X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

EJ Manual and him getting better

Look we do not know if EJ is going to be good or bad come 7 September.

The point of this thread is to explain what I think Buffalo is going to do with him and what I am hoping with happen.

Buffalo is looking at EJ as a Joe Flacco kind of experience, they want to surround him with a great OL, Def, WR, and RBs. They do not want to make EJ to win the games like the Pats or Broncos do with their QBs. What they want to see is EJ get better and better every year and hope that they have a problem signing him. At that point they will resign him and have to let guys walk.
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: EJ Manual and him getting better

All signs so far, if preseason is an indication, that EJ might struggle on September 7th and throughout the season. I, for one, hope that he gets it, and we see a lot of different i.e. GOOD things from him, such as throwing the ball downfield/not taking sacks.

As to the rest of your post... What?
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• DesertFox24
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
      All signs so far, if preseason is an indication, that EJ might struggle on September 7th and throughout the season. I, for one, hope that he gets it, and we see a lot of different i.e. GOOD things from him, such as throwing the ball downfield/not taking sacks.

As to the rest of your post... What?
      I was rushed

Summary:

The bills know EJ manual is no luck or Peyton as a result they need a great team around him and hope he develops into a good QB over the course of 5 years. Meanwhile because the team is talented they will still win games in be in the postseason. At that point once EJ is up for a new contract hopefully he has developed and become a good enough QB he does not need all that talent around him to win.

He will never be Tom Brady and have scrubs and make them look like pro bowlers but hopefully we can one or two legit receiving options, LT, RT locked up, a good RB and the offense will still click with plug and play parts and young players on first contracts.

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
        I was rushed

Summary:

The bills know EJ manual is no luck or Peyton as a result they need a great team around him and hope he develops into a good QB over the course of 5 years. Meanwhile because the team is talented they will still win games in be in the postseason. At that point once EJ is up for a new contract hopefully he has developed and become a good enough QB he does not need all that talent around him to win.

He will never be Tom Brady and have scrubs and make them look like pro bowlers but hopefully we can one or two legit receiving options, LT, RT locked up, a good RB and the offense will still click with plug and play parts and young players on first contracts.
        Ineresting. Assuming he can become Flacco, do you ever sign him to a big money deal or just go out and get someone to replace him when his rookie contract expires?

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
          Look we do not know if EJ is going to be good or bad come 7 September.
          We have a pretty good idea that he's going to suck all season long and struggle to improve if he does at all, just as happened at FSU. To think anything else at this point is baseless speculation.

The more important thing is going to be how much of the organization, at least the personnel part, Pegula cans before he hires a new GM. Hopefully it's the entire personnel section and hopefully they don't hire anyone with any ties to anything in NYS or Pittsburgh.
          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
          Originally Posted by pmoon6
          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
            • Nov 2007

well, the problem with the Flacco comparison is that Flacco actually throws the ball deep and can connect.
            I came.
            I saw.
            I conquered.

Comment

• don137
              • Jul 2002

I was not a fan of Fitzpatrick at all but I truly wonder if the Bills have regressed at the QB position with Manuel.

I know its preseason and maybe he will open it up during the regular season a little more however, he is very inaccurate and I just don't see all of sudden it clicking with him on September 7th.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                • Apr 2003

evryone needs to calm down we arent running our full offense or anytrhing more then what marrone wants to show. i think ej will be fine

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                  evryone needs to calm down we arent running our full offense or anytrhing more then what marrone wants to show. i think ej will be fine
                  If they're having issues running the vanilla basic plays, what the hell do you expect them to do when everyone could have multiple assignments?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                    You thought JP Losman was awesome too.

Your opinion on QBs is meaningless.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                      well, the problem with the Flacco comparison is that Flacco actually throws the ball deep and can connect.
                      And won a Super Bowl.

Comment

• kishoph
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                        It's true Flacco does throw the ball down field more than Manuel, but saying he connects more is misleading.

Last season in passes 11- 20 yds. Flacco had 128 att. and connected on 55 for 43.0 % comp. Manuel was 25 of 54 for 46.3% comp. Let's not forget Flacco played in 6+ games more.
                        As far as the "deep ball", in passes 21-30 yds. Flacco attempted 51 and connected 8 for a 15.7% comp. Manuel attempted 19 and connected on 6 for a 31.6% comp. That's 2 less passes completed than Flacco in 32 less attempts, in the range. Passes thrown between 31 and 40 yds. Flacco had 11 attempts and connected on 3 of them for 27.3% Manuel attempted 9 and completed 2 for 22..2% One less completion than Flacco, also in that range EJ had 1 TD while Flacco threw 2 ints. 0 TD's. Passes over 41 yds. Flacco attempted 16 and connected on 4 for 25% comp. Manuel attempted 5 and connected on 1 for a TD and threw 1 int, while Flacco threw 1 TD with no ints. in that range.

So it turns out that Flacco completed 4 more passes thrown over 31 yds. than Manuel, in 6+ more games, so I guess your post is correct, even though I'm sure you were trying to imply something other than Flacco connected 4 more deep passes than Manuel. Also it turns out that in passes thrown between 11 and 30 yds. Manuel is more accurate.
                        Just for kicks, last season Flacco's y/a was 6.37, while Manuel's was 6.44.. I'll be truthful though Flacco does have a higher y/a than Manuel this preseason. This is not my opinion, these are facts.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                          It's true Flacco does throw the ball down field more than Manuel, but saying he connects more is misleading.

Last season in passes 11- 20 yds. Flacco had 128 att. and connected on 55 for 43.0 % comp. Manuel was 25 of 54 for 46.3% comp. Let's not forget Flacco played in 6+ games more.
                          As far as the "deep ball", in passes 21-30 yds. Flacco attempted 51 and connected 8 for a 15.7% comp. Manuel attempted 19 and connected on 6 for a 31.6% comp. That's 2 less passes completed than Flacco in 32 less attempts, in the range. Passes thrown between 31 and 40 yds. Flacco had 11 attempts and connected on 3 of them for 27.3% Manuel attempted 9 and completed 2 for 22..2% One less completion than Flacco, also in that range EJ had 1 TD while Flacco threw 2 ints. 0 TD's. Passes over 41 yds. Flacco attempted 16 and connected on 4 for 25% comp. Manuel attempted 5 and connected on 1 for a TD and threw 1 int, while Flacco threw 1 TD with no ints. in that range.

So it turns out that Flacco completed 4 more passes thrown over 31 yds. than Manuel, in 6+ more games, so I guess your post is correct, even though I'm sure you were trying to imply something other than Flacco connected 4 more deep passes than Manuel. Also it turns out that in passes thrown between 11 and 30 yds. Manuel is more accurate.
                          Just for kicks, last season Flacco's y/a was 6.37, while Manuel's was 6.44.. I'll be truthful though Flacco does have a higher y/a than Manuel this preseason. This is not my opinion, these are facts.
                          point taken. however, i still feel that the fact that he is willing to throw down the field MORE softens up the opposing defenses more because defenses have to respect the higher possibility of him throwing the long ball.

granted, this is not a fact, just my opinion
                          I came.
                          I saw.
                          I conquered.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                            We have a pretty good idea that he's going to suck all season long
                            I have a pretty good idea your posts are going to suck all season long.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by don137 View Post
                              I was not a fan of Fitzpatrick at all but I truly wonder if the Bills have regressed at the QB position with Manuel.

I know its preseason and maybe he will open it up during the regular season a little more however, he is very inaccurate and I just don't see all of sudden it clicking with him on September 7th.
                              It's not a shocker. Fitz was a limited player but he was a vet with a lot of smarts. Manuel is still very raw. The best hope is he improves gradually as the year goes on which is possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X