X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

I Like The Idea of Having CJ Spiller Returning Kicks

CJ Spiller is an explosive runner, especially when he gets a head of steam with a running start.

Many have criticized the Bills coaching staff for putting Spiller in such a position, mostly due to injury concerns.

When is the last time you saw a return man for the Buffalo Bill's get injured on a kickoff return?

I can't recall. Was Terrence McGee ever injured on a kickoff return?

OJ Simpson blew out his knee returning a kickoff, but that was a very long time ago.

When is the last time you saw an NFL kickoff return man get completely annihilated and injured returning a kick?

Spiller's kickoff return against Pittsburgh was the kind of play that can be the difference between a win or a loss.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: I Like The Idea of Having CJ Spiller Returning Kicks

Might as well, although he doesn't have that extra gear that really good returners do.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      Might as well, although he doesn't have that extra gear that really good returners do.
      Whutf? Are you high?

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Lets ask JBJ, the all wise business master about this. JK

Seriously, Spiller is a rocket so what are you saying?

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

I thought TJ Graham looked pretty good returning punts as well, maybe that is how he makes the team.

Comment

• Crisis
            • Aug 2004

His contract must be up soon because YardRat is already finding a nonsensical way to put him down. There's plenty of things to criticize him on, his speed is not one.

The guys runs a 4.27.... yeah, no extra gear there!
            Last edited by Crisis; 08-20-2014, 12:06 AM.
            Originally posted by LOSman WINS
            Vanek is Austrian not European
            Originally posted by Prov401
            Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
            Originally posted by better days
            I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• GingerP
              • Aug 2012

He had that gear in college. He had 7 kick return TDs at Clemson on 74 kicks (4 his final year). That means he took about 1 out of 10 back for a score.

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

I think what Marrone is saying, is that nobody on this team is safe.

Everyone is going to have to take on additional responsibilities.

Comment

• GreedoII
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                  CJ Spiller is an explosive runner, especially when he gets a head of steam with a running start.

Many have criticized the Bills coaching staff for putting Spiller in such a position, mostly due to injury concerns.

When is the last time you saw a return man for the Buffalo Bill's get injured on a kickoff return?

I can't recall. Was Terrence McGee ever injured on a kickoff return?

OJ Simpson blew out his knee returning a kickoff, but that was a very long time ago.

When is the last time you saw an NFL kickoff return man get completely annihilated and injured returning a kick?

Spiller's kickoff return against Pittsburgh was the kind of play that can be the difference between a win or a loss.

I like it too but not in preseason

Comment

• Homegrown
                    Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                    • Jul 2008

C J returning kickoffs is fitting....The player the Bill's coaches 'shun' gets to touch the ball on the play the league is intend on eliminating.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                      Pinkerton's son
                      • Feb 2006

Whutf? Are you high?
                      You must be high - lets take a guy who a lot of people on this board say is too frail to carry a full workload, and put him back returning kicks where people can take full speed shots at him!

I'm fine with it in certain spots, but certainly not all the time - he's too valuable. We have plenty of other guys who are good at returning kicks.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

I think it's stupid. There are plenty of guys on the roster that can do it. Why put one of your most valued assets in an unnecessary position?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post

I'm fine with it in certain spots, but certainly not all the time - he's too valuable. We have plenty of other guys who are good at returning kicks.
                          Like others mentioned, that return he did was just a possible showcase - to see if somebody would call up and offer a 1st. Not likely, and not advisable IMO...if he gets traded, they would have to find another rb to give'em 200+ decent carries. Good luck with that.
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Thief
                            • Sep 2009

Spiller doesn't have that extra gear.... because he is always in that gear.

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

I Like The Idea of Having CJ Spiller Returning Kicks

Did you bother to look at his history returning kicks in the NFL? Sure doesn't seem so.

50 KRs and a very average, worse than our other returners, 23.1 ypr. Only 1 TD on those 50. Hardly worth putting him on KRs.

His PRs were better, 12.1 although no TDs, but most of that was from his rookie season. He had a slightly above average 9.8 in 2011.

Spiller's skills at Clemson, largely based on speed and Reggie Bush like moves, have simply not translated to the NFL. Neither did Bush's.
                              http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                              (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                              Originally Posted by pmoon6
                              The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

Working...
                              X