is Mularkey still our coach?

Comment

Working...
                              X