Thread: Corey Graham Needs To Play More Than 33 Plays

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Corey Graham Needs To Play More Than 33 Plays

Corey Graham was the MVP of the Buffalo Bills after the first two weeks.

He was the biggest difference maker on the field for the Bills against the Bears, and Dolphins.

Against the Chargers, Corey Graham did not play as much.

%UC!

Stephon Gilmore had 49 plays, or 74%

Leodis McKelvin had 46 plays, or 70%

Corey Graham had 33 plays, or 50%

Makes no sense!

Shouldn't great play be rewarded with more playing time, not less?

Don't give me this, "We got 3 starting cornerbacks in rotation," bull crap, Marrone!

Why take playing time away from a player that has been making game changing plays?

2. Post thanked by:

k-oneputt (09-23-2014),Mace (09-22-2014)

elite QB
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Corey Graham Needs To Play More Than 33 Plays

Marrone is starting to sound like Chan. Everybody has a turn.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

especially when you are getting beat deep and the weeks prior he broke up a few deeper plays and picked off the ball.
    graham has to be in the game more than leodis.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It will be interesting to see if Graham does indeed get far more playing time. He should be covering the opponents #1 WR right now.

Both McKelvin and Gilmore are currently struggling to cover their own shadow.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,300 Times in 13,730 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So wait, if it's about whose turn it is, why was Graham in so few plays compared to Gilmore and Leodis?

I'm really starting to question Marrone's competence after the way things have been going.

I know, Graham doesn't have the draft status of the other two, but he has far outplayed them and deserves to be the #1 corner til one of the other two earn it.

7. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (09-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gilmore and Graham are right now the two obvious starters.
    I can't fiqure out this McKelvin deal. He is a distant 3rd imo.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Notable is the game by rookie LB Preston Brown. He was in for 66 snaps - every play on defense, and added 9 more on ST. Credited with 4 solo tackles and 7 assists. On the distaff side, it's questionable (to me) why a rookie has to get that much playing time.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Notable is the game by rookie LB Preston Brown. He was in for 66 snaps - every play on defense, and added 9 more on ST. Credited with 4 solo tackles and 7 assists. On the distaff side, it's questionable (to me) why a rookie has to get that much playing time.
    Understand your point but the Chargers really ran the ball a lot and Brown is a run-oriented LB. I think its fairly simple.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
    Understand your point but the Chargers really ran the ball a lot and Brown is a run-oriented LB. I think its fairly simple.
    I'm not clear about you saying it was fairly simple. BUF would have to have known that SD would continue to run the ball, even though they were down their 2 top backs. That SD did, with Brown averaging 2.1 yards/carry, was smart of them. There's still something to be said by keeping a defense "honest", by not completely buying into the enhanced passing rules.

I really liked how the SD OC played his cards.

I think that BUF's hand was forced. Play the rookie because he was the best bet - their LB corps and its' (lack of) overall competency has been going on for years. Alonso was a bright spot, Takeo Spikes, Poz, Fletcher, Cowens. Lawson is ok, but is more a DE-oriented tweener than LB.

How a team can go on for so many years with out even stumbling across a strong, three man LB corps, is a mystery.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 09-23-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who else do you propose they had out there in Brown's spot?

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    That's the problem. Right now, they have roster spots with Hughes and Lawson. And both are good players. But they are near-classic "tweeners", and now they hired Brandon Spikes, who does good against interior runs but is situated like a 5th DL without knuckles on the ground. He was in for 18 defensive plays last Sunday. His reputation follows him, and is proven - liability against passes. Why do I want a MLB like him? I expect my MLB to do general, overall duty. Be a field general, call defensive sets. I was concerned about talk of Alonso moving outside before his injury. OLB's having more specific responsibilities, and losing Alonso's thinking in the fly.

It's not who I or you propose - it's up to those that manage the club.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

hired Brandon Spikes, who does good against interior runs but is situated like a 5th DL without knuckles on the ground. He was in for 18 defensive plays last Sunday.
    He was benched for a long time, following his moronic head butt that that gave SD a first down and a quick score after on the first drive. He's normally on the field far more but is pulled on passing downs.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    He was benched for a long time, following his moronic head butt that that gave SD a first down and a quick score after on the first drive. He's normally on the field far more but is pulled on passing downs.
    I don't call him a bum - he's a decent NFL player. But he's like Lawson - also a decent pro - but they have a tweener skill set biased towards LOS play. So both of them get limited snaps throughout their careers.

Add in Hughes, and you have this mish-mosh that in some situations call for defense and coverage that a more traditional LB can provide.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Great question. Posters here usually leave it at that. But that's the kind of question that a good front office asks and addresses during the offseason, not after 3 weeks of the regular season.

Notice that our newest impact player Spikes hasn't made nearly the impact that most here claimed he would and isn't even on the field over half the time.

This was totally predictable since he wasn't on the field anymore than that in New England, but so many here knew so much better.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's the problem. Right now, they have roster spots with Hughes and Lawson. And both are good players. But they are near-classic "tweeners", and now they hired Brandon Spikes, who does good against interior runs but is situated like a 5th DL without knuckles on the ground. He was in for 18 defensive plays last Sunday. His reputation follows him, and is proven - liability against passes. Why do I want a MLB like him? I expect my MLB to do general, overall duty. Be a field general, call defensive sets. I was concerned about talk of Alonso moving outside before his injury. OLB's having more specific responsibilities, and losing Alonso's thinking in the fly.

It's not who I or you propose - it's up to those that manage the club.
    Again, something that few here comprehend, obviously, since most argued against that very point vehemently when you, I, or any other number of people realizing that pointed it out prior to the season starting.

Once again, we don't know wtf we're talking about, we just got lucky in our guessing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

God bless Schwartz!

Hated the hire, still do, worst coach on the staff.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The only other LBs we had available were Larry Dean and Ty Powell. Dean hasn't even been on this team for two weeks so don't expect him to know the defense and Powell is a former DE playing OLB which tells me he might not have the athleticism to be any good in coverage or as a run stuffer. Dean might get more snaps as he gets more familiar but until Rivers gets healthy expect to see Brown in there most snaps.