Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So why the Dareus verdict hasn't been handed down yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So why the Dareus verdict hasn't been handed down yet?

Just wondering if there is an investigation is going on. I'm sure the Bills brass would like to know as soon as possible.

2. Post thanked by:

Skooby (05-15-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,215 Times in 3,684 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: So why the Dareus verdict hasn't been handed down yet?

Parking tickets investigation ?? I think that the whole Pats / Deflate thing has delayed if not derailed anything coming for Dareus, what are they going to say about parking tickets anyways ??

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Thanked 5,124 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What case? He got nailed for having "spice," a felony (for some reason), but cooperated with the court's pre-trial diversion program (for non-violent first offenders) and got it wiped. Not to mention "spice" isn't banned by the NFL. Since he cooperated and did what the courts asked, it's not an issue. And getting parking tickets isn't enough to suspend him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

wtf

Thanks
    Thanked 3,431 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think Dareus is going to get one game for the possession arrest and 1 game for the street racing. Bradham had a minor possession incident a couple summers ago that got dismissed, but the NFL still suspended him for 1 game a year later. I think suspending Dareus at this point for anything is BS, but that's how the league operates. I don't see him avoiding suspension.

8. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I think Dareus is going to get one game for the possession arrest and 1 game for the street racing. Bradham had a minor possession incident a couple summers ago that got dismissed, but the NFL still suspended him for 1 game a year later. I think suspending Dareus at this point for anything is BS, but that's how the league operates. I don't see him avoiding suspension.
    The differences are Bradham got off on a technicality whereas Dareus complied, and a traffic ticket isn't a suspendable offense. If they start suspending players for getting speeding tickets, the NFLPA would go ape spit.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,431 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    The differences are Bradham got off on a technicality whereas Dareus complied, and a traffic ticket isn't a suspendable offense. If they start suspending players for getting speeding tickets, the NFLPA would go ape spit.
    I think you're giving the NFL too much credit for being reasonable. I don't know that the legal outcome matters. Both Bradham and Dareus were arrested for having an illegal substance in their vehicle. When it comes to player conduct I don't think there are specific rules about convictions or technicalities or whatever. The NFL just decides as they go. The NFLPA can go as ape spit as they want, but that's the CBA that they agreed to.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm still amazed at how people are willing to downplay Dareus' crash. If there wasn't a tree planted on that sidewalk, he could have gone right through the front window of a restaurant at lunchtime. He should consider himself goddamned lucky he didn't kill anyone.

If the league suspends players for DUI, they should suspend him for the street racing.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

12. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (05-19-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I'm still amazed at how people are willing to downplay Dareus' crash. If there wasn't a tree planted on that sidewalk, he could have gone right through the front window of a restaurant at lunchtime. He should consider himself goddamned lucky he didn't kill anyone.

If the league suspends players for DUI, they should suspend him for the street racing.
    Then they should suspend everyone who speeds. Because they could potentially kill someone and they're just lucky they didn't. Think that's going to happen?

If anything, he might get suspended for the synthetic pot. But since he complied with the courts and voluntarily entered the drug testing program, he likely won't.

14. Post thanked by:

better days (05-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Then they should suspend everyone who speeds. Because they could potentially kill someone and they're just lucky they didn't. Think that's going to happen?
    You guys realize he wasn't just pulled over for doing 69 in a 65 zone right? He was speeding so excessively that his precision tuned sports car lost control on dry pavement and skidded through oncoming traffic, through a parking lot, and into a tree.

Maybe if he had broken his leg and missed some games people would see this for the recklessness it was.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,668 Times in 17,515 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think he would have hit the building even if the tree wasn't there.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You guys realize he wasn't just pulled over for doing 69 in a 65 zone right? He was speeding so excessively that his precision tuned sports car lost control on dry pavement and skidded through oncoming traffic, through a parking lot, and into a tree.

Maybe if he had broken his leg and missed some games people would see this for the recklessness it was.
    Sure it was reckless. So too is speeding.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sure it was reckless. So too is speeding.
    There are degrees of recklessness, which is why there are degrees of punishment for it. This falls on the higher end of the scale, just like drunk driving.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe he's just a bad driver, lol.

I hit a tree when I was his age too.

20. Post thanked by:

better days (05-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There are degrees of recklessness, which is why there are degrees of punishment for it. This falls on the higher end of the scale, just like drunk driving.
    Just as first degree murder is reduced to manslaughter in many cases, this case was reduced.

Therefore it is not as big a deal as you want it to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Maybe he's just a bad driver, lol.

I hit a tree when I was his age too.
    As did my cousin, he is lucky to be alive.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Just as first degree murder is reduced to manslaughter in many cases, this case was reduced.

Therefore it is not as big a deal as you want it to be.
    I don't want it to be a big deal, I want to point out that many people here are perfectly content to downplay it because he got lucky.

And like I also said, everyone's opinions on this would be flipped 180 degrees if he had broken his leg and missed playing time. He'd be pilloried and rightly so.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't want it to be a big deal, I want to point out that many people here are perfectly content to downplay it because he got lucky.

And like I also said, everyone's opinions on this would be flipped 180 degrees if he had broken his leg and missed playing time. He'd be pilloried and rightly so.
    Seems to me you are doing a fine job of pillorying him as is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Of course. If he'd killed someone peoples' opinions would also change. But again, you can't punish people based on what might have happened. And drag racing is little more than speeding. Why it's a felony compared to speeding is anyone's guess, but like with crack versus powdered cocaine, the penalty might have been worse because it mostly involved a certain demographic or economic level.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Seems to me you are doing a fine job of pillorying him as is.
    Yes, I am. For being outrageously reckless.

Of course. If he'd killed someone peoples' opinions would also change. But again, you can't punish people based on what might have happened.
    We can and do all the time. If you get pulled over for DUI, try telling the cop or the judge that you can't punish me because I haven't hit anyone.

You punish people for acting recklessly. Obviously you punish them worse if that recklessness leads to consequences, but neither the traffic law nor NFL disclipine are a "No harm, no foul" situation.

And drag racing is little more than speeding. Why it's a felony compared to speeding is anyone's guess, but like with crack versus powdered cocaine, the penalty might have been worse because it mostly involved a certain demographic or economic level.
    I haven't seen drag racing considered a felony, the punishment I saw was 30 days in jail. But it is significantly more than speeding. Most speeding tickets are given out for going like 10-15 MPH over the limit. That is indeed dangerous. But street racers can easily hit 40-50 MPH over the limit, and Dareus likely did considering he lost control.

I said it before and I'll repeat it: If they suspend players for DUI, they should suspend him for street racing.
    Last edited by IlluminatusUIUC; 05-21-2015 at 01:23 PM.