Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Marrone Deserve to Stay

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,971 Times in 13,316 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Does Marrone Deserve to Stay

If I was Pegula, I'd fire Brandon, Whaley, Marrone and Hackett and give Schwart2 the HC job.

Then go out and hire the best up and comer as GM, telling him that it's his job to give the HC what he needs to win. None of this "I want my own guy as HC" crap.

Schwart2 really impressed me this year with his guts and shemes and especially his demeanor.

The players obviously like to play for him, so you're not ripping up what's already there.

And we need a better qb.
    Last edited by CommissarSpartacus; 12-22-2014 at 05:26 AM.
    My tebya razdavim

2. Post thanked by:

cookie G (12-22-2014),Historian (12-22-2014),jimmifli (12-22-2014),Night Train (12-22-2014),YardRat (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,640 Times in 17,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, taking any emotion out of the reply...

Yes, Marrone deserves to stay for a third season, the team has shown improvement over his two season tenure even though it hasn't been drastically supported by the W-L column. Year 1, and into Year 2 the defense continued to get better. Year 2, the Special Teams improved. The organization now needs to continue building and see similar improvement on the offensive side of the ball for Year 3, and if the past couple of seasons are any indication it's something that we should actually expect. Everybody knew when Marrone came on board the defense sucked, and it was addressed. Everybody knew last season the ST's sucked and it was addressed. Everybody knows the offense blows and the team is thin on talent at QB and on the oline, so it will most likely be addressed.

I'm with DraftBoy's post, the front office (unless Brandon leaves on his own, which I expect if not this year then next) will stay intact, and the coaching staff will probably remain the same except for Morris, although IMO Hackett and Downing need to be put through some extensive scrutiny this off-season. Yeah, I know I'm not a coach on the sidelines with shiny credentials and a resume but I know enough about line schemes that there were way too many times when I wondered why in the hell the linemen were making certain steps or reads, enough to be pretty confident that a good portion of the issue with the trench is Morris flat out sucks.

Putting emotion back into the equation, I'm still pissed at the sonofa***** for not having the team amped for yesterday's game and drowning any opportunity we had left for the playoffs, and it's a hard lesson the bastard better have learned from.
    Last edited by YardRat; 12-22-2014 at 05:26 AM.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    If I was Pegula, I'd fire Brandon, Whaley, Marrone and Hackett and give Schwart2 the HC job.

Then go out and hire the best up and comer as GM, telling him that it's his job to give the HC what he needs to win. None of this "I want my own guy as HC" crap.

Schwart2 really impressed me this year with his guts and shemes and especially his demeanor.

The players obviously like to play for him, so you're not ripping up what's already there.

And we need a better qb.
    They probably have the best up-and-comer GM already on the staff in Whaley, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the rest of that plan if that's how it shakes out.

6. Post thanked by:

better days (12-22-2014)

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,971 Times in 13,316 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    They probably have the best up-and-comer GM already on the staff in Whaley, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the rest of that plan if that's how it shakes out.
    As long as Whaley understands it's not "his team".

Marrone and Hackett are both vanilla, Schwart2 is spicy. I really wonder what the dynamic between Schwart2 and Marrone is like. I bet Schwart2 has to hold his tongue a bunch...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Like others have said, if he fires Hackett then I'd bring him back.
    Oh no!...We suck again!

9. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

and hell no to Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Marrone and Hackett are both vanilla, Schwart2 is spicy. I really wonder what the dynamic between Schwart2 and Marrone is like. I bet Schwart2 has to hold his tongue a bunch...
    Yeah, there were times this season I was getting the Mike Ditka/Buddy Ryan vibe.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why exactly do we want to give Schwartz another shot at HC after his team basically self destructed and quit on him in Detroit?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

13. Post thanked by:

Don't Panic (12-22-2014)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,460 Times in 15,557 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have no problem with Schwartz getting promoted, and in fact if Ralph were still alive, you know that would be the plan.

With the Pegulas I'm not so sure.

But consider this:

A. This is the best team the Bills have fielded in a long time, in year two of the latest re-build.

B. You can't hang the last 15 years on the current administration. Only this year and last.

It's been so long since we have been in the playoffs that people want to keep blowing it up when things don't work out quicker then we would like.

I expect the next level in 2015.

So tweek the team....but don't blow it up.

15. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-22-2014),YardRat (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Marrone technically deserves to stay, the entire offensive and special teams staff deserves to be shown the door.

17. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I think the entire staff stays, except for Pat Morris.

Same goes for the Front Office.
    You are probably correct in this regard. I hope Marrone has the guts to do so.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Marrone technically deserves to stay, the entire offensive and special teams staff deserves to be shown the door.
    We were much better on ST this year than last, top 10 in DVOA. We were **** yesterday however.

I'm not worried about losing Schwartz, he won't get another HC job this soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    So, if a unit plays well, it's because of the coordinator and another doesn't, it's the HC. I disliked some of the play calling, but you have to hold some of the players accountable. The O-Line constantly missed blocks in both the running game and the passing game. You had a rookie at RT and sub par guards, so it's no wonder that our running game fizzled even with Fred Jackson, who was obviously not 100% after the injury. I'm not a C.J fan, he seems to go down too easy despite making an occasional game breaking play. How long has the O-Line been playing together again? That unit specifically takes time to develop.

Forgive me if I don't put much credence in Bills' Fans assessment of coaches. They rode Gilbride out on a rail (not really a fan of his) and then he goes on to win two Super Bowls with the Giants.

A coach is only as good as his players. We need better pass protection and a couple of nasty guards.....and a QB. You think Adam Gates or Josh McDaniels are great OCs'? No, they are successful because of their players and QBs'.

Bottom line is all this complaining is part of the Modern American psyche. Don't get what you want immediately and the crying begins. Don't make the playoffs after two years of a new HC and program and off with their heads. Constant turnover has been one of our problems, but let's keep doing it until we win the SB within two years of a new regime. We can go into the psychological aspects of the modern NFL fan, but that would require too much time.

Shame really.

I doubt any of you would be employed if you were but under a microscope by a bunch of people that know nothing about your profession except for wins and losses.

Results, Kemosabe. Improvement and competitiveness mean nothing. If our gladiators don't win in the arena, there must be something terribly wrong.
    I agree with what you are saying to an extent but too much is just not good or gotten worse under Marrone.

QB position
    OL that can't block on run plays, pass plays or screens -- Glenn, Urbik and Wood were all good at this previously -- why not keep Pears at RT and Urbik at G. Henderson was bad all year he just got help and when he didn't he was bad. Mack had a breakout game against him and they never figured out to give him help on that side. `

He chose a OC that was not qualified

He benched players that could have helped us

Our offense has no solution AT ALL to somewhat overcome our bad OL -- how can he not devise something together with the OC that can help move the offense? We weren't playing against the Seattle D yesterday. The answer was obvious. Protect against mack with double and triple teams and throw downfield against a weak secondary with the time Orton will have in the pocket.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Stranger View Post
    You are probably correct in this regard. I hope Marrone has the guts to do so.
    So the only guy to be held accountable for the offensive mess is a lowly OL coach who was working with junk?

22. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (12-23-2014),cookie G (12-22-2014),jimmifli (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Marrone stays, which OC comes here? To work with what QB? Marrone's looking like a lame duck, hard to hire a quality OC when you're the least desirable spot.

24. Post thanked by:

better days (12-22-2014),CommissarSpartacus (12-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    So the only guy to be held accountable for the offensive mess is a lowly OL coach who was working with junk?
    It's called a scapegoat for a reason...

Also some of these same players weren't junk under previous coaching staffs. Something here isn't adding up.

26. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I still think Hackett stays. Pat Morris, the OL Coach, will be the casualty and possibly Tyrone Wheatley (RB Coach) as well.

I think the biggest worry right now is that somebody goes after Schwartz for a HC gig in the off-season.
    This is what you believe should happen or what you think will happen?

Morris is the last guy to go IMO. Marrone and Hackett shat the bed more than he did. Even Whaley has a heavy hand in the destruction of the offense.

Let's examine our defense.. who chose our best players...

KW, MW, Dareus, trade for Hughes, Bradham, Gilmore, McKelvin, Aaron Williams, Searcy, --> none of those were chosen by the Marrone/Whaley combo... Kiko, Brown were only two guys drafted by our current guys

Our D has been led entirely by two very good DC.

On the other hand our O has gone from bad to worse under Marrone, personnel has gotten worse and play calling has been shocking at best. So wondering how this current regime has brought any improvement? Our D that another GM built is the reason we have 8 wins. Our O which is supposed to be the area of expertise of our HC has been a disaster.

As an example --> Rex Ryan always has good defenses and since Payton has been in NO from day one he had a good offense. For those guys it makes sense to keep them and improve the other side of the ball.
    Last edited by Mahdi; 12-22-2014 at 07:49 AM.

28. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (12-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    So, if a unit plays well, it's because of the coordinator and another doesn't, it's the HC. I disliked some of the play calling, but you have to hold some of the players accountable. The O-Line constantly missed blocks in both the running game and the passing game. You had a rookie at RT and sub par guards, so it's no wonder that our running game fizzled even with Fred Jackson, who was obviously not 100% after the injury. I'm not a C.J fan, he seems to go down too easy despite making an occasional game breaking play. How long has the O-Line been playing together again? That unit specifically takes time to develop.

Forgive me if I don't put much credence in Bills' Fans assessment of coaches. They rode Gilbride out on a rail (not really a fan of his) and then he goes on to win two Super Bowls with the Giants.

A coach is only as good as his players. We need better pass protection and a couple of nasty guards.....and a QB. You think Adam Gates or Josh McDaniels are great OCs'? No, they are successful because of their players and QBs'.

Bottom line is all this complaining is part of the Modern American psyche. Don't get what you want immediately and the crying begins. Don't make the playoffs after two years of a new HC and program and off with their heads. Constant turnover has been one of our problems, but let's keep doing it until we win the SB within two years of a new regime. We can go into the psychological aspects of the modern NFL fan, but that would require too much time.

Shame really.

I doubt any of you would be employed if you were but under a microscope by a bunch of people that know nothing about your profession except for wins and losses.

Results, Kemosabe. Improvement and competitiveness mean nothing. If our gladiators don't win in the arena, there must be something terribly wrong.
    Well, I blame the Coaching & scheme more than the players for the OL failure this year.

Even guys like Glenn & Wood had bad years this year & we have seen both of them play very well when Chan was HC.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

how about this angle on marrone

do people actually think he didnt have a part in drafting EJ? lol he was the head coach when we drafted EJ!!!! i guarantee he had some form of input on drafting EJ.

31. Post thanked by:

better days (12-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't remember which game it was, but on a 4th & short play there was a sideline shot of Schwartz & Marrone.

You could see Schwartz saying to Marrone "go for it". Marrone punted instead.

Yesterday, the Bills were behind & faced 4th & one yd at about midfield. Again Marrone punted.

A short time later, the Raiders were in the same situation & went for it, picking up the first down.

I see the Bills finishing 8-8 & IMO that is no improvement at all. I want Marrone fired.

33. Post thanked by:

Historian (12-22-2014)