How Good Will The Bills Defense Be This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

How Good Will The Bills Defense Be This Year?

Very excited about this year's D.

This could be the best defense the Bills have had in a long time.

Stopping the run was a problem last year, but I don't think it's going to be a problem in 2014.

Did anyone else notice how big the Bills linebackers looked on Sunday?

Brandon Spikes, Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham are some big dudes.

6'2 255 lbs, 6'1 250 lbs and 6'2 241 lbs respectively.

Bill Belichick is pissed!

Looks like the linebackers have some good depth too, even with Kiko out for the season.

Remember how the Bills defense had a tendency to give up big plays on third and long last year?

If they can eliminate those big plays on third down, and stop the run...

Top 10 defense?
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: How Good Will The Bills Defense Be This Year?

All depends on health. I think that goes without saying, but this team has(d) it's holes all filled for the year on defense. An unquestionably elite D-line, 2 of your 3 linebackers being top-tier players, Gilmore and McLovin' on the outside, Robey in the slot when necessary, and Williams and Searcy in the back with Meeks/Duke ready to step in if needed. Losing Kiko is huge, but having decent depth behind makes it at least OK for now. One more LB goes down and it's a bit... eh...

I'd say top 10.
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• gebobs
      One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
      • Sep 2003

Middle of the road. 10th to 20th. I'll bet anyone two bits they don't finish higher. 200 bits even.

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
      I'd say top 10.
      You're on. What's your mark?
      Last edited by gebobs; 08-05-2014, 11:40 PM.
      Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
        Very excited about this year's D.

This could be the best defense the Bills have had in a long time.

Stopping the run was a problem last year, but I don't think it's going to be a problem in 2014.

Did anyone else notice how big the Bills linebackers looked on Sunday?

Brandon Spikes, Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham are some big dudes.

6'2 255 lbs, 6'1 250 lbs and 6'2 241 lbs respectively.

Bill Belichick is pissed!

Looks like the linebackers have some good depth too, even with Kiko out for the season.

Remember how the Bills defense had a tendency to give up big plays on third and long last year?

If they can eliminate those big plays on third down, and stop the run...

Top 10 defense?
        I noticed Preston Brown getting run over on just about every play. Didn't pay a whole lot more specific attention to the LBs.

I can't disagree more. Let's bookmark this thread and come back to it in the fall.

First of all we play better passing offenses than we did last season, so I'll factor that in. Much and many better RBs too. I expect both NE and the Jets' offenses to be better too.

Last season we were ranked 20th in PA, I expect that to get worse.

Last season we were ranked 28th in rushing yards allowed, I expect that to stay about the same.

Last season we were ranked 10th in passing yards allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 3rd in passer rating against us, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 7th in YPA allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 1st in completion % allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 2nd in sacks and INTs, I expect both of those to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 10th in total yards allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Our schedule last season was relatively weak in terms of the offenses that we played. Everyone had better factor that in when making predictions on this D. We'll be close to what the D was in 2012 this season than what it was last season.

The offense should improve slightly, should, but it won't be enough to offset the regression in the D.

I don't know why the high expectations, our back-7 is ridiculously weak in the passing department. No LBs capable of providing above average play against the pass, unproven play at one safety spot, I think we'll see a statistical regression in Aaron Williams that everyone will insist is because he's playing worse but will really be attributable to circumstances. McKelvin's not good as a CB and Gilmore while good, isn't great, and didn't improve as he should have last season.

So I'll disagree completely with your statement that this could be the best defense that we've had in a long time. I think that it won't be much better than our 2012 defense which ranked 22nd in yards and 26th in PA. People will attribute it to Schwartz, but the reality is that we just had an easy schedule of offensive teams last season.

Non-divisional scoring offenses faced last season: 6T, 6T, 10, 16, 18, 20, 25, 27, 30, 32 (Avg. 19th)

Last season's Non-divisional scoring offenses faced this season: 1, 2, 6, 8, 12, 13, 14, 24, 27, 31 (Avg. 14th)

New England's offense should be much better and so should the Jets'.
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Topas
          German smartass
          • Feb 2014

I'd say 7-12th in DVOA of football outsiders. NFL rankings are useless. A 11 yard gain on 3rd and 12 is good for the defense. And DVOA accounts for that. NFL rankings say the defense gave up 11 yards.

> Bill Belichick is pissed!
          I dont think so. After 2 series that is laughable. I think we have to temper our love for the D and also our hate for EJ. Its only two series. Lets see. But at least the D lookos encouraging, I agree on that.

By the way. Buf defense was fourth in DVOA last year. You can actually debate that ranking considering the huge chunk of running yards. But I think some of these numbers are due to the fact, that the offense could not stay on the field and the opposing O got lots of drives. I really think we will miss Pettine. Hopefully I am wrong.

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Topas View Post
            I think we have to temper our love for the D and also our hate for EJ. Its only two series.
            EJ's been the same for five seasons. The chances of him changing this season, not to mention that there's not even a shred of evidence suggesting that he will yet this preseason/camp, aren't good.

I really think we will miss Pettine. Hopefully I am wrong.
            Pettine was overrated here because he had the benefit of an easy slate of offensive teams. The Pats last season were the weakest they've been under Brady since over a decade ago when Brady was first starting out. He's going to do a lot more with those same receivers this season.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Topas
              German smartass
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
              Pettine was overrated here because he had the benefit of an easy slate of offensive teams. The Pats last season were the weakest they've been under Brady since over a decade ago when Brady was first starting out. He's going to do a lot more with those same receivers this season.
              I disagree. Let's see. As said I believe in DVOA, the ranking by footballoutsiders. It is not perfect, but way better what the NFL provides us with. It adjusts (among others) for strength of schedule. And it has the Bills D jumping from 27th in 2012 to 4th in 2013. So let's see if Pettine was overrated. I am happy to discuss this again at the end of the season. As said, I hope I am wrong.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

We all want a winner.

Keep in mind too that DVOA, or any statistics, are all precipitated by the games played. If those games are easier than average it will reflect, even in DVOA.

For example, if a team played only the 13 worst teams in the league in a given season, DVOA's would be good, but it would be a reflection of an easy schedule. That's where DVOA data and other PFF and FO data falls short.
                Last edited by Fletch; 08-06-2014, 04:32 AM.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Topas
                  German smartass
                  • Feb 2014

Keep in mind too that DVOA, or any statistics, are all precipitated by the games played. If those games are easier than average it will reflect, even in DVOA.
                  Actually no. DVOA adjusts for strength of schedule. So if they play a very bad O they actually get penalized for their performance. If they play a very good O they get a boost in their rating. And it even differs between good Run-O and good pass-O. On a per play basis.
                  So actually that is one of the big benefits of DVOA.
                  Last edited by Topas; 08-06-2014, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

I noticed Preston Brown getting run over on just about every play. Didn't pay a whole lot more specific attention to the LBs.

I can't disagree more. Let's bookmark this thread and come back to it in the fall.

First of all we play better passing offenses than we did last season, so I'll factor that in. Much and many better RBs too. I expect both NE and the Jets' offenses to be better too.

Last season we were ranked 20th in PA, I expect that to get worse.

Last season we were ranked 28th in rushing yards allowed, I expect that to stay about the same.

Last season we were ranked 10th in passing yards allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 3rd in passer rating against us, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 7th in YPA allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 1st in completion % allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 2nd in sacks and INTs, I expect both of those to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 10th in total yards allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Our schedule last season was relatively weak in terms of the offenses that we played. Everyone had better factor that in when making predictions on this D. We'll be close to what the D was in 2012 this season than what it was last season.

The offense should improve slightly, should, but it won't be enough to offset the regression in the D.

I don't know why the high expectations, our back-7 is ridiculously weak in the passing department. No LBs capable of providing above average play against the pass, unproven play at one safety spot, I think we'll see a statistical regression in Aaron Williams that everyone will insist is because he's playing worse but will really be attributable to circumstances. McKelvin's not good as a CB and Gilmore while good, isn't great, and didn't improve as he should have last season.

So I'll disagree completely with your statement that this could be the best defense that we've had in a long time. I think that it won't be much better than our 2012 defense which ranked 22nd in yards and 26th in PA. People will attribute it to Schwartz, but the reality is that we just had an easy schedule of offensive teams last season.

Non-divisional scoring offenses faced last season: 6T, 6T, 10, 16, 18, 20, 25, 27, 30, 32 (Avg. 19th)

Last season's Non-divisional scoring offenses faced this season: 1, 2, 6, 8, 12, 13, 14, 24, 27, 31 (Avg. 14th)

New England's offense should be much better and so should the Jets'.
                    Yes, let's bookmark this thread. I can't wait to throw it back in your face.

I would agree, some stats such as sacks will be down, but I expect the run defense to be MUCH IMPROVED.

I expect the defense to not spend as much time on the field because of good offensive play & also the ability of the defense to stop other teams from controlling the ball.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

I think this team will be better at run defense and significantly worse on pass defense. Maybe if the DLine plays like men possessed then we can compensate for the lack of Byrd and Alonso, but I doubt it.

Well, that, and we play Manning, Brady, and Rodgers in the span of a month. If you still have Buffalo's D on your fantasy team at Thanksgiving, you're boned.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                        I think this team will be better at run defense and significantly worse on pass defense. Maybe if the DLine plays like men possessed then we can compensate for the lack of Byrd and Alonso, but I doubt it.

Well, that, and we play Manning, Brady, and Rodgers in the span of a month. If you still have Buffalo's D on your fantasy team at Thanksgiving, you're boned.
                        Well, that assumes Manning, Brady & Rodgers are all still healthy at that point.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          Well, that assumes Manning, Brady & Rodgers are all still healthy at that point.
                          Well it also assumes Kyle, Mario, Spikes, etc are healthy too. Basically everybody is hanging their higher expectations for this season on Brandon Spikes, if he goes down then our D is screwed.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            Well it also assumes Kyle, Mario, Spikes, etc are healthy too. Basically everybody is hanging their higher expectations for this season on Brandon Spikes, if he goes down then our D is screwed.
                            Agreed, but even if the Bills defense loses one of those players, the Bills defense will be better than the offense of any of those teams if the QB gets injured.

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

Actually no. DVOA adjusts for strength of schedule. So if they play a very bad O they actually get penalized for their performance. If they play a very good O they get a boost in their rating. And it even differs between good Run-O and good pass-O. On a per play basis.
                              So actually that is one of the big benefits of DVOA.
                              That's not really correct. What it does is performs a sort of or variation of a weighted average, for lack of a mores specific statistical term that's appropos here, based on circumstances. Very superfically, such as running play vs. pass play. More detailed of course, but that kind of circumstantial thing. At least that's my understanding. Also, keep in mind that this is FO's MO, that does not make that method indisputable. It's kind of like QB rating.

Either way, and not to get hung up on the nuances of DVOAs, I'll defer to you and insist that even using DVOAs the defense will be worse as I described it.

We'll see. I just don't see us playing equally, much less better, against teams the likes of which we played poorly last season. We just play more of them now.

Remember, it's a passing league and we were just stripped of our two biggest players against the pass in the back-7, Alonso by injury and Byrd by free agency.

Post #46

------

Comment

Working...
                              X