Power to Give Rep

Kyle Orton - a few observations

Career Statsmore
    Season Team Passing Rushing Fumbles
    G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
    2014 Buffalo Bills 4 4 95 141 67.4 1,128 8.0 9 3 17 98 104.0 4 5 1.3 0 2 2
    2013 Dallas Cowboys 3 1 33 51 64.7 398 7.8 2 2 0 0 85.3 1 8 8.0 0 -- --
    2012 Dallas Cowboys 1 0 9 10 90.0 89 8.9 1 0 0 0 137.1 -- -- -- -- -- --
    2011 Kansas City Chiefs 4 3 59 97 60.8 779 8.0 1 2 1 5 81.1 6 -4 -0.7 0 -- --
    2011 Denver Broncos 5 5 91 155 58.7 979 6.3 8 7 9 49 75.7 5 17 3.4 0 2 2
    2010 Denver Broncos 13 13 293 498 58.8 3,653 7.3 20 9 34 243 87.5 22 98 4.5 0 4 4
    2009 Denver Broncos 16 15 336 541 62.1 3,802 7.0 21 12 29 159 86.8 24 71 3.0 0 4 2
    2008 Chicago Bears 15 15 272 465 58.5 2,972 6.4 18 12 27 160 79.6 24 49 2.0 3 6 5
    2007 Chicago Bears 3 3 43 80 53.8 478 6.0 3 2 2 12 73.9 5 -1 -0.2 0 2 0
    2006 Chicago Bears 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --
    2005 Chicago Bears 15 15 190 368 51.6 1,869 5.1 9 13 30 190 59.7 24 44 1.8 0 12 5
    TOTAL 1,421 2,406 59.1 16,147 6.7 92 62 149 916 81.3 115 287 2.5 3 32 20

Looking at his stats, you can't help thinking that he's going to cool down some after this 4 game stretch. A consistent mid 80 QB rating guy, I doubt he's going to go to over 100 rating and keep it up. Also the TD to INT ratio. But I do think, the AVG of 8 yard per attempt can be fairly close to what he might windup because for the first time in his career, he's in a system where they want to stretch vertically, not the short stuff he had in Chicago and Denver.

Very very few QB flourishes and matures after 10 years in NFL. Rich Gannon had 5 great years after the first 10 so so to bad years but I want to point out that for every Rich Gannon, there are probably 99 other vet QBs who are washed up just as their career past indicates.

Gannon had a great season in KC before he jumped ship to Oakland, getting to his favored WCO and had great weapons of Rice and Brown. Orton, on the other hand, had to teach the Bills talented receivers how to watch film. I think this might be one of the biggest misstep of the management last year that all QBs and WRs were so green and Stevie Johnson apparently didn't do enough mentoring job. It is widely reported that Orton grabbed his receivers watched film, show them what to watch, and did some early morning work together (Manuel did some end of the day work with the receivers when he was the starter but looking back, they probably didn't know what they were doing - merely reps). It may also point to the weakness of our receiver coach; they fired one last year and didn't seem to improve this year until Orton got in.

I do believe, however, Orton can be successful under Marrone for a few years because his run first philosophy. You have to believe that they are doing all they can to fix the run game and I'd bet a running back will be drafted pretty high next year. Orton is not Manuel; he's going to take sacks, a lot of sacks. That has fumbles and injuries written all over the place. The running game is the best remedy for that.

To be honest, I'm a little bit surprised to see the long balls he has thrown the last 4 games and won't be surprised to see more of that kind when Goodwin returns. Pound in the middle with the runs and bombs down the field is likely what we can expect to see from this offense after personnel and strategy changes from the 1st 8 games. The defense need to hold opposing team until the offensive bombs explode.

One thing I do worry is the pace of sacks he's taken thus far. I do think he can survie the season at that pace.

Lastly I can the feeling Mike Williams situation having a lot to do with Orton. It seems Orton has gotten the young receivers' ear and meshed well. Also the skillset. Has Mike Williams caught a pass since Orton became the QB?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Kyle Orton - a few observations

Well, Orton would not be the first QB to develop into a very good QB later in his career.

He will be a Bill next year but if he keeps playing like he has, I would be happy if the Bills signed him to a 4 year contract this offseason.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Has Orton had weapons like this before? Was Orton given the reigns as the undeniable leader like this? Did Orton, who had been working second team reps with Hogan, say he wanted Hogan over Williams? Did Williams do enough in his early playing time to hold the job? If Williams is the number 3, then who plays in the slot? Hogan is better in the slot than Williams and Woods/Watkins are better outside.

Orton has done this work against 3 TOP FIVE passing defenses while only working with the first team for 1 month. I think he may actually get better. The problem thus far is the pass blocking prevents us from passing more and passing deeper.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

4. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (10-29-2014)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, Orton would not be the first QB to develop into a very good QB later in his career.

He will be a Bill next year but if he keeps playing like he has, I would be happy if the Bills signed him to a 4 year contract this offseason.
    If history is any indication, they'll ink him next week for 7 years, $75M and he will promptly go back to being Orton.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

6. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (10-29-2014),Fletch (10-29-2014),imbondz (10-29-2014),WagonCircler (10-29-2014),X-Era (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    If history is any indication, they'll ink him next week for 7 years, $75M and he will promptly go back to being Orton.
    Well, history is no indication.

The Bills are a NEW organization from the owner down.

8. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd rather just let him play out his contract before offering any kind of extension. $7 mil for next season isn't peanuts and it's not like he has any other options.

I think Orton has improved as a player and is in a better situation than he's had before, so I don't think we can just assume that his performance is going to drop off. Considering how little time he's had with the Bills, I would imagine he's only getting more comfortable and confident with each week.

10. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'd rather just let him play out his contract before offering any kind of extension. $7 mil for next season isn't peanuts and it's not like he has any other options.

I think Orton has improved as a player and is in a better situation than he's had before, so I don't think we can just assume that his performance is going to drop off. Considering how little time he's had with the Bills, I would imagine he's only getting more comfortable and confident with each week.
    Well, like I said if Orton continues to play as he has, I expect the Bills to make the playoffs.

I would sign him to a new 4 year contract after the season while he is still under contract to the Bills.

If he continues to play like he has next year without a new contract he will be much more expensive to sign at the end of next year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by yordad View Post
    Has Orton had weapons like this before?
    In Chicago, his top targets were Muhsin Muhammed and Bernard Berrian. Muhammed's best years were already behind him in Carolina and Berrian was at the peak of an average career. Hester, Olsen, and Forte were all pretty green by the time Orton was traded. So, not much.

In Denver, of course, he had Brandon Marshall for one year, but the Broncos got tired of his antics and shipped him to Miami. Other than that, he had Jabar Gafney and Eddie Royal. In 2010, Brandon Lloyd had an all-pro year, but he was traded the next year too. His receivers during his tenure with Denver could be characterized as tumultuous, at best.

IMHO, he's not been blessed with many weapons over his career. With Fred and CJ gone, he has a lot less than he did two weeks ago. That's going to put a lot of pressure on Watkins but so far he's shown that he can handle it. Hogan, Chandler and Woods will have to step it up. And with Williams still on the team after the deadline, it would be nice if he earned some of that salary.

Is there any hope that Goodwin will emerge?

13. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Orton has a PLAYER option next year so he does have options.

The guy has an "indifference" demeanor, but the end of Detroit game showed that inside the guy has a lot of fire, consistent with the players and Marrone has been saying. He was never a media darling (like other jouney man QB we had like Fitz), always unappreciated in his career - in Chicago, they clamoured for better things like Cutler; in Denver, fans booed him because he's in Tebow's way. In Dallas, he's forgotten man because the Romo's limelights.

He's getting some love here in Buffalo only because he's been better than Manuel. Otherwise, the amount turnoevers he was giving would got him killed in a lot of places.At the end of the day, performance decides everything. 4 games in for Orton, opponents will sure key on him from now on, particularly when the running game is not producing. And there are holes in his game that teams can explore.

15. Post thanked by:

gebobs (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 902 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Here's a small observation.

EJ would not throw until he saw daylight between the receiver and DB.

Orton seems to see the dynamic between the DB and the receiver.

On two of his big plays the last two weeks, the big conversion to Chandler in the Viking game and the opening drive TD to Woods, Orton pulled the trigger while the DB's back was turned.

He seems to look for it. Both plays were covered "OK." But both times he threw when the DB's back was to the throw.

17. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (10-29-2014),gebobs (10-29-2014),YardRat (10-29-2014)

I'm right, Miyagi is wrong. HAMMER's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Orton is doing a very good job, especially for coming in so late.

I believe the offense will take another step forward before the KC game with all the extra time they have. People need to stop looking for the negative and see that there are many positives in Orton's game. He will never be Manning, Brady, or Rodgers, but he is already at the top of the second tier of QB's with his play so far.

No reason he can't improve further and lead this team to a playoff berth.

19. Post thanked by:

Patti120 (10-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Isn't the BYE week an actual trip away from football? Can they work this week?
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Regarding Mike Williams, at a point in the game on Sunday, they showed Orton visibly displeased with Mike on the sidelines. Mike was just standing there like a dope.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER View Post
    I believe the offense will take another step forward before the KC game with all the extra time they have.
    I sure hope so. That will be the tail end of my road trip from Atlanta to Erie (Otters on Friday) to Buffalo (Sabs/Pens on Saturday).

Thanks
    Thanked 24,469 Times in 14,177 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by casdhf View Post
    They still have team meetings, film room work, and practice I believe.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by casdhf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    They still have team meetings, film room work, and practice I believe.
    NFLPA requires at least four days off.
    Last edited by gebobs; 10-29-2014 at 12:31 PM.

25. Post thanked by:

better days (10-30-2014)

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Regarding Mike Williams, at a point in the game on Sunday, they showed Orton visibly displeased with Mike on the sidelines. Mike was just standing there like a dope.
    Orton: "I said I wanted CREAM in my latte...*****!"

LOL! It's interesting to me that Hogan is getting more play time than Williams...I'd love to know why he's in the doghouse...attitude issues?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto View Post
    Orton: "I said I wanted CREAM in my latte...*****!"

LOL! It's interesting to me that Hogan is getting more play time than Williams...I'd love to know why he's in the doghouse...attitude issues?
    Maybe he's just not as good as everyone thought.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Maybe you're right...others appear to just be outplaying him:

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bill...lling_dow.html

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Or maybe Hogan is better than anyone thought.