• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Broke and broken

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
    That's horrible.

It's coming out now that the frequent head trauma caused by playing in the NFL often leads to depression later in life (meaning 40's and 50s.... not what most of us would consider "late" in 21st century America). A few months back, Opie and Anthony (yes, it was still Anthony at the time) were talking about what a mess Tony Dorsett is. He has frequent mood swings and bouts of depression, apparently very similar to Talley's symptoms.

The NFL has too much money and too much medical knowledge to allow this to keep happening.

I'm not so sure about that. It's a violent sport. If there were equipment that could eliminate head trauma they'd be using it. They don't want to be sued

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

After some thought... even more proof in Talley's toughness. Here's hoping this story takes off on a national level and Talley can become a living spokesmen for this problem... and not just another guy who blows his head off.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Brings Thanksgiving into perspective.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
          Don't respond to TacklingTroll please.

Maybe we can have an adult conversation that way
          Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Talley receives a pension from the NFL of around $5082 per month. I do not feel sorry for him that he's "broke".
          No one to blame for his poor financial decision but himself.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

This goes way beyond his financial decisions. This goes into having any quality of life.

This gets into the medical costs associated with his condition. (which very well could be devastating by themselves) This goes into CTE which: “is associated with memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse-control problems, aggression, depression and eventually progressive dementia.”

But throw out a cliche instead of thinking a little more deeply about something.

It's easier that way.

And that does not even get into the way the NFL makes billions off these guys while their bodies are left in tatters.

This is not just about him suing somebody because it's somebody else's fault.

Swiper and TD should try to take more than a cursory glance at this
            Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• pmoon6
              Legendary Zoner
              • Dec 2002

When I read the article on Facebook, I wept.

Darryl Talley was one of my all time favorite Bills. I have his authentic, autographed game jersey personally signed.

I wish there were something I could do except for write the NFL and the Buffalo Bills organization.

Comment

• Swiper
                • Sep 2010

Redneck tears are tainted with entrails of roadkill.

Comment

• imbondz
                  Democrats are people too
                  • Jan 2003

Jesus can give him hope.
                  My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                    .How anyone can make that kind of money and end up having his home foreclosed on is mind-numbing. Yes, the NFL could steer these guys to better financial advice.
                    Agree with that to an extent, but remember, Talley played in the era before stupid money kicked in. Yes, he had more than enough not to have lost his house, but we don't know, maybe he had to take out other mortgages to pay for huge medical bills.

Still, you make a good point that had crossed my mind as well, he should have owned his home outright long before this ever became a problem. Still, that's not really the issue here.

“This is not what he signed up for,” Gabrielle Talley said. “My dad is one of the toughest people you’d ever meet. He’d walk through a wall for you.

“But nobody would sign up to put their brain and their body through that if they knew what the risks were.”
                    The NFL has swept this **** under the rug for decades.

“It’s the NFL culture. As much as I resent my dad for not having his own well-being in mind when he played, that’s what medical professionals are there for. Trainers and doctors went to school for that, to be the responsible voice of reason.”
                    Bull****! Those medical professionals serve the NFL first, the players, the NFL's "property," second.

The ones getting screwed in this are the players that played during Talley's time and before. Now they get stupid money and know what they're up against for the long haul and have a certain amount of support on top of that all. The former players that made the NFL what it is today haven't gotten **** relatively speaking. I forget which former player football commentator it is that said he wouldn't let his son play pro football for this very reason.

The economy ravaged Sentry Barricades in 2008. Some clients went bankrupt. Not only did those contracts evaporate, but so too did the money they owed Talley’s company.

Janine Talley said he tapped his 401k and bought out his NFL pension at 25 percent value to salvage Sentry Barricades, but they still couldn’t honor their vendors or make payroll.
                    The economy ravaged a lot of businesses from 2008-2010 and even since then. While sympathetic, it doesn't seem like the loss of business had much to do with this, it sounds as if it was more economic circumstances. Sometimes you just have to know when to hang up one business and start another. That's usually when you're confronted with cleaning out your retirement accounts and college funds.

What's disturbing is the accounts in the piece of the team's positions, like Wilson supposedly telling Talley that the team doesn't hire former players to coach while they did so with Van Pelt, of all players and a backup, and Metz.

It's a rough business but it is a business first. Anyone not thinking that isn't considering the bigger picture.

Talley is one of my top-2 all-time favorite Bills players. He should have made the Pro-Bowl more than twice and probably should have had All-Pro honors at least once.
                    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                    Originally Posted by pmoon6
                    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post

What's disturbing is the accounts in the piece of the team's positions, like Wilson supposedly telling Talley that the team doesn't hire former players to coach while they did so with Van Pelt, of all players and a backup, and Metz.
                      Could this be racism?

The Talleys couldn’t afford to attend Reed’s induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame last August. Just as Smith, Thomas and Bennett helped with the rent and some of Gabrielle’s college, they picked up the tab to get the Talleys there.

Smith is paying for the Talleys’ health insurance through the Affordable Care Act.

Obamacare sucks.
                      One would think that the NFL would offer health insurance to former players.
                      Maybe that's something the Players union should be fighting for.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Add Talley to a long and ever growing of former players battling life after football that includes debilitating pain, addiction, financial issues, brain trauma, and mental issues. Sadly that list is and will continue to be largely ignored as those players are no longer of use to the NFL machine.

When my wife and I have kids, and if they are boys, I don't think that right now I'd let them play football. I know that's the popular thing to say considering LeBron just said the same thing but this article and the hundreds of others just don't make the risk worth the possible award.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                          When my wife and I have kids, and if they are boys, I don't think that right now I'd let them play football. I know that's the popular thing to say considering LeBron just said the same thing but this article and the hundreds of others just don't make the risk worth the possible award.
                          But if they're girls, like Mangold's sister, you'll let 'em play.

LOL

JK obviously.

I hear ya, it really isn't worth the risks now that they've been known. Down the road, when the current actives retire, there won't be this sympathy due to the obscene money they make. There's definitely less sympathy for players that once made multiple millions per season for years translating to many times the median American career earnings, but are now broke, no short list.
                          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                          Originally Posted by pmoon6
                          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• pmoon6
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Dec 2002

Add Talley to a long and ever growing of former players battling life after football that includes debilitating pain, addiction, financial issues, brain trauma, and mental issues. Sadly that list is and will continue to be largely ignored as those players are no longer of use to the NFL machine.

Well, considering their genetics, they probably won't have the ability. Then again, brain trauma wouldn't be an issue either.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                              Unreachable Douche
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                              Well, considering their genetics, they probably won't have the ability. Then again, brain trauma wouldn't be an issue either.
                              If I had to bet on it, I'd bet they would play soccer.

Comment

• cookie G
                                • Mar 2003

My oldest has one year left before his career is done. He also knows that he's on a 1 and done rule. One concussion and its over. I've talked to his best friend's dad about it, and he said he's on the same rule. If it isn't worth it when you're going to make it to the NFL, it certainly isn't worth it when you're going to get no further than Div II or Div III ball.

There's a kid that was on his team, I've known him and his grandparents since about the 5th grade. The kid had 2 of them AND has a seizure disorder. He actually had a seizure during weight training last winter.

He was still playing in the fall despite 2 of them. The coach stopped playing him, and my son said it was subtle reference to his concussions. He ended up quitting and transferring.

Comment

Working...
                                X