• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Statement Game

We are a 3 point dog going on the road to play a 1 win team. The metrics speak to how we might be in trouble this week. A loss here puts us at 4-4 going into the bye, thinking about an opportunity squandered, and squarely on the outside looking in for the playoff picture.

A win though, a decisive win at that, could really be the difference in setting us up for a second half run. This team needs another dominant win, a la the Miami game, although without the Kelly and Pegula news/home opener wind at our back and on the road.

This isn't a must win game. We're still a ways from that kind of talk. But it is an opportunity. A chance to kick this Jets team squarely in the nuts and build the kind of confidence we're going to need to keep the pace with the rest of the conference.

I hope the boys are beyond amped this Sunday. I hope they're throwing haymakers all day and showing no mercy. I want to see us win by 20. It may be just 1 of 16, but to me it presents a huge chance to make the kind of statement we need to make.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Statement Game

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post

This isn't a must win game. We're still a ways from that kind of talk.
    for a team that hasn't made playoffs in 14 years, this is a must win. Maybe not mathematically but historically.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 10-24-2014, 08:33 AM.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
      We are a 3 point dog going on the road to play a 1 win team. The metrics speak to how we might be in trouble this week. A loss here puts us at 4-4 going into the bye, thinking about an opportunity squandered, and squarely on the outside looking in for the playoff picture.

A win though, a decisive win at that, could really be the difference in setting us up for a second half run. This team needs another dominant win, a la the Miami game, although without the Kelly and Pegula news/home opener wind at our back and on the road.

This isn't a must win game. We're still a ways from that kind of talk. But it is an opportunity. A chance to kick this Jets team squarely in the nuts and build the kind of confidence we're going to need to keep the pace with the rest of the conference.

I hope the boys are beyond amped this Sunday. I hope they're throwing haymakers all day and showing no mercy. I want to see us win by 20. It may be just 1 of 16, but to me it presents a huge chance to make the kind of statement we need to make.
      I'll disagree that we need a dominant win. This is a division game and anything can happen. A 1-point win is fine as long as we play competently as I see it.

What is critical, IMO, is for the offense to put up some points for a change. We made this change to Orton which so far has only resulted in the diminishment of the running game, with FredEx and Spiller, more passing yards, but not more points.

Our passing D isn't very good apart from logging sacks and INTs again. Our rushing D plays well against inferior RBs but otherwise not so much.

I also disagree that this is not a must-win game if we expect to go 8-8 or better. We may not win a single game in December and our schedule features no team that we can afford to look past given last week's play. Of the four easiest games we have left three are divisional, twice against the Jets and one in Miami, two of the three being road games.

We're not going to beat NE, Denver, or GB, all cold weather teams, in December. Three of our December games are on the road.

Going into our bye week, which is positioned perfectly this season, at 4-4 is a recipe to finish 6-10 again.

This is a must-win game.
      Last edited by Fletch; 10-24-2014, 08:41 AM.
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

WIN THE ****ING GAME PLEASE. THE JETS HAVE 1 WIN FOR CHRISTS SAKE

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
          Our passing D isn't very good apart from logging sacks and INTs again. Our rushing D plays well against inferior RBs but otherwise not so much.
          Uh, pretty sure that is good for a Pass Defense.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
            for a team that hasn't made playoffs in 14 years, this is a must win. Maybe not mathematically but historically.
            I said this in a different thread, a win against the Jets & the Bills will have a winning record at the half way point of the season.

When is the last time that happened?

A win Sunday would be historical.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

It's a game they can and should win, but it usually ends up being a comedy of errors when we go to Jersey:

Multiple turnovers by both teams.
              Special teams disasters.
              Missed kicks.

And so on and so forth.

If the Bills win, Jet management is going to be kicking themselves for giving Coach Foot Fetish an extension.

I think it's a must win for them, which worries me a bit.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
                Uh, pretty sure that is good for a Pass Defense.
                And the Bills Defense is damn good at stopping the other teams Offense from putting points on the board.

At the start of the season, people not only said the Bears would beat the Bills, but the Bears would blow out the Bills.

That kind of talk continued for a few more games, but now nobody is saying the Bills are going to get blown out of a game.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                  It's a game they can and should win, but it usually ends up being a comedy of errors when we go to Jersey:

Multiple turnovers by both teams.
                  Special teams disasters.
                  Missed kicks.

And so on and so forth.

If the Bills win, Jet management is going to be kicking themselves for giving Coach Foot Fetish an extension.

I think it's a must win for them, which worries me a bit.
                  Rex did not get a long extension & the talk is he is coaching for his football life in NY.

I like Rex myself, & would be happy to have him as the HC of my team as long as he had a GOOD OC.

Comment

• feldspar
                    • Mar 2007

The Jets are better than their record IMO, and they are desperate for a win at this point. "Win one for Rex" at home or whatever. Coming off a Thursday Night game (which they should have won), the Jets have a few more days to prepare than the Bills. They have a good defense; in fact, I think that this game has all the earmarks of a defensive battle. The over/under in this game is lower than any other game in week 8.

I see it as a must-win game. There should be no talk about the playoffs for quite a while if we lose this game, with a lot of ground to make up...probably too much. A divisional game is HUGE, especially in the spot the Bills are in. They are 1-3 in the conference, so that doesn't bode well for any tiebreakers in Wildcard scenarios, much less winning the division. Personally, I'd like to entertain those thoughts for a longer period of time. Whatever happens is going to linger for two weeks, through the bye.

Looking at it, I think the difference may be turnovers and penalties if it turns out to be the defensive battle it seems to be on paper. At any rate, I think those two things will be key. Protect the football and don't make stupid mistakes. The refs are sure to piss me off, but that's nothing new. It'll be interesting to see how our new running game looks, and they do have a challenge against this Jets defense in that regard. The Bills need to protect Orton so he can exploit that vulnerable Jets secondary...running the ball well would obviously help that.

Scoring first would be big.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                      • Aug 2013

The Pats game was a statement game and we didn't show up, so that ship has sailed.

This is just a game where we must win to hang on to our slim playoff hopes. If they lose, seeya it ain't happening.

That's not just being negative, that's just a plain ole' unfortunate reality.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

Like Historian said, it's more of a must win for the Jets than it is the Bills. Rex and company are desperate for a win. I think the Bills are gonna be in tough this week. Anyone expecting a blowout has expectations that are way to high.

Find a way to win. A road divisional win would be huge.

A loss would not cripple the season, regardless of what some will tell you. 4-4 after the bye is still a very good spot to be in, Wild Card wise.

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post

A loss would not cripple the season, regardless of what some will tell you. 4-4 after the bye is still a very good spot to be in, Wild Card wise.
                          Maybe sometimes, but with a loss, the Bills would be 1-2 in the division and 1-4 in the conference. That's not good for a Wildcard tiebreaker scenario, like I said.

And a late push will be difficult, to say the least. The December schedule is brutal. Three of the four final games are on the road. We have to play AT Denver and AT New England. We also have to play Green Bay.

It's very important that the Bills make 5-3. Anything can happen later, but this team isn't good enough to climb out of any hole IMO. They need to make a run in the next five-game stretch, feeling good going into the bye. After the bye, the Bills have 3 out of the next 4 games at home, all games winnable IMO. We need to take advantage of these "winnable" games while we can.

Losing to the Jets this week would be extremely deflating.
                          Last edited by feldspar; 10-24-2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• HAMMER
                            I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            Rex did not get a long extension & the talk is he is coaching for his football life in NY.

I like Rex myself, & would be happy to have him as the HC of my team as long as he had a GOOD OC.
                            Wow! Don't know what to say about this statement. Who in their right mind would want that clown of a coach, total blowhard, creates distractions, likes to lick toes. No thank you

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
                              WIN THE ****ING GAME PLEASE. THE JETS HAVE 1 WIN FOR CHRISTS SAKE
                              They've also played Denver and GB. I think that they're much better than that record.

Maybe they'd be 3-4 if they'd played Minnesota and Houston instead of GB and Denver, two games that we're likely to lose as well. They definitely gave NE a hell of a lot better game than we did.

Just sayin'.
                              http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                              (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                              Originally Posted by pmoon6
                              The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍