• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

Re: Statement Game

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
    Uh, pretty sure that is good for a Pass Defense.
    What's good for a pass defense?

Being ranked 26th in compl. % allowed, 14th in Rating allowed, 19th in ypa allowed, and 19th in yards per game allowed?

Or what is pretty good?

There's more to pass defense than just getting sacks and INTs, especially when we hardly get any against teams like SD and NE. I'm sure it'll be the same against GB, NE again, and Denver too, maybe even KC. Don't you think? Or do you think that our defense is going to step it up in those games?

It's nice to know that we can rattle Tannehill, Bridgewater, Stafford when he only has one receiving option on the field that's ever done much, but at some point we're going to have to prove that we can do the same against playoff teams if we want to become one.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
      The Jets are better than their record IMO, and they are desperate for a win at this point. "Win one for Rex" at home or whatever. Coming off a Thursday Night game (which they should have won), the Jets have a few more days to prepare than the Bills. They have a good defense; in fact, I think that this game has all the earmarks of a defensive battle. The over/under in this game is lower than any other game in week 8.

I see it as a must-win game. There should be no talk about the playoffs for quite a while if we lose this game, with a lot of ground to make up...probably too much. A divisional game is HUGE, especially in the spot the Bills are in. They are 1-3 in the conference, so that doesn't bode well for any tiebreakers in Wildcard scenarios, much less winning the division. Personally, I'd like to entertain those thoughts for a longer period of time. Whatever happens is going to linger for two weeks, through the bye.

Looking at it, I think the difference may be turnovers and penalties if it turns out to be the defensive battle it seems to be on paper. At any rate, I think those two things will be key. Protect the football and don't make stupid mistakes. The refs are sure to piss me off, but that's nothing new. It'll be interesting to see how our new running game looks, and they do have a challenge against this Jets defense in that regard. The Bills need to protect Orton so he can exploit that vulnerable Jets secondary...running the ball well would obviously help that.

Scoring first would be big.
      Agree with you for the most part.

But you overlooked one thing, the Jets running game. The Jets ran haywire over us in both games last season and now have three RBs that have had a history of doing damage against us. Figure that they just schooled Belicheat in that way and it could be an enormous problem for our "elite rushing defense."

Either way, it's going to be a good gauge game to see what Schwartz's rushing D is really made of. This might be the best rushing game we've seen all season. If we can't hold them to under 100 yards rushing, or at least a very low rushing average if somewhat over that, then I think we all have to start questioning how good this rushing defense really is and whether or not it hasn't been more smoke and mirrors in getting us to this point in the rankings.

Smith should not be a problem for our D except for the extent to which he runs with the ball too.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Just win the ****ing game ok? PLEAAAASSSE :)

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
          Like Historian said, it's more of a must win for the Jets than it is the Bills.

A loss would not cripple the season, regardless of what some will tell you. 4-4 after the bye is still a very good spot to be in, Wild Card wise.
          If we lose, and it's a good assumption that Miami beats Jax this weekend, then we'll be in third place and 1-2 in the division with road games remaining in NE and Miami.

Miami has an easier schedule left and has already played GB and KC. The Jets have an easier schedule remaining and have already played Denver and GB.

Depends upon what you mean by cripple the season, but if crippling the season means damaging playoff hopes beyond a reasonable expectation, then this is a must-win game.

Post #46

------

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Fletch can we just win this freaking game please?

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

This is like NE to Buffalo week 6 all over again, only this time the Jets play the role of the Bills and Bills play the role of the Pats.

Week 6 the Bills viewed it as a must win, but the Pats rose up and put the Bills in their place. Can the Bills do the same to the Jets in game 8?

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

geno had a decent game in NJ with 2 TD and 330yards... they won despite 20 penalties in that game.

then he came to buffalo and had 8 completions 3 INTs and just melted down to 108 yards passing. the bills ran away.

to me it really comes down to how crazy geno is going to be. When he has time, he makes the right read and throws fairly accurately. Other times,he just gets way in over his head and isn't in the right zipcode. i don't know which one shows up.

- he's thrown at least one int in every game but the patriots game.
                - they didn't crush oakland at home and that was his best game with a 96 qbr.
                - they throw a lot and lose. oakland he threw 28 times and won. Every other game with the exception of oakland where he was yanked, he's thrown 30+ times.

at some point, someone with sense in NJ needs to say "let's use our backs and use our #5 rushing attack to take the pressure off our volatile QB". but i think morningweg will want to try his new toy and make harvin happy with a number of targets. hopefully we can disrupt that with good pressure and making it hard for the two of them to be on the same page.

I also think if the jets start slowly, their crowd is going to eat them alive.

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                  geno had a decent game in NJ with 2 TD and 330yards... they won despite 20 penalties in that game.

then he came to buffalo and had 8 completions 3 INTs and just melted down to 108 yards passing. the bills ran away.

to me it really comes down to how crazy geno is going to be.
                  If you remember, the Jets victory last year when our entire secondary was out...and I mean our ENTIRE secondary, except for Aaron Williams, who was forced into playing cornerback. Justin Rogers gave up the majority of those yards on a handful of plays.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                    If you remember, the Jets victory last year when our entire secondary was out...and I mean our ENTIRE secondary, except for Aaron Williams, who was forced into playing cornerback. Justin Rogers gave up the majority of those yards on a handful of plays.
                    But our O-Line wasn't as bad then as now.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

to me it really comes down to how crazy geno is going to be. When he has time, he makes the right read and throws fairly accurately. Other times,he just gets way in over his head and isn't in the right zipcode. i don't know which one shows up.

- he's thrown at least one int in every game but the patriots game.
                      - they didn't crush oakland at home and that was his best game with a 96 qbr.
                      - they throw a lot and lose. oakland he threw 28 times and won. Every other game with the exception of oakland where he was yanked, he's thrown 30+ times.

at some point, someone with sense in NJ needs to say "let's use our backs and use our #5 rushing attack to take the pressure off our volatile QB". but i think morningweg will want to try his new toy and make harvin happy with a number of targets. hopefully we can disrupt that with good pressure and making it hard for the two of them to be on the same page.

I also think if the jets start slowly, their crowd is going to eat them alive.
                      The Bills were decimated in the secondary the first game against the Jets last year & still almost won that game.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

i forgot about the justin rogers game.

i think we got help from 20 penalties on the jets. maybe it was a little less, but they kept us in it with bad penalties. and i remember thinking that some of it was like we were the patriots. we were getting calls for no reason whatso ever. it was kind of fun to be the patriots.

at the end, i don't think the jets are as bad as 1-6. it will be very meaningful for the bills to win. if they can, to me that signifies some improvement. maybe beating the pats is more of a final step...winning a game we should on the road, before a bye to keep ourselves in it might be a more realistic target than trying to be the division leader from start to finish.

if they lose this game, in my opinion, it will be a complete status quo move and another nail in the coffin if pegula and his consultants are thinking about big changes.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                          But our O-Line wasn't as bad then as now.
                          Urbik is back & Orton makes the OL look worse than it really is with his legs of stone & lack of clock in his head.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post

I like Rex myself, & would be happy to have him as the HC of my team as long as he had a GOOD OC.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

We have 16 Statement games every season.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
                                • Jan 2010

i forgot about the justin rogers game.

i think we got help from 20 penalties on the jets. maybe it was a little less, but they kept us in it with bad penalties. and i remember thinking that some of it was like we were the patriots. we were getting calls for no reason whatso ever. it was kind of fun to be the patriots.

at the end, i don't think the jets are as bad as 1-6. it will be very meaningful for the bills to win. if they can, to me that signifies some improvement. maybe beating the pats is more of a final step...winning a game we should on the road, before a bye to keep ourselves in it might be a more realistic target than trying to be the division leader from start to finish.

if they lose this game, in my opinion, it will be a complete status quo move and another nail in the coffin if pegula and his consultants are thinking about big changes.
                                Well, everyone forgets about injuries just a little down the road.

The only thing there in black & white is the won lost record.

NOBODY remembers all the injured players on the teams the Pats* have beaten over the years, just the fact the Pats* won those games.

And this is why fletch has no point when he brings up the injuries to players on teams the Bills have beaten.

EVERY team has injuries.

Comment

Working...
                                X