X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

Article implying that speed doesn't make the difference in the NFL

So many people here seem to think that speed makes such a huge difference in the NFL, but here's one more piece that implies that speed on an island just doesn't make that kind of difference. You'd think that our FO would have figured that out after 10 years of drafting guys largely limited to speed as their primary or even sole asset.

The four fastest teams in the NFL are the Titans, Browns, Skins, and us and none of us are any good.

By the way, TJ Graham, speed demon, now out the door. Waste of a 3rd rounder that coulda been Russell Wilson.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Article implying that speed doesn't make the difference in the NFL

The NFL formula to winning is Coaching, QB play and the trenches.

Speed doesn't figure there at all. It's just a nice bonus.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

It does if you listen to our FO.

That tells us something about our FO.
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Of course speed matters, but speed alone certainly does not. It has to be part of the package, not the entire ball of wax. 'Football speed', of course, matters more than straight-line forty speed also. If speed were the only measure for success, Renaldo Nehemiah would be in the HOF, not Jerry Rice.

Who ever said speed on an island was the end-all, be-all?
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
          It does if you listen to our FO.

That tells us something about our FO.
          Yeah, keep making stuff up to fit your argument...that's OK.

“I think our point of emphasis was to get better, whether it be with speed or size or mobility or productive veterans,” he said. “That was the emphasis – not necessarily just speed.”

“I thought we had fast guys last year, but to add Sammy Watkins and Mike Williams to Robert Woods and Chris Hogan and Marquise Goodwin – all those guys can fly and make possession catches. It really adds a lot of diversity to our wide receivers.”

“That’s going to happen when you have a lot of speed and talent like we do, guys who can hurt defenses down the field. They’re going to want to make you check it down."

YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
          X