Did The Light Go On For EJ Manuel In The 3rd Quarter Against The Bucs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Did The Light Go On For EJ Manuel In The 3rd Quarter Against The Bucs?

Nobody's talking about this...but I saw a spark in EJ Manuel at the start of the second half.

He was on fire, hitting all of his passes but by that time most of us were at least half in the bag.

Everyone is so focused on the first half as if the second half didn't count because, "they were playing against backups."

Many 2nd stringers become starters over the course of a season.

Hypothetical scenario:

EJ Manuel and the starting offense come out on their first 2 drives of the game and score 2 TD's after Hackett opens up the playbook and shows exactly how they're going to beat Chicago on tape.

After thunderous screams and cheering at halftime, EJ Manuel and the starting offense come out in the third quarter and totally suck.

Flip flop the 1st and 2nd halves.

Which would you rather have?

A great start and a crappy finish, or a crappy start and a great finish?

Wax on, wax off.

"Patience, Daniel son!"
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: Did The Light Go On For EJ Manuel In The 3rd Quarter Against The Bucs?

I think you're over-thinking it but I did see EJ attempt throws in the 2nd half that I didn't see in the past. He needs to trust his receivers.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

Hello EJs Dad.

Comment

• DynaPaul
        • Sep 2003

Sounds like a made for TV movie.

Comment

• kishoph
          • Jun 2003

Maybe it had something to do with better play calling, the line giving protection and receivers getting open. John Murphy said that Mark Kelso told him that after watching tape that the receivers were not getting open earlier in the game. But none of that could be true, because it makes more sense that EJ, "who can't hit the broad side of a barn", all of a sudden is able to connect on 10 of 10 because there's different players in the game.

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
            I think you're over-thinking it but I did see EJ attempt throws in the 2nd half that I didn't see in the past. He needs to trust his receivers.
            He needs to trust himself. He isn't playing like a guy with confidence.
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Bills Juggernaut
              • Aug 2006

Honestly, I'm thinking the coaches chewed him out during halftime. That's what I would have done seeing how timid he played in the first half. The season is on the brink and the coaches know it. If EJ doesn't start throwing the ball down the field, the season and probably their jobs are in the ****ter.
              The One and Only

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

Come on, stop this speculation, it was all because he was playing the B team. That's it. He looked good against backups because... they are backups! End of story.

Comment

• elltrain22
                  • Sep 2003

My optimistic side wants to believe his great play was in fact due to the coaching staff opening up the playbook more, which gave him more options to look downfield. Realistically, that probably didn't happen. What might have happened though, was EJ maybe had a very good learning experience both good and bad, which will lead to more success in the regular season.
                  If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

The Bills coaches IMO are going about this all wrong.

EJ is a young QB who should be let loose completely. Let him throw the ball downfield and into tight windows. Let him throw interceptions without the consequences of getting crapped on for it. He will throw a lot of good passes and a lot of bad ones but will learn that way.

That is how Peyton Manning learned, just let EJ throw it all over the field and live with the consequences. They didnt do that last year and they aren't doing it now in preseason which will ensure EJ doesn't have the playmaking ability in him to make big throws.

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
                      Come on, stop this speculation, it was all because he was playing the B team. That's it. He looked good against backups because... they are backups! End of story.
                      LOL

Took 8 posts for someone to point out the obvious.
                      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                      Originally Posted by pmoon6
                      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• kishoph
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                        LOL

Took 8 posts for someone to point out the obvious.
                        No it took 8 post for you to find someone that agrees with your opinion, big difference.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                          No it took 8 post for you to find someone that agrees with your opinion, big difference.
                          We're not the only ones who feel that way.

Comment

• Turf
                            • Jul 2002

EJ for me still floats the ball to much, he needs more zip on his passes. And in his defense, for years including still currently, the Bills receivers just seem to run straight patterns right into the defenders and never get open.
                            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                              • Feb 2006

He has terrible feet. Every throw is all arm. It is killing his accuracy. Fix it. Get a kinetic chain expert or something to help him. It is painful to watch EJ stand flat footed or falling backwards and using nothing but his arm to throw. Literally no zip on any of his mid range throws. I mean this is basic stuff. Figure it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X