Thread: Murphy officially stepping down

Thanks
    Thanked 30,648 Times in 17,503 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Murphy officially stepping down

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/lo...by-play-duties

John Murphy, the longtime play-by-play 'Voice of the Buffalo Bills', announced he is stepping away from his position ahead of the 2024 season.

Murphy spent the last 35 years on the radio broadcast for the Bills, including 16 years as a color analyst (1984-1989 & 1994-2003) and the last 19 years as the play-by-play announcer (2004-2022). The Lockport, NY native is still leaving the door open to be involved in the game day broadcast in a different capacity.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 4,377 Times in 2,101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Murphy officially stepping down

never liked him, never understood why the bills hired him as either color or play by play.

still it's interesting. any word on who is replacing him?
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

3. Post thanked by:

Oaf (05-10-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,648 Times in 17,503 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Chris Brown filled in for him last season after the stroke, I assume he'll stay in the position.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    never liked him, never understood why the bills hired him as either color or play by play.

I agree, I feel bad as to the reason for him not coming back but I never liked him as the color or play by play guy. They say it’s hard to come in after a legend like Van, but Murphy never came close!

BTW, I hope they don’t bring Tasker back, he was horrible!
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Thanks
    Thanked 7,692 Times in 6,228 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Best of health John.

1) Ari 2)@ Mia 3) Jac 4)@ Bal 5)@ Hou 6)@ Jet 7) Ten 8)@ Sea 9) Mia 10) @ Colts 11) KC 12) Bye 13) SF 14)@ LAR 15)@ Det 16) Pats 17) Jets 18)@ Pats

Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 Times in 7,826 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So sad.

I have not listened to the radio broadcast very much for years. I grew up with Van Miller since I listed to him for every home game when blackout rule was in force.

A few times (over 5-6 years ago) when I was on to road working on Sundays I would use the NFL+ feature of live radio broadcast. Murph was good, but not Van Miller. That man was an icon!!!

This year I could not watch the New Years Eve game vs NE, and instead of waiting until the game was over to watch it on NFL+, I used the live radio feature.

Chris Brown was terrible. Very hard to listen to. The timbre of his voice was grating to me, besides his inept descriptions.

Here' hoping that Murph's health improves.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,914 Times in 3,545 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Seriously?

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,483 Times in 15,571 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Murph was okay....wish him well.

I grew up listening to Al Meltzer, Rick Azar and Ed Rutkowski.

Years later, while working in Philly, I met Meltzer one evening at a work function....told him I grew up listening to him call Bills games in the 70's.

His eyes lit up. He told me he and his wife loved Buffalo, the people, the food, everything.....except the weather. just couldn't take the cold.

So he waves his wife over. "Honey, this is Dave....he's from Buffalo!'

She says..."Oh we loved Buffalo. the people, the fans, the food, all of it. We just couldn't take the cold, so we moved back to Philly"

Nice people.

10. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (05-10-2024),notacon (05-11-2024)

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I too am sad this is the reason, but I never caught a liking for his announcing. I'm too young for Van Miller's time, but absolutely love his voice on the highlights I've seen.

The things I get you to say Gibby 2.0's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,086 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Van Miller he was not. He was okay, but not iconic. Still damn, not being able to do something you love (and broadcasting Bills games had to be dream job for him) because of a damned stroke. Strokes are horrible things. Mom had one a few years back and they are ****ing life altering. Mom recovered and I hope Murph did because strokes are awful. So get well Murph and hope you have a great remaining few decades.
    Insert whimsical line here

13. Post thanked by:

T&C (05-12-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,487 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Brownie is probably one the best play by play guys I've ever heard. Fits perfect, he can keep the job.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,377 Times in 2,101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    Brownie is probably one the best play by play guys I've ever heard. Fits perfect, he can keep the job.
    I remember being in buffalo during the 90's back during my first marriage listening to i think it was "chris brown" do play by play for the UB Bulls... he was not good.

But that was almost 30 years ago. and my memory might be very very wrong on that. for some reason though when i hear chris brown i associate him with the UB Bulls play by play guy. Maybe he did play by play for the Bulls years later or something and i'm forgetting who i heard. but for some reason i think it was chris brown in the 90s...

now this is going to bother me. anyone know if he did play by play for the UB Bulls in the 90s? or maybe the Bisons? or purhaps the Bandits? I'm pretty sure it was the UB Bulls... but it might have been some other sport i guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,487 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I remember being in buffalo during the 90's back during my first marriage listening to i think it was "chris brown" do play by play for the UB Bulls... he was not good.

But that was almost 30 years ago. and my memory might be very very wrong on that. for some reason though when i hear chris brown i associate him with the UB Bulls play by play guy. Maybe he did play by play for the Bulls years later or something and i'm forgetting who i heard. but for some reason i think it was chris brown in the 90s...

now this is going to bother me. anyone know if he did play by play for the UB Bulls in the 90s? or maybe the Bisons? or purhaps the Bandits? I'm pretty sure it was the UB Bulls... but it might have been some other sport i guess.
    I think his excitement into the way he narrates the plays is fantastic, very likeable. No idea about UB, we all evolve in some ways.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Murph was okay....wish him well.

I grew up listening to Al Meltzer, Rick Azar and Ed Rutkowski.

Years later, while working in Philly, I met Meltzer one evening at a work function....told him I grew up listening to him call Bills games in the 70's.

His eyes lit up. He told me he and his wife loved Buffalo, the people, the food, everything.....except the weather. just couldn't take the cold.

So he waves his wife over. "Honey, this is Dave....he's from Buffalo!'

She says..."Oh we loved Buffalo. the people, the fans, the food, all of it. We just couldn't take the cold, so we moved back to Philly"

Nice people.
    After Van Miller retired, he was on a (old farts) travel group (I can't remember where...China or New Zealand I think) that my dad was on. These trips went on for at least two to three weeks as 25 to 30 people traveled together on a guided tour.

He said that Van was the nicest man, not at all full of himself and a wonderful group travel companion. The trip used a bus to get from place to place within the country they were visiting, and my dad took video of one time that Van got up in the front of the bus, and put on his professional Bills voice and persona and called the trip like he was recapping a game, mentioning fellow travelers by name and recounting the great stuff they did together.

It was hilarious. I have not seen it for years since it was done in the 90's. After my dad passed in 2008 I got hold of all his video originals. My intention is to digitize them all and I'm looking forward to finding that snippet.

18. Post thanked by:

Gibby 2.0 (05-11-2024),Historian (05-13-2024),sahlensguy (05-11-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Never liked him either. Could never hold a candle to Van Miller, but even to an average color commentator Murphy was bad.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    After Van Miller retired, he was on a (old farts) travel group (I can't remember where...China or New Zealand I think) that my dad was on. These trips went on for at least two to three weeks as 25 to 30 people traveled together on a guided tour.

He said that Van was the nicest man, not at all full of himself and a wonderful group travel companion. The trip used a bus to get from place to place within the country they were visiting, and my dad took video of one time that Van got up in the front of the bus, and put on his professional Bills voice and persona and called the trip like he was recapping a game, mentioning fellow travelers by name and recounting the great stuff they did together.

It was hilarious. I have not seen it for years since it was done in the 90's. After my dad passed in 2008 I got hold of all his video originals. My intention is to digitize them all and I'm looking forward to finding that snippet.
    My father is buried a in the same mausoleum as Miller.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post
    My father is buried a in the same mausoleum as Miller.
    I'm not sure how to react to this. It's a little creepy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby 2.0 View Post
    Van Miller he was not. He was okay, but not iconic. Still damn, not being able to do something you love (and broadcasting Bills games had to be dream job for him) because of a damned stroke. Strokes are horrible things. Mom had one a few years back and they are ****ing life altering. Mom recovered and I hope Murph did because strokes are awful. So get well Murph and hope you have a great remaining few decades.
    I haven't listened to a Bills game on radio in probably 20 years but I've heard plenty of Murph on replays, shows, etc... yeah, he really enjoyed calling the games. No one will ever be a RJ, Van Miller, Vin Skully... people speak differently now than they did when these guys were in their booth, hard to explain that really other than, listen to even a news cast from the early 60's to one now... two different worlds. Glad your mom recovered and I hope the same for Murph.

23. Post thanked by:

Gibby 2.0 (05-13-2024),notacon (05-13-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,692 Times in 6,228 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I enjoyed Marv as well .... thought damn why not hire him as a HC.

Sometimes you just know.

But by far the best ever was Van Miller without a doubt.