• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: What Type of Fan Are You?

Originally posted by Mace View Post
    To be honest, I'm a cautious realist homer mortuary attendant, and as Night Train said, old.

I get excited, know better, expect the worst, want the best, suspect it won't work out well and love the games and the team anyway.

I've been through this before, too many years.
    Well said.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Two things: some of you have this bs notion that if someone criticizes the team on a message board, they don't root for them on Sunday. It's a load of crap. Some of us get into the rah-rah stuff during the games but prefer to engage in some thought and analysis in between.

Second, categorizing fans is nothing but an unnecessary exercise in division. The reality is that this team has been an epic cluster**** for the last 14 years and counting. Anyone still here is a fan and that counts for a lot.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• JoeMama
        Emotion Sickness
        • Oct 2002

I'm the kind that's unnecessarily negative when it suits me, but otherwise the ultimate homer who would gladly step over God, family, friends, gainful employment, and fulfilling romantic relationships in favor of watching my favorite team on any given Sunday.

The Bills are mine on Sunday. And no deity, worldly responsibility, or the affection of loved ones will EVER stand in my way.

I don't do it because I want to. I do it because I must.

#irrationalfandomforever
        Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          some of you have this bs notion that if someone criticizes the team on a message board, they don't root for them on Sunday. .
          All fans criticize their team.

That's part of it.

Some go way overboard into the ***** and douchebag categories.

Comment

• Herd bull
            • May 2014

I am a old fan both in years and years watching. Many people would call me a homer and I see nothing wrong with being one. If you are a fan you cheer for the
            team. If you don't cheer for the team then you are not a fan no matter what you claim.

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Loyal.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                chop chop
                • Jun 2003

and this guy is working on his PhD

I'd be a career-student too if I was that useless and had vanilla opinions on everything. Look for this same kind of topic to be regurgitated every other week by the OBD pudsuckers on here
                Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

• notacon
                  • Aug 2012

Long suffering.

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                    The game your playing on this board is not too difficult to decipher, Fletch; in fact, it's transparent. I don't care if you're really a douchebag or just play one on the Internet. The net result remains the same as far as I'm concerned.
                    What's transparent feldspar is the superficial nature of the posting. It begins early in the season where anything but overstatements of performance are ridiculed, slandered, maligned, etc. with the posters that post concerns entirely in good faith are called trolls among other things.

Then as the season progresses it becomes clear that those that conducted themselves as such are upset for one or more reasons, and begin to take it out on fellow fans rather than perhaps just telling themselves that they were wrong and leaving it at that. I know of none of those on that side of the fence that you might call "pessimists" that initiate any hostilities whatsoever. All they want to do is discuss football in realistic, not hyped up baseless, terms. But that's not permitted until "the mob" says it's OK.

That's what's transparent. The difference between me and some of those others is that I don't put up with nearly as much bull****. That's transparent too.

Anytime you want to talk football, I'm quite happy to do so. If you call me names, jump on bandwagons calling me (or others) names, take for fact what others say I said instead of what I actually wrote, etc., then I'm going to respond and in no uncertain way. Sorry you don't like it, but the easiest way to elminate it is for those that want to engage to bring their facts and those that don't to not make idiotic comments about posts that they don't read, dismiss me as whatever they like without overreacting, and go on about their lives as such. But they can't do that.
                    Last edited by Fletch; 10-24-2014, 07:04 AM.
                    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                    Originally Posted by pmoon6
                    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                      All fans criticize their team.

That's part of it.

Some go way overboard into the ***** and douchebag categories.
                      Some go way overboard into the ***** and douchebag categories about other fans. It starts during the preseason when those other fans don't wear glasses that see nothing but roses and rainbows.

What do you expect when a majority jumps all over a minority in that way, the exchanging of pleasantries?

Here's the funny thing about it, if at the end of the season they're wrong, then maybe, just maybe, you have a case. But they haven't been. So really, what does that say about people like you and those leading the charge in the preseason and early parts of the season?
                      Last edited by Fletch; 10-24-2014, 07:09 AM.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

You have an extremely high opinion of yourself.

Which can complicate things on a message board.

There are a lot of smart people here who come from varied backgrounds and have varied opinions. The best discussions happen when people realize that they can actually learn from one another.

Op is a great example. While critical, he actually reads what write to his comments and respects enough people here that he considers their viewpoint. And does all of that without telling people he is smarter than everybody else.

Which is why he is also well respected here. Not putting up with bull**** is fine. But not putting up with dissent and pretending that you are the only one that watches this game is not so productive.

Serious question - how old are you?

Based on the posting style, I'm guessing mid to late 20s. Maybe early 30s.
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

As to the original question I, like Op, don't get why we need to pigeonhole fans into some kind of category.

Fact is,we are all Bills fans. We have undergone various levels of torture and pain throughout the years. Some remember the AFL championship teams. Some remember the O-fer against Miami in the 70s. Some remember the miiddle 80s with a parade of QBs like Dufek, Ferragamo and Mathiason (three guys that make EJ look like Brady). Some remember the Super Bowl agony.

But at the end of the day we are all fans that want the team to do well. We might have different paths for the team to get there. And we might disagree as to how close they are to making those steps. But we all want them to succeed and finally win a damn Super Bow. And we are all happy that they are now staying in the Buffalo area.

Attempts to further divide Bills fans is silly and futile. It serves no purpose. There are already enough things that do that.
                          Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Herd bull View Post
                            I am a old fan both in years and years watching. Many people would call me a homer and I see nothing wrong with being one. If you are a fan you cheer for the
                            team. If you don't cheer for the team then you are not a fan no matter what you claim.
                            I cannot imagine that we're not all homers on Sundays.

But when there are so many areas where things break down on Sundays, it's very difficult, at least for some of us, to be homers when the games aren't on.

This notion that some of us sit around on Sunday rooting for our opponents is one of those continual slaps in the face from fellow fans that are levied with the infractors looking the other way as if they didn't do anything. I mean honestly, who wouldn't be offended at the notion of that as a fan.

As for me, I stopped actually going to games years ago for several reasons, among which but not limited to, is that feeling you have after going to a game and leaving it with a huge turd at the 50 after the team craps all over itself. When the odds of that occurring became greater than the odds of going to a well-played, well-coached game, regardless of outcome (i.e. all I'd like to see is a well played and well coached game), then I decided that it wasn't worth the time and money to go. I got tired of feeling ripped off and dejected while having to drive 2 hours back home. Another reason the regression in fan behavior that I and those that I've gone to games with have seen. Games were more fun to go to in the '80s even when we weren't much better for that reason alone.

We need a MAJOR change in how this organization does business. I hope it comes after this season.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

What " Kind " of fan goes back to how long you've been on the ride.

I hopped on in 1965 as a kid in kindergarten, being taken to games by a season ticket family. I grew up in Buffalo and know the fans. I saw many down years..more than good ones.

I remember some good AFL teams, The Saban/OJ run, The vastly underrated Chuck Knox years and the great run of the late 80's to mid-90's..a couple good Wade years.

It's all about where you grew up..actual age..history..perspective.

It's like an ink blot test with 20 different descriptions of the same picture. Some have their way of looking at it and wish it to be accepted as gospel.

I'll look at the Bills the way I chose to look at them. In year 50 of viewing them and always willing to see something good happen..like Watkins catch with a second left.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• feldspar
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Fletch View Post

Here's the funny thing about it, if at the end of the season they're wrong, then maybe, just maybe, you have a case. But they haven't been. So really, what does that say about people like you and those leading the charge in the preseason and early parts of the season?
                                I already have a strong case that you are a douchebag. That won't change unless your attitude changes, particularly regarding your attitude towards those you disagree with. There is a reason why many, many posters here think that, and it's not the reason you think.

I don't recall leading any kind of charge. Who is "leading the charge," and what's wrong with that?

I really don't go about saying "everybody thinks this or that," because such is not really the case, either. Not sure why you want to lump everyone or most posters into one category all the time. I don't see is as being that way all the time.
                                Last edited by feldspar; 10-24-2014, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X