Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Example of How This Team Creates Many of its own Problems

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Another Example of How This Team Creates Many of its own Problems

Doug Marrone says Kyle Orton is what the Buffalo Bills were 'looking for' at quarterback

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bill...wo-bills-drive

"Kyle is much better for us. He’s an experienced veteran. He’s what we were looking for and we were fortunate to get him."

Yeah, fortunate, with a dozen other teams all vying for the services of a 31-year old journeyman backup that's been on five different teams in 8 seasons.

OK Doug.

We can't get a new owner soon enough.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsFanCupp38 (09-05-2014),Mr. Cynical (09-02-2014),notacon (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Another Example of How This Team Creates Many of its own Problems

I hope you're not blaming Marrone for this. It's not his fault he inherited a team with no franchise qb.

4. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-02-2014),DynaPaul (09-02-2014),Topas (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Did Orton work for EXOS or another leading training facility? That was apparently an important factor in the Bills decision making matrix when bringing in Jordan Palmer to tutor Manuel.

No doubt Orton is a huge upgrade for the Bills as a back-up QB. Making him the highest paid back-up QB does raise some questions.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He is what everyone wanted us to get ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

7. Post thanked by:

better days (09-02-2014),Mr. Cynical (09-02-2014),YardRat (09-02-2014),Yasgur's Farm (09-02-2014)

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's what we were looking for in a backup quarterback, so he had experience and a modicum of talent compared to 0 experience and 0 talent that riddled the roster before hand. I don't see the problem in wanting an experienced backup.
    Bye Bye Brady...

9. Post thanked by:

better days (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Did Orton work for EXOS or another leading training facility? That was apparently an important factor in the Bills decision making matrix when bringing in Jordan Palmer to tutor Manuel.

No doubt Orton is a huge upgrade for the Bills as a back-up QB. Making him the highest paid back-up QB does raise some questions.
    Marrone said he did not know about Jordan's work for EXOS before bringing him in.

Marrone called it an opportunity for Jordan Palmer when he was brought in.

With 3 INT's against the Lions, it looks like Palmer did not take advantage of that opportunity.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by casdhf View Post
    He is what everyone wanted us to get ...
    The best QB available by far.

elite QB
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Can/will Orton be our franchise QB?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

another troll thread, bashing for the sake of bashing. Orton is a good backup, maybe the best backup in the league. That's what we hired him for.

14. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (09-03-2014),better days (09-02-2014),BuffaloRedleg (09-03-2014),feldspar (09-02-2014),Historian (09-02-2014),Meathead (09-02-2014),YardRat (09-02-2014),Yasgur's Farm (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BOBM253 View Post
    Can/will Orton be our franchise QB?
    At 32 years old, not for long.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I hope you're not blaming Marrone for this. It's not his fault he inherited a team with no franchise qb.
    He is responsible for saying stupid things.

People that say stupid things regularly usually aren't bright. I see nothing indicating that Marrone is bright. He's lost half the time in games, he did nothing at SU particularly suggesting that he was some kind of coaching genius, at NO no one seems to know exactly what his responsibilities actually were, and he says some of the dumbest things in post game interviews that we've ever heard here.

If he's going to be COTY then it's going to be one of the most remarkable developments in modern day football.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    The best QB available by far.
    Yeah, and how long has he been available?

Why did they wait if this is really "what they wanted all along?"

Sounds to me as if the scuffles between Whaley and Marrone have played out this way.

Otherwise, come on, connect the ***** dots here. There's only a couple, it's not hard.

18. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Yeah, and how long has he been available?

Why did they wait if this is really "what they wanted all along?"

Sounds to me as if the scuffles between Whaley and Marrone have played out this way.

Otherwise, come on, connect the ***** dots here. There's only a couple, it's not hard.
    He became available July 16.

You may be right about the scuffles between Whaley & Marrone leading to Orton being signed.

If that is the case, I think Marrone was on the side of signing him.

No doubt the amount of money it took to get Orton signed led to the delay.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He became available July 16.
    Right.

And we wanted him so badly that it took 6 weeks of strident negotiating and contractual jiggering to get him here in camp, right?

Seeing those two dots yet?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Right.

And we wanted him so badly that it took 6 weeks of strident negotiating and contractual jiggering to get him here in camp, right?

Seeing those two dots yet?
    It is possible Whaley did not want to sign Orton, either because of the Money or because Whaley did not want any real competition for EJ.

Or it is possible Orton was thinking of retiring & at the very least wanted to avoid training camp. And he wanted to be PAID.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

personally, i think EJ has a better chance of panning out if he feels like the job isn't his. it's almost like with ryan miller. when miller was unchallenged, he had sloppy goals, etc. when he was battling for starter status he was great. when he had a fight to be the starter in the olympics the first time, he was great, when he was fighting to get traded, he was good.

but when he wasn't being pushed, he grew very complacent. i think having a guy who the coaching staff and fans know has the ability to get a locker room behind him and go close to.500, puts the onus on EJ to step up. To me, if he does not sepearate himself by week5, we kind of know that he's not going to develop quickly and that his window is closing quickly.

Also, orton isn't very good, but he is ideal as a back up since he can take the team close to 500 when a starter is out. not exactly the guy you want running 16 games, but safe to hold 4-6 weeks down if your starter is injured.

the one real question mark to me is that Orton and EJ seem very different as QBs. Orton more of an oldschool qb that can drop back and work from the pocket. will not make something of nothing. EJ has the athleticm and can make teams pay if they don't keep someone in the box to hold him down. So to that extent, the playbooks for EJ and Orton will be dramatically different. i would have honestly rather just kept tuel because he seemed like he could run the same offense with little disruption. I also don't think that the bills chances are good if EJ doesn't improve immediately and if he isn't playing.

23. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (09-02-2014),Meathead (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He is responsible for saying stupid things.

People that say stupid things regularly usually aren't bright. I see nothing indicating that Marrone is bright. He's lost half the time in games, he did nothing at SU particularly suggesting that he was some kind of coaching genius, at NO no one seems to know exactly what his responsibilities actually were, and he says some of the dumbest things in post game interviews that we've ever heard here.

If he's going to be COTY then it's going to be one of the most remarkable developments in modern day football.

I don't know about what he said back then but how is it stupid to say the Orton is better for the team? Would he be smart if the said, Thad and Tuel is better for the team?

25. Post thanked by:

YardRat (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It is possible Whaley did not want to sign Orton, either because of the Money or because Whaley did not want any real competition for EJ.

Or it is possible Orton was thinking of retiring & at the very least wanted to avoid training camp. And he wanted to be PAID.
    Not according to Orton.

Otherwise, it's also quite possible that Marrone is full of **** and just saying what's most likely to save his ass once the chips fall where some of us already know that they will, that he's simply not going to cut it at this level, and secondly, as I already said, that he's just not that bright.

I think that makes a lot more sense than the Bills trying to get Orton in late July, with not one report even remotely hinting that that was the case, but that Orton told them that he'd rather retire before signing with them now and telling everyone that this was a great fit and something he'd been looking for.

I mean do you actually read any of the factual info out there before just throwing up mud here? It sure doesn't seem like it. But this is what makes the difference between those that post here that already have some information, of whatever kind it is, but "stuff that's already out there." Like a wealth of good info apparently never looked at by anyone at OBD on Manuel prior to the Draft last season.

Some people have trouble reading a post that's more than a few sentences long. How much less that they read a two or three page article? I'd say even less likely since that would actually involve some diligence in finding it to begin with, and well, we can't have that kind of time inconvenience, can we.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This Organization is a joke right now. You back up the fact that EJ is your guy over and over again. You keep two stiff backup QBs establishing this claim then you trade your 1st rd pick for a wr clearly to provide better weapons for your QB and bring in Mike Williams too. Then a week before the season you dump everybody at QB except your precious 1st rd QB and sign Orton at 5mil??? This makes all of them look very stupid right now and dysfunctional as always even after the old man is gone and buried. Talking we won't be picking high next year and EJ is the man..blah blah effing blah blah! The pressure is on and they are feeling the tight squeeze around their necks. Realizing that hillbilly Nix screwed them with the stupid QB pick and now they may end up handing a top 5 pick to a former Buff coach in Clev. For 15 effing years this bull crap has been going on and it's still going on as long as the Wilson cronies are still lurking about...Brandon/Nix/Overdorf/Littman. This whole preseason and training camp is a fireable offence in my opinion since they botched it all up once again and looking like idiots in the process.

28. Post thanked by:

imbondz (09-02-2014),Jeff1220 (09-03-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not according to Orton.

Otherwise, it's also quite possible that Marrone is full of **** and just saying what's most likely to save his ass once the chips fall where some of us already know that they will, that he's simply not going to cut it at this level, and secondly, as I already said, that he's just not that bright.

I think that makes a lot more sense than the Bills trying to get Orton in late July, with not one report even remotely hinting that that was the case, but that Orton told them that he'd rather retire before signing with them now and telling everyone that this was a great fit and something he'd been looking for.

I mean do you actually read any of the factual info out there before just throwing up mud here? It sure doesn't seem like it. But this is what makes the difference between those that post here that already have some information, of whatever kind it is, but "stuff that's already out there." Like a wealth of good info apparently never looked at by anyone at OBD on Manuel prior to the Draft last season.

Some people have trouble reading a post that's more than a few sentences long. How much less that they read a two or three page article? I'd say even less likely since that would actually involve some diligence in finding it to begin with, and well, we can't have that kind of time inconvenience, can we.
    I posted as I usually do about what I had heard in interviews or read.

Orton said he wanted & needed to spend time with his family this off season including his 3 year old daughter.

I think it is likely Orton did not want to play for the Cowboys anymore & was considering retiring rather than playing for them again.

EVERYTHING is speculation about Orton & he refuses to discuss the Cowboys or his time there or why he wanted out of Dallas.
    Last edited by better days; 09-02-2014 at 01:45 PM.