Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bills fans raise money for Talley

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills fans raise money for Talley

In a day and time where so many of our "charitable contributions" are dictated to us via taxes, I would think that people would STFU when somebody actually chooses a cause to donate to.

Just my 2 cents.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,922 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    at that time he cashed in his pension at .25 on the dollar in order to keep the company afloat and his employees employed. he then went into debt trying to keep the business going. eventually despite his efforts the company folded, and burdened by crushing debt he lost his home, could no longer pay his daughter's college tuitions, and basically ended up destitute. his credit is so bad he couldn't even afford the down payment on the home he currently lives in (3 months rent) ~ Biscuit helped him cover it.
    Stupid move, who's fault was that?
    He could have lost his business and still lived happily ever after it he didn't cash in his pension.

3. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (11-30-2014)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Stupid move, who's fault was that?
    He could have lost his business and still lived happily ever after it he didn't cash in his pension.
    An important question is did the symptoms of post concussion syndrome manifest themself when he made that decision?

I think it was less than prudent to mortgage his and his families future to try to bouy a failing business.

Of course, some will say it was just a dumb move, like Drew Brees, and that current players should not subsidize former players mistakes with THEIR money.

If the NFL is truly family, like the propaganda machine tells us, then former players would be taken care of long after they hang them up. However, it seems that former players have to fight for every nickle because of the attitude of current players, the NFL, and their respective teams.

5. Post thanked by:

cookie G (11-30-2014),TacklingDummy (11-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

ive kept quiet about this since the story broke. (pun intended)

while i believe its super nice that fans are helping out talley.

if i made the money he has made in his lifetime i would be ****ing ballling!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and would be just managing my money ive probably made 10% of what he has and i live very comfortable

its very sad that these football players piss their money away through bad luck bad decisions and so on......... but

its a ****ing hard world and they should all be smarter

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    ive kept quiet about this since the story broke. (pun intended)

while i believe its super nice that fans are helping out talley.

if i made the money he has made in his lifetime i would be ****ing ballling!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and would be just managing my money ive probably made 10% of what he has and i live very comfortable

its very sad that these football players piss their money away through bad luck bad decisions and so on......... but

its a ****ing hard world and they should all be smarter
    Sounds like his business was wiped out by the recession, and if so, on that point iI sympathize. Many people lost their businesses around that time. I hear ya though. Remember too though, the salaries really weren't all that high considering back then. Talley left the game just as they started to spiral out-of-control upwards. The real shame here should befall the NFL for not putting better prior era healthcare plans in place.

It's nice that people are helping Talley, and he's always ranked as one of my top favorite Bills players of all-time, even more than Kelly, Thurm, or Reed. But when I read stories like this I too wonder about all the people around that are not of a high profile, many within Buffalo too no doubt, that have equal or even worse circumstances due to no fault of their own and that didn't come close to making as much money in a lifetime, and wondering what they think as they go through what they're going through unnoticed and maybe with no one to even care for them.

I guess that's just the way the world is.
    Last edited by Fletch; 11-30-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

8. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (11-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Not that I don't feel deeply for Talley and think the NFL does not properly care for former players, but I couldn't donate to him while there are people freezing to death and starving on the streets.

The idea that Talley, because he is a celebrity that many of us admire, is more worthy a donation than a guy living in a cardboard box or a single parent struggling to feed children bothers me.

With that core group of players from the 90's, Doc....I don't know if people see it as charitable donation.

People are chipping in to help a family member.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

you guys didn't bother to read the story did you?

talley saved and invested his money from football smartly. eventually he bought a construction company that had 17 employees. when the economy crashed in 2008 his business started to go under. at that time he cashed in his pension at .25 on the dollar in order to keep the company afloat and his employees employed. he then went into debt trying to keep the business going. eventually despite his efforts the company folded, and burdened by crushing debt he lost his home, could no longer pay his daughter's college tuitions, and basically ended up destitute. his credit is so bad he couldn't even afford the down payment on the home he currently lives in (3 months rent) ~ Biscuit helped him cover it.
    I thanked your post Ingtar. I pointed out as well that his business likely went under due to circumstances beyond his control and of the economic variety. At the same time I think that it's valid to question why he cashed out his retirement at a fraction of its worth and savings and kids' college funds instead of simply starting a new business or doing something else that seemed higher profile with it. Businesses often have a life cycle and entrepreneurs often don't know when one has run its course. By the way, I'm just commenting generally, not necessarily critical of Talley.

Still, the comments about the team being family and contributions being entirely voluntary make perfect sense.

I agree with Lechter's comment though.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

you guys didn't bother to read the story did you?

talley saved and invested his money from football smartly. eventually he bought a construction company that had 17 employees. when the economy crashed in 2008 his business started to go under. at that time he cashed in his pension at .25 on the dollar in order to keep the company afloat and his employees employed. he then went into debt trying to keep the business going. eventually despite his efforts the company folded, and burdened by crushing debt he lost his home, could no longer pay his daughter's college tuitions, and basically ended up destitute. his credit is so bad he couldn't even afford the down payment on the home he currently lives in (3 months rent) ~ Biscuit helped him cover it.
    I read it.

As TacklingDummy said, he might have been smart to just let the company go under and not touch his 401k. A retirement account like that is generally shielded from creditors. He would have come out ahead instead of tapping into it.

It happens all the time, is perfectly legal.

But as you say, he had 17 employees, 17 people expecting to receive a paycheck and support their own families. So he cashed in his own accounts to keep them going for a while longer.

Not to be too syrupy, but that sounds very George Baileyish. Its fitting that Bills fans responded like the citizens of Bedford Falls.

It fits the image of him I had wehen he was on the Bills. I saw him as the guy who sacrificed his own personal stats for the good of the D. I think, for example, he would have had a hell of a lot more sacks if he wasn't on a team with Bruce and Bennett, and was uised as a pass rusher more. But that wasn't his style.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Even still, he gets his NFL pension. How about his wife? Can't she work? They could get a flat on Hertel Avenue, she could work at Dash's. They could go to Checker's every night and never pay for a drink the rest of their lives.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.