Page 52 of 92 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1829

Thread: 2023-2024 Buffalo Sabres gameday thread !!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,622 Times in 12,130 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 2023-2024 Buffalo Sabres gameday thread !!

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Said it before, I'll say it again: Unless and until Terry Pegula sells the Sabres(and ONLY them), NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

On a sidebar, Sabres prospect Matt Savoie was traded from Wenatchee to Moose Jaw in the WHL.
    Terry isn't going to sell the team, unfortunately. It's just not on his radar. The whole team isn't on his radar while the new bills stadium was built.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Okposo week to week with injury

Thanks
    Thanked 12,493 Times in 7,332 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No loss.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TheConsigliere View Post
    The rumour is the Sabres have been up for sale for a couple of years but no interested buyer has stepped forward.

I wonder if Terry has approached Gary Bettman about Gary retiring as NHL President and buying the Sabres personally?

Win-Win.

After all, when the Sabres went BANKRUPT, Gary single-handedly kept the Sabres in Buffalo going to odd extent of the NHL owning the Sabres for a while.

The short bastard did the same for a ice hockey team in desert.

On the other hand, a vibrant fan base of over 1M people builds a new NHL quality hockey arena in Quebec City but Napoleon Complex Gary won’t allow it.

If Canadians simply boycotted going to Sabre games for one year, the Sabres would be gone.
    Not even the Homers disagree with this.

I wish it wasn’t so for the sake of long suffering Sabres fans but the above is reality.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    No loss.
    I dont know. He's upped his game recently. But ultimately, if it gets someone going in the lineup, you're right.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,407 Times in 13,792 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not even the Homers disagree with this.

I wish it wasn’t so for the sake of long suffering Sabres fans but the above is reality.
    It's just depressing now. In the 70's they had the French Connection line. I wasn't really following them in the 80's but they made the playoffs far more often than not. During the 90's, they had exciting teams with Mogilny, LaFontaine, Hasek, Ray as the enforcer, etc. There were some lean years in the early 00's with all the ownership issues but after the lockout, they had the Briere/Drury teams that seem to score at will. I was never thrilled by the Roy/Vanek/Pominville teams that came after, but at least those teams made the playoffs a couple times.

None of these teams were dominant or ever won a single Cup, but at least they were competitive. At least they were in the playoff hunt and making it into the playoffs. At least they were fun to watch.

Now, I don't know what the **** is going on. On paper, they have some exciting players- Tage, Skinner, Cozens, Benson, Dahlin, Powers, etc.- but on the ice, it's lackluster.
    And, looking back at the playoff drought years, there have been some talented players that were here. But the team never seems to get it together. Everything else has changed so it's clear that the problem was ownership.

I remember our frustration with Golisano and how he never wanted to pay anyone. Turns out he was a far better owner than Pegula. At least his penny-pinching teams could make the playoffs.

7. Post thanked by:

TheConsigliere (01-03-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It's just depressing now. In the 70's they had the French Connection line. I wasn't really following them in the 80's but they made the playoffs far more often than not. During the 90's, they had exciting teams with Mogilny, LaFontaine, Hasek, Ray as the enforcer, etc. There were some lean years in the early 00's with all the ownership issues but after the lockout, they had the Briere/Drury teams that seem to score at will. I was never thrilled by the Roy/Vanek/Pominville teams that came after, but at least those teams made the playoffs a couple times.

None of these teams were dominant or ever won a single Cup, but at least they were competitive. At least they were in the playoff hunt and making it into the playoffs. At least they were fun to watch.

Now, I don't know what the **** is going on. On paper, they have some exciting players- Tage, Skinner, Cozens, Benson, Dahlin, Powers, etc.- but on the ice, it's lackluster.
    And, looking back at the playoff drought years, there have been some talented players that were here. But the team never seems to get it together. Everything else has changed so it's clear that the problem was ownership.

I remember our frustration with Golisano and how he never wanted to pay anyone. Turns out he was a far better owner than Pegula. At least his penny-pinching teams could make the playoffs.
    I'm not really sure why we are talking about ownership outside the fact they have zero accountability so long as youre in the boys club. But we were singing praises not long ago when the Sabres FO finally went to analytics and built a new core.

So, Pegula owns this drought. But at least he's not in the room calling the shots anymore. Now he just needs to hold the FO and team accountable. It's like he can't figure out the right amount of pressure or attention to give the team. I'm not sure if the apparent lack of attention is because he's focused on the Bills, or his wife's health, or simply learning to get out of the way (remember, he was instrumental in signing Hall, and always tried to steal scouts and the GM to draft guys he liked.)

But as long as he's writing checks, it is what it is. And he's Def still writing checks.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    I'm not really sure why we are talking about ownership outside the fact they have zero accountability so long as youre in the boys club. But we were singing praises not long ago when the Sabres FO finally went to analytics and built a new core.

So, Pegula owns this drought. But at least he's not in the room calling the shots anymore. Now he just needs to hold the FO and team accountable. It's like he can't figure out the right amount of pressure or attention to give the team. I'm not sure if the apparent lack of attention is because he's focused on the Bills, or his wife's health, or simply learning to get out of the way (remember, he was instrumental in signing Hall, and always tried to steal scouts and the GM to draft guys he liked.)

But as long as he's writing checks, it is what it is. And he's Def still writing checks.
    But isn't that part of the problem? Pegula has been writing checks since the day he bought the team and it hasn't brought results.

Now, it's not so much checks to the players as it is checks to the FO and coaches. They keep getting paid even though it's clearly not working.

Like I've said before: this is not a championship level roster, but it's way too good to only have 34 points in 38 games. It's too good to have almost zero shot at the playoffs at the end of December. But nothing has changed.

This is a wasted season. It was supposed to be the year that we returned to the playoffs. We most likely would have gotten killed in the first round, but at least we'd be there. At least the young guys would get another year under their belt and get a little playoff experience, then next off-season we could get a couple pieces in FA and actually be competitive next season. We're clearly 2 steps behind that. This season is just treading water.

But everyone still gets checks. Everyone still has their job. There is no accountability.

I have a friend from when I lived in Northern VA who's a Caps fan. He's never been to Buffalo or Niagara Falls and he's been bugging me to go up when the Caps are in town to see the game. I'm overdue for a trip to WNY to visit some people but I just can't bring myself to spend money on this perennial **** show. All the losing has made it so hard to enjoy the game and I don't want them profiting off of me.

I'm really just venting my frustration with this team. At this point, it's hard to know who to blame really, but GM's, coaches and players have changed. The only thing that has been consistent is ownership and poor results.

10. Post thanked by:

TheConsigliere (01-03-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

But isn't that part of the problem? Pegula has been writing checks since the day he bought the team and it hasn't brought results.

Now, it's not so much checks to the players as it is checks to the FO and coaches. They keep getting paid even though it's clearly not working.

Like I've said before: this is not a championship level roster, but it's way too good to only have 34 points in 38 games. It's too good to have almost zero shot at the playoffs at the end of December. But nothing has changed.

This is a wasted season. It was supposed to be the year that we returned to the playoffs. We most likely would have gotten killed in the first round, but at least we'd be there. At least the young guys would get another year under their belt and get a little playoff experience, then next off-season we could get a couple pieces in FA and actually be competitive next season. We're clearly 2 steps behind that. This season is just treading water.

But everyone still gets checks. Everyone still has their job. There is no accountability.

I have a friend from when I lived in Northern VA who's a Caps fan. He's never been to Buffalo or Niagara Falls and he's been bugging me to go up when the Caps are in town to see the game. I'm overdue for a trip to WNY to visit some people but I just can't bring myself to spend money on this perennial **** show. All the losing has made it so hard to enjoy the game and I don't want them profiting off of me.

I'm really just venting my frustration with this team. At this point, it's hard to know who to blame really, but GM's, coaches and players have changed. The only thing that has been consistent is ownership and poor results.
    You're not alone. Pegula has been a disaster. And I know a lot of fans want him to sell the team. I'm one of them. But I don't think that's the only solution. If pegs decided to change his ownership style, that would be a help too. Whether or not he does that remains to be seen. But that's the most likely scenario at this time. I'm not saying "be patient" because as a fan base, we've been patient. But I also know I'm not going to stop loving this franchise. So. It is what it is.

That said, I am seeing encouraging signs of that, off the ice. One thing I've always asked about was the state of the arena. It's a dump. And people said it was going to remain a dump until the Bills stadium situation was finalized. And what happened? Bills stadium breaks ground and the Sabres announce a renovation study and upgrades to take place next summer.

So, in short. Terry hasn't forgotten about us. He hears the fans. The biggest question is does he have the intelligence to and desire to make the team a respectable franchise that demands results? Don't know. I'll be 40 this year and the last time I saw the sabres in a playoff series, I was in my mid 20s. That's a long time and terry still hasn't learned how to own a team. I don't expect that to change, but I can hope.

12. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (01-03-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You're not alone. Pegula has been a disaster. And I know a lot of fans want him to sell the team. I'm one of them. But I don't think that's the only solution. If pegs decided to change his ownership style, that would be a help too. Whether or not he does that remains to be seen. But that's the most likely scenario at this time. I'm not saying "be patient" because as a fan base, we've been patient. But I also know I'm not going to stop loving this franchise. So. It is what it is.

That said, I am seeing encouraging signs of that, off the ice. One thing I've always asked about was the state of the arena. It's a dump. And people said it was going to remain a dump until the Bills stadium situation was finalized. And what happened? Bills stadium breaks ground and the Sabres announce a renovation study and upgrades to take place next summer.

So, in short. Terry hasn't forgotten about us. He hears the fans. The biggest question is does he have the intelligence to and desire to make the team a respectable franchise that demands results? Don't know. I'll be 40 this year and the last time I saw the sabres in a playoff series, I was in my mid 20s. That's a long time and terry still hasn't learned how to own a team. I don't expect that to change, but I can hope.
    We moved from Northern VA to Baltimore 12 years ago. I've never watched a Sabres playoff game from Baltimore. That's depressing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We moved from Northern VA to Baltimore 12 years ago. I've never watched a Sabres playoff game from Baltimore. That's depressing.
    Extremely. I moved to Grand rapids 11 years ago. Same thing.

And believe me. I hate what Pegula has done to this team. But I also have to be realistic about it because Pegula is the owner and the team is worth between 750 and 900 million. So even if it was for sale (and there's nothing to suggest they are) it would take a while to find a buyer.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 4,909 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Terry isn't going to sell the team, unfortunately. It's just not on his radar. The whole team isn't on his radar while the new bills stadium was built.
    Then we are doomed to being mid...or WORSE...for as long as he's the owner.
    John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
    David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

16. Post thanked by:

TheConsigliere (01-04-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Extremely. I moved to Grand rapids 11 years ago. Same thing.

And believe me. I hate what Pegula has done to this team. But I also have to be realistic about it because Pegula is the owner and the team is worth between 750 and 900 million. So even if it was for sale (and there's nothing to suggest they are) it would take a while to find a buyer.
    Or a GROUP of buyers. MAYBE(and I'm just throwing out a name here)Ryan Reynolds could be part of the ownership group? His name did pop up as a prospective owner when Ottawa was in the process of being sold. And he certainly has the money to be involved in it.
    Last edited by ckg927; 01-04-2024 at 04:11 PM.

18. Post thanked by:

TheConsigliere (01-04-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres prospect Matt Savoie was traded from the WHL's Wenatchee Wild to the Moose Jaw Warriors. The Wild are getting a LOT of draft picks for him. To wit...

2024: 1st, 3rd & 6th
    2025: 8th
    2026: 6th
    2027: 1st & 4th

BTW, that wasn't the ONLY Wild player dealt; Conor Geekie is heading to Swift Current. In that case, Wenatchee gets 3 players and 4 draft picks.

The weird thing is, Wenatchee is 2nd in the Western Conference despite all the off-ice drama this season. Moose Jaw is 3rd in the Eastern Conference and Swift Current is 6th.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Then we are doomed to being mid...or WORSE...for as long as he's the owner.
    Terry isn't going to sell the team unless someone offers it's value. He bought the team for well under 200 mil, and it's worth 750-900 mil now.

We can only hope he learns his lesson and starts treating the team properly. Or the Sabres luck into success. Which....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Or a GROUP of buyers. MAYBE(and I'm just throwing out a name here)Ryan Reynolds could be part of the ownership group? His name did pop up as a prospective owner when Ottawa was in the process of being sold. And he certainly has the money to be involved in it.
    He does and he did buy into an English soccer team so even though he is Canadian and has no connection to the Buffalo area it is possible.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He does and he did buy into an English soccer team so even though he is Canadian and has no connection to the Buffalo area it is possible.
    I thought it was common knowledge that all Canadians want to own a hockey team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Perhaps. But the point is the team has to be for sale. It's not that anyone knows of. It's like talking about the parade route for the Detroit Lions. It's not reality

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I thought it was common knowledge that all Canadians want to own a hockey team.
    Sure.

I personally own a Tyke team that plays in the Moose Jaw house league.

I pay the players in orange slices and the occasional Tim Hortons Timbits.

The new professional woman’s league has one owner for all of the six teams.

Maybe he can trade all 6 teams to Terry in return for the Sabres.

That symbol of progressiveness would meet Kim’s approval.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Levi starting.