• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Pegula's Statement

“Kim and I are humbled and honored that the Wilson family has chosen us to be the second owner of the Buffalo Bills. Pending the NFL approval process, being the next owner of the Buffalo Bills would be a great privilege for our family. Ralph Wilson left an indelible mark on our community and we will strive every day to honor his legacy.

Our interest in owning the Bills has everything to do with the people of Western New York and our passion for football. We have knowledgeable, dedicated fans here and along with our ownership of the Buffalo Sabres, it is gratifying to reassure these great fans that two franchises so important to our region are both here to stay.

We are grateful to Senator Chuck Schumer and Governor Andrew Cuomo for their support and desire to keep our Bills in Western New York where they belong and to our team of professional advisors at Allen & Company and Sherrard, German & Kelly. We would also like to thank the staffs of the NFL and the Bills for helping to guide us through the sale process. We now look ahead to the NFL review process in accordance with League policy. If awarded final approval, we will be driven to achieve a singular goal: To win a Super Bowl for our fans.

Out of respect for the continuing sale process, until League approval is attained, we will have no further comment.”
    Here's the bolded again:

If awarded final approval, we will be driven to achieve a singular goal: To win a Super Bowl for our fans.
    Did the ex-owner EVER make that statement...? I can't ever recall that being A goal, let alone the SINGULAR goal.

-Bill
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Pegula's Statement

it is gratifying to reassure these great fans that two franchises so important to our region are both here to stay.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
      Victimizing The Victimizer
      • Aug 2012

Meh.....He said the same thing when he bought the Sabres.

The only reason the Sabres exist is to win the Stanley Cup...

Comment

• BLeonard
        BoB Sabermetrician
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Downinfloflo View Post

Get back to me when he owns the Sabres or Bills for 54 years without a Cup or a Super Bowl Trophy... Or hell, when either miss the playoffs for 14 consecutive seasons.

Some gave the ex-owner a pass for that long, I think Pegula at least deserves a 5th of that time to start showing results.

On top of that, the point stands... When was it ever even a goal for the ex-owner...?

-Bill
        Last edited by BLeonard; 09-09-2014, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
          • Mar 2004

He went into owning the Sabres and spent big money and did give a try. The team wasn't in great shape though. I think they are in a full on tank a couple years for high pick and then add some better FA's mode. The Bills are closer to being a good team and it's easier to "fix an NFL team because players have such short careers and other factors.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Downinfloflo View Post

and another troll achieves Ignore status

Bye bye
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
              Get back to me when he owns the Sabres or Bills for 54 years without a Cup or a Super Bowl Trophy... Or hell, when either miss the playoffs for 14 consecutive seasons.

Some gave the ex-owner a pass for that long, I think Pegula at least deserves a 5th of that time to start showing results.

On top of that, the point stands... When was it ever even a goal for the ex-owner...?

-Bill
              ****, at this point I'll be happy just to have a competitive team on the field that's legitimately capable of beating any team in the league and usually favored to do so.

Let's just hope that he doesn't fall back on Wilson's legacy of front office talent evaluation. Let's hope he fumigates at OBD and installs his own FO.
              http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
              (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
              Originally Posted by pmoon6
              The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...5-50943235f6e9

Here's the bolded again:

Did the ex-owner EVER make that statement...? I can't ever recall that being A goal, let alone the SINGULAR goal.

-Bill
                Pretty sure Ralph said something similar when the Bills & the AFL started up.

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                  Pretty sure Ralph said something similar when the Bills & the AFL started up.
                  The Super Bowl didn't even exist when the AFL started up.

The AFL was around for nearly a decade before the leagues even merged... That was around the time that the ex-owner was threatening to move the team to Seattle, IIRC.

-Bill

Comment

• Turf
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                    it is gratifying to reassure these great fans that two franchises so important to our region are both here to stay.
                    That says it all for me. And they won't cringe about spending to win either.
                    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• BLeonard
                      BoB Sabermetrician
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                      ****, at this point I'll be happy just to have a competitive team on the field that's legitimately capable of beating any team in the league and usually favored to do so.

Let's just hope that he doesn't fall back on Wilson's legacy of front office talent evaluation. Let's hope he fumigates at OBD and installs his own FO.
                      I'm pretty confident that that will be the case... My take on Pegula is that, while he respects the past, he wants his own legacy, even if he has to pay a significant amount of money in order to get it.

-Bill

Comment

• BLeonard
                        BoB Sabermetrician
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                        That says it all for me. And they won't cringe about spending to win either.
                        Yep. No more "just happy to have a team" bull****. Results on the field are the new bar being set.

I don't watch a lot of NHL, but that might change... This is the kind of guy I'd like to see succeed on the football field and on the ice.

-Bill

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

You're gaining ground on OP and Fletch...give it a rest already.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BLeonard
                            BoB Sabermetrician
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            You're gaining ground on OP and Fletch...give it a rest already.
                            Yeah, God forbid some want more from this team that to simply exist in WNY... Some Bills fans still set the bar higher than that, I'm sorry to see that some are just content with mediocrity, as long as they have a team.

-Bill

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                              Victimizing The Victimizer
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                              and another troll achieves Ignore status

Bye bye
                              Before or after you blow Mr Pegula?

Comment

Working...