Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Donahoe Mistake?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 770 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Another Donahoe Mistake?

I realize it's still way too early to pass judgement on how the careers of these guys will turn out but going by this years play it looks like we might've missed out on someone better.

I'm talking about Lee Evans and Michael Clayton. Evans has shown some flashes and has big play capability but I don't see him as a #1 stud who will carry the load all season long and put up 80+ receptions on a consistent basis.

Clayton has been in a terrible offense and has caught balls from 3 different QB's this year but he still has better numbers then our own Eric Moulds.

Clayton- 52-751, 3 TD's

* Last 4 games- 21-308, 2 TD's

Evans- 19-374, 2 TD's

* Last 4 games- 9-126, 1 TD

Moulds- 55-679, 4 TD's

* Last 4 games- 18-188, 1 TD

The next 10 years is still a mystery but this year Clayton has been a force up till this point and he's also a year younger then Evans.

Moulds-

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsFever21
    I realize it's still way too early to pass judgement on how the careers of these guys will turn out but going by this years play it looks like we might've missed out on someone better.

I'm talking about Lee Evans and Michael Clayton. Evans has shown some flashes and has big play capability but I don't see him as a #1 stud who will carry the load all season long and put up 80+ receptions on a consistent basis.

Clayton has been in a terrible offense and has caught balls from 3 different QB's this year but he still has better numbers then our own Eric Moulds.

Clayton- 52-751, 3 TD's

* Last 4 games- 21-308, 2 TD's

Evans- 19-374, 2 TD's

* Last 4 games- 9-126, 1 TD

Moulds- 55-679, 4 TD's

* Last 4 games- 18-188, 1 TD

The next 10 years is still a mystery but this year Clayton has been a force up till this point and he's also a year younger then Evans.

Moulds-
    So I guess we have to be mind readers also..... Evans and CLayton are 2 different WR's. I know that best I see Clayton play every Sun in Tampa, and also check the stats of the BUCS offense compared to the BILLS..... Evans has the speed and deep threat and Clayton has the possession that the BUCS offense needs.....I said something in the early part of the season about CLAYTON.......You never know how a player will be till the dress in the NFL. EVANS will be a good one

Registered User TheGhostofJimKelly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    That's it, cut Evans!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    josh reed, Eric Moulds, Clayton, sounds like the slowest WR core in the NFL to me.

short bus extraordinaire SABURZFAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Talking

the Drewhaters will blame it on bledsoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Again, it's way too early to judge either Evans or Clayton. Evans has a great combination of speed, hands and attitude. Moulds is the number 1 guy right now, but I look for Evans to blossom into a big time WR next year, as the young guns - Losman, McGahee and Evans - take over this offense.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Registered User TheGhostofJimKelly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    No way, it's not too early, let's lynch him now!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    and while we are on this topic whats the deal with Tim Euhus, wasted draft pick, his numbers suck this year

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Evans was just flat out not a good pick for us. We should have traded down for Lousman and had a extra pick and had this years pick. Whoever thought we would be better then 8-8 this year was dreaming, hoping is fine but realistic no way. I like Evans but i agree he just don't strike me as anything great. But he could bulk up and be something perhaps. I like Aikin's play lately and i think he has a future.
    GO BILLS!!! NE
    Magical Trevor

short bus extraordinaire SABURZFAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Sippio
    Evans was just flat out not a good pick for us.

i agree.especially in a draft where we could have beefed up both sides of the line.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    I notice that most Zoners who were blasting the McGahee pick from Day 1 are now pretty quiet.

I would expect that by this time next season, the Evans/Losman and every-other-young-player-who-was-not-an-immediate-superstar bashers will be relatively quiet as well.

I'm not real patient myself, but there are some here who condemn every move and every player before there is enough evidence to form ANY rational conclusion.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Is it too early to condemn next year's top draft pick as a bust? After all, he hasn't done anything for us yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I didn't say bust i just disagree with the pick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Donahoe was very interested in Clayton. They brought him in for a visit and talked with him for a while. Lee Evans was picked because he was what they were missing. He's just not getting used properly. I haven't seen him drop any(many) passes at all. Bledsoe just isn't finding him open downfield. I believe he will be a big part of the offense next year and he was the receiver trhe Bills needed. They needed speed, not a possession receiver, a speed receiver to compliment Moulds. I also feel that we might have Moulds' replacement on the team. I know people are going to laugh, but Sam Aiken looks huge. He's been working out with Moulds and once they get him more involved in the offense, you will see it. Evans is a great deep threat to match the posession receiver in Moulds or aiken.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    BTW...anyone who declares ANY of the 2004 picks busts already, are MORONS and needs to :stfu: right now!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Btw let's already say that the picks next year are busts while we are at it. It's too damn early. Evans is just a rookie, and if in case you forgot this is his third year back from a pretty bad leg injury. Give him a year. Look what McGahee has done in a year.
    http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJayhawk
    Btw let's already say that the picks next year are busts while we are at it. It's too damn early. Evans is just a rookie, and if in case you forgot this is his third year back from a pretty bad leg injury. Give him a year. Look what McGahee has done in a year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

fair observation and wrong conclusions

that's like saying 90% of rookie RBs are better than faulk because they had better rookie seasons.

First of all, draft choices are not "donahoe mistakes" He's merely the project manager of the draft process. His main opinion man is tom modrak. Before they draft a player, Donahoe asks modrak and his head coach, AND the scouts, AND John Guy, who they think helps the team the most. They give them their answer, and phones in the picks accordingly.

You can say a "Bills mistake" if it's applicable, but not a "donahoe mistake".

Secondly, in 5 years I'll take any bet that Evans is considered the better receiver over Clayton, and I recognize that clayton is exceptional. The only catch is they both have to be healthy in that span to have had a similar amount of opportunity. Drew has not clicked yet with LEE, and Drew has not exactly been efficient getting the ball out deep until just recently. Accordingly, Evans' stats have been getting better since that first Jets game. But he was invisible for about 4 or 5 games because our entire offense was invisible. Don't start drawing conclusions about one guy because our entire offense has been lackluster.

Tampa has better offensive stats than us right now. By the end of the season we'll pull closer or past htem, but clayton is enjoying #1 receiver status as a rookie. Lee went from #3 to #2 and won't get past that until he surpasses Moulds.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Clayton hasn't been playing in the conditions Lee has @ the Ralph too. Alot of the games we've played in have been with high winds, and no passing game from either side.