• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Nate Silver: Week 8 Predictions

The Denver Broncos, who moved into the top slot in our Elo ratings last week, widened their advantage over the rest of the league in Week 7. Denver looked domin…

He the bills odds of winning the division at 10% and making the playoffs at 20%.

The model picks the bills to win 51% of the time in the simulations over the jets and winning by 1pt.

The model vs the point spread YTD was 49-50-3 while the straight up winner is 74-31-1. I think that's fairly impressive.
  • MidnightVoice
    Retired (mostly)
    • Mar 2003

Re: Nate Silver: Week 8 Predictions

The Packers face the Saints in one of Week 8's marquee matchups, pitting two elite QBs having vastly different seasons. Around The NFL picks that winner and the rest of this week's games.

NFL has 4 picks for the Jets, 1 for us.

Visit ESPN to view NFL Expert Picks for the current week and season

ESPN has 8 jets, 5 bills

So I make the odds 2 to 1 against

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May

Comment

• Jry44
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by MidnightVoice View Post
      http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...r-picks-week-8

NFL has 4 picks for the Jets, 1 for us.

Visit ESPN to view NFL Expert Picks for the current week and season

ESPN has 8 jets, 5 bills

So I make the odds 2 to 1 against
      And they were 100% for the Lions and Bears, or very close to it. These guys are no better at making picks than we are.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Bills will beat Sexy Rexy who will be fired on Monday but be our next DC once Schwartz leaves for a HC job next year.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
          http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/n...-playoff-odds/

He the bills odds of winning the division at 10% and making the playoffs at 20%.

The model picks the bills to win 51% of the time in the simulations over the jets and winning by 1pt.

The model vs the point spread YTD was 49-50-3 while the straight up winner is 74-31-1. I think that's fairly impressive.
          A 51% chance of winning with a 1 point prediction? That might be the closest thing to a coin flip his system can produce.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
            A 51% chance of winning with a 1 point prediction? That might be the closest thing to a coin flip his system can produce.
            yeah...i like using his model to confirm my gut feeling on a game. and where i differ, i start looking into stats to see what i think is a big driver.

his model is pretty intriguing though because it takes a teams historic period into account. so an .500 team that's been to the playoffs a few times gets a lot more credit than a hot team above .500 but been on the outside looking in for the last few years.

it makes sense in the grand scheme of things but it misses a little of the momentum.

his model had seattle as one of the most sure bet games last week and i thought so as well. i picked them for my pickem pool and am now out. thanks a lot nate silver!

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

Pickcenter has it at 22-18 and 22-20, both Jets...

I like the Bills getting 3 in this game. Of course, I'd like 3.5 a lot more!

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

PFT says this;

Bills at Jets
                MDS’s take: I’ve felt all year that the Jets are a better team than they’re showing on the field, and I think we’re finally going to see them turn in a complete game on Sunday. The Bills’ offense will struggle with the Jets’ defense and the Jets will win a low-scoring game.

MDS’s pick: Jets 17, Bills 13.

Florio’s take: The Jets surely won’t finish 1-15. What better way to get a win than against a Bills team that is rattled at the tailback position and generally not a good as its 4-3 record suggests? While Percy Harvin isn’t good enough to turn around a lost season in New York, he’s good enough to make a difference in this one.

Florio’s pick: Jets 24, Bills 20.

I don't see Orton having a good game in this one nor do I see our rushing game posting better than an average performance.

The question is whether our "elite D" and formerly #1 (now #5) rushing D can stop the Jets four-headed rushing attack which just got harder with the addition of Harvin.

The potential exists for a Jets blowout if we struggle to score again.
                http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                Originally Posted by pmoon6
                The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

you aren't going to like that the jets 4 headed running attack has typically stopped itself. morningweg will call off the dogs and go to his overly complicated offense for no reason.

i think the jets are much better than they seem to be. but the jet fans i work with all say the same thing, "if geno has time to throw, he'll eat the bills secondary alive. if he's under any pressure, it's going to be ugly."

we've split these games the last couple years, i don't expect any different.

this typically is the game that a harvin player has just a spectacular game making the talking heads wonder how such a trade can occur and 4 weeks later we never hear from harvin again.

bills win this one, playoff watch is very much alive. lose this one and you can pack it up. 6-8 wins will be the cap.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

If the Bills win this game, they will have reached the half way point of the season with a winning record.

When is the last time that happened?

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

I'm thinking 33-30 Jets.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                        I'm thinking 33-30 Jets.
                        Seriously? You think the Jets are going to hang 33 points on the Bills?

The Jets may win this game, but I would bet the under on your numbers.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

Does the statistical model take biased refereeing into account? For instance, Walt Coleman officiating a Patriots game should automatically add 7 points to their score by default.

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

I do.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              If the Bills win this game, they will have reached the half way point of the season with a winning record.

When is the last time that happened?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

Working...
                              X