The realist point of view.........Bills really could be Good or Bad this year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

The realist point of view.........Bills really could be Good or Bad this year.

Yes it's been forever since I posted a thread. Been a little busy but all good!

The truth is that nobody really knows what's going to happen this year. Everyone keeps talking about how great our D is but they didn't look so hot last weekend. Everyone is complaining about the offense but we have very limited packages in the pre-season (for good reason) so who really knows what it will look like. Here's the facts as I see them:

1) Manuel has not looked great on his throws. What people don't seem to know is that he has spent most of his time shortening his throwing motion. It's not uncommon for second year QBs to actually get worse, not better. Hopefully his shorter take back will start to get comfortable and with a real offense and running game he'll be ok.

2) The O-line is actually pretty exciting and has depth. There will be mistakes but it's a huge line and I think will continue to get better.

3) Watkins and Williams should be terrific at saving Manuel this season. So maybe point one will be irrelevant.

4) If we keep all four we might have the most depth at RB in the league.

5) Chandler is still cathcing balls so another option for Manuel.

6) Our secondary looks a little more vulnerable than I originally thought.

7) Landon Cohen had a great pre-season. So what? It's a great feel good story but if he makes the team I'm not feeling like he'll have that big an impact.

8) The D should be decent, I'm not so sure about great.

This team is going to be about momentum and some luck. If they get blown out week 1 it's going to be very hard for a young team. If they win early and gain confidence there is a ton of talent on this team to carry them through to the ________. I dare not say it because even I'm too big a realist to go there.

Bottom line is that our season starts a week from Sunday. This team has alot of talent and certainly many question marks. Nobody, including me, can honestly say how good or bad this team will be.

I think the booing can start after week 1, not before.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: The realist point of view.........Bills really could be Good or Bad this year.

So in summary - the Bills could be good, or bad, or OK..

Comment

• Mike
      • Jan 2009

Re: The realist point of view.........Bills really could be Good or Bad this year.

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
      So in summary - the Bills could be good, or bad, or OK..
      Yes, they will be some in between 0 and 16 wins.
      Please Make Sense

Comment

• casdhf
        • Jul 2002

This season will boil down to the run game: if we succeed and take the pressure off EJ, he will be fine. If we do not, Cleveland has two top-5 picks next year.
        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

We know nothing until the season is over. We can speculate all we want, but the bottom line is, with everything we've seen, does it look good? Not really, but can it get better? We don't know.

Until then, we can meticulously tear apart our starting QB and whine about a new owner/impending move to our hearts content!
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• bleve
            • Mar 2005

I believe there's significant talent on this team. I was so depressed after the Bucs game, I just have this feeling it's going to be a long, frustrating season.

There's a lot of pressure on a young, what should have been 4th round draft pick. I don't see it ending well.
            "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
            ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
              This season will boil down to the run game: if we succeed and take the pressure off EJ, he will be fine. If we do not, Cleveland has two top-5 picks next year.
              That's pretty much it. This season's on Spiller and Jackson (just like the last 3). If they can reliably pound the rock and move the chains, then maybe this thing comes together into a winning season.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Love the post HHURRICANE. If you read what you are saying in the context of the many ups and downs on this board and the way fans insist on delineating each other in their own personal struggles it's really fantastic. I also agree that perhaps more than we have ever seen this ship can go either way LOL. It really rests on the QB position and I am willing to say that is a very large unknown he might actually be good!

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

this is the deepest team weve had in a long time but an injury to qb or a couple to lb and its basement land again
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

Hal ... EJ doesn't even have to get injured to send us to the basement.

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

What we know:

Manuel ain't cuttin' it.

The linebackers are not going to be good against the pass and do not have the players on paper that should make it better.

The secondary without Byrd is nothing special at best.

The run D should be stout. But teams no longer win by stopping the run, they win by stopping the passing game.

The hype on the WRs has been overrated. Watkins hasn't shown anything in preseason games. Woods has a lot to prove, and when your best WR on the field has been Williams then there's definitely room for improvement to say the least.

We're weak at TE.

The OL should be average or better than average from a talent perspective.

Hackett doesn't know what he's doing.

It's highly questionable whether Marrone does.

Downing doesn't seem to have had much success with Manuel.

We couldn't stop any above average passing teams last season and lost to all of them and play more of them this season.

It's difficult to imagine this team being among the top 2/3 under any circumstances. Far too many loose ends.
                      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                      Originally Posted by pmoon6
                      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                        • Feb 2005

Welcome back HH... Never thought I'd miss your posts. Hear that Fletch/Swiper?

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                          Welcome back HH... Never thought I'd miss your posts. Hear that Fletch/Swiper?
                          No one cares what you think.

Comment

• gebobs
                            One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE View Post
                            I think the booing can start after week 1, not before.
                            Booooooooooooooooooooo!

Oh...sorry guv'nah. Got a bit carried away there.
                            Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• gebobs
                              One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by bleve View Post
                              I believe there's significant talent on this team.
                              Not really. Aside from what coastal thinks, the DL is the strongest corps on the team. Even they are inconsistent. Next are the wideouts and they are just above average, maybe grade them in the top 10 if you're a homer. No one else will. I'll give a nod to Carpenter at kicker and thank Miami for letting him go. The rest of the positions are average to mediocre.
                              Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X