Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whaley and Marrone - Stay the Course

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Whaley and Marrone - Stay the Course

14 going on a probable 15 years of no playoffs points to one obvious conclusion... the Buffalo Bills have had a completely dysfunctional organization. Talented coaches and players have come and gone... and gone on to have the highest level of success working for other teams.

Before the Pegulas start jettisoning talented assets, they would be wise to focus on one thing... fixing this dysfunctional organization. If that isn't step 1, how can they truly be sure they aren't sacking people that can help them achieve a championship. I'm only aware of one major organizational change, but it points to prudent decision making... removing Russ Brandon from football.

My recommendation... hire a President of Football Operations like a Polian or similar and leave Whaley and Marrone in place. Put them in an empowered yet accountable position and allow them to continue what they started. Blowing things up in favor of high-priced, big name hires strikes me as the kind of thing Daniel Snyder would do. It's not time for that. It's time to be prudent and focus 100% focus on building a really good organization.

once that's in place, a proper evaluation of who is going to them achieve their goals can stem from there.

i think we've all seen improvement in this team. Let it continue and invest in it.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (11-25-2014),Don't Panic (11-25-2014),Historian (11-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Whaley and Marrone - Stay the Course

Leaving someone in place as a GM that has made two epic blunders the past two offseasons that is going to cost this team for at least a couple more seasons is hardly a good decision. If he is kept on then don't complain when he performs his encore.

There is no good rationale to leaving Marrone here. While that may not be evident now it will be by the end of December.
    Last edited by Fletch; 11-25-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    1My recommendation... hire a President of Football Operations like a Polian or similar and leave Whaley and Marrone in place..
    You hire a President of Football Operations, you make Whaley and Marrone their decision.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    You hire a President of Football Operations, you make Whaley and Marrone their decision.
    I agree with what you're saying, but to jetison Whaley and Marrone at this point, the new guy would have to have a pretty definitive vision of what he's doing and with whom.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like the Polian idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Polian is up for HOF. He wont take a job this year.

So I would keep Whaley /Marrone for another year to fix this and if they don't ,then we call Polian next year.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, I have to give Marrone credit for this win against the Jets.

It is evident the players play for him.

But I want to see how the rest of the season goes.

9. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (11-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,560 Times in 17,444 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Whaley stays, there shouldn't even be a question about that.
    Marrone is still on trial, let's see how the rest of the season plays out. To a greater extent, the same goes for Hackett.
    I would ditch Morris in a heartbeat.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm still waiting for Pegula to hire his consultant. It won't be Polian, the game has moved along and he's basking (rightfully so) in his twilight.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whaley and Marrone (and unfortunately Brandon) will all get another year. After that, all bets are off.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'm still waiting for Pegula to hire his consultant. It won't be Polian, the game has moved along and he's basking (rightfully so) in his twilight.
    I haven't been following this, has Pegula definitely said he's going to hire a consultant?

If so, he's remiss in not doing so now. Waiting until after the season ends makes no sense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post
    Whaley and Marrone (and unfortunately Brandon) will all get another year. After that, all bets are off.
    I don't expect Brandon to stick around too long, and he'll leave of his own accord more than likely.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Whaley stays, there shouldn't even be a question about that.
    Marrone is still on trial, let's see how the rest of the season plays out. To a greater extent, the same goes for Hackett.
    I would ditch Morris in a heartbeat.
    Morris has his hogs playing well in the last 3 games. The O-line has improved, and they showed it a lot last night against a good D.

The Bills have had an opportunity to win just about every game this season.

They are a few very bad calls and a few fluke plays away from being one of the best teams in the league.

Remember how everyone wanted to fire Danny Crossman after last year?

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

WOW This is one time I totally agree with you Coastal. The big mistake we always make is lets change coaches and **** every 2-3 years.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I haven't been following this, has Pegula definitely said he's going to hire a consultant?

If so, he's remiss in not doing so now. Waiting until after the season ends makes no sense.
    Ernie Accorsi, Mike Holmgren and RonWolf are candidates to become consultants for the Buffalo Bills.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/12/6964687/buffalo-bills-restructure-pegula-mike-holmgren

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Morris has his hogs playing well in the last 3 games. The O-line has improved, and they showed it a lot last night against a good D.

The Bills have had an opportunity to win just about every game this season.

They are a few very bad calls and a few fluke plays away from being one of the best teams in the league.

Remember how everyone wanted to fire Danny Crossman after last year?
    If the offensive line was playing so well the last three games, we'd be talking about being 8-3, not 6-5 and fluke plays away from being 'one of the best'. Position coaches have a lot of say over who starts and who sits...who moves and who doesn't...who stays and who gets cut. Urbik and Pears are on Morris, not Marrone or Hackett. Wood's regression (and to a lesser extent Glenn's) is on Morris, also. Crossman went to Marrone and told him he needed a couple more players, and starters on ST's...and that has worked. Morris already has 'starters', and he's calling who they are and coaching them down.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Ernie Accorsi, Mike Holmgren and RonWolf are candidates to become consultants for the Buffalo Bills.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/12/6964687/buffalo-bills-restructure-pegula-mike-holmgren
    Gawd, please just say NO to Holmgren.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Holmgren did one good thing in Cleveland.... Pat Shurmer

I am 100% against Marrone unless he starts playing more aggressively and creatively. I miss Chan's spread

Thanks
    Thanked 4,351 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

once upon a time, had i made different career choices i might have been someone looking to be in a position to be hired on as the next top guy around here. of course i'm happy with where i am but part of me still says i could do better then the clowns running this dysfunctional mess.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    once upon a time, had i made different career choices i might have been someone looking to be in a position to be hired on as the next top guy around here. of course i'm happy with where i am but part of me still says i could do better then the clowns running this dysfunctional mess.
    We're not looking to replace Dude just yet, and the rest of us disagree this is a dysfunctional mess. Well, except for the Spin Zone...and the main forum...and Spam...and...

23. Post thanked by:

X-Era (11-26-2014)