X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Re: A few random thoughts & opinions...

Brady had/has an awesome cheating system in place. Can't compare him with EJ.

Comment

• ICRockets
      Childish Fake Voter
      • Jul 2008

I still don't get the Trent Edwards comparisons. EJ is throwing short routes on 1st and 2nd downs and is typically doing a good job of converting on 3rd downs. Trent's problem was that he'd settle for 4 yards on a 3rd and 8. EJ's making a clear effort to convert on every 3rd down, he's not just checking down for the sake of getting half the yards he needs to get before we punt it away.

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally posted by elltrain22 View Post
        Just wanted to get a few things out, and see what you's have to say/think…

(in no particular order)

- EJ isn't as bad as so many of you make him out to be. I think he's looked a little better actually. Quick dec's, fairly accurate, and has moved the chains when he's out there. Would like to see more shots down the field, and less checks to the rb's, and short routes, but that very well be preseason schemes (or lack there of) or Hackett's offensive attack (or lack there of)
        He has? Moved the chains while he's out there?

Based on what?

This preseason the drives with him in the game have been 17 yards, 10 yards, 78 yards (failed to punch it in), 13 yards, 35 yards (28 of which was on one pass play), 44 yards (FG), 27 yards, 39 yards (FG), 61 yards (drive ended on Manuel incompletion), 39 yards (Manuel was 1-for-3 for 0 yards with a 1st-and-GTG at the Pitt 6).

You think he moves the ball?

10, 13, 17, 27, 35, 39, 39, 44 (FG), 61, and 78.

Sorry, not seeing it.

Same with Spiller, he may crack a long one every now and again, but it's the 20 carries in between where he does nothing, his uselessness on 3rd-downs, and his limited play otherwise that doesn't cut it. He's a role player, not a starting 3-down RB. He should be treated as such.
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• BB4ever
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
          He has? Moved the chains while he's out there?

Based on what?

This preseason the drives with him in the game have been 17 yards, 10 yards, 78 yards (failed to punch it in), 13 yards, 35 yards (28 of which was on one pass play), 44 yards (FG), 27 yards, 39 yards (FG), 61 yards (drive ended on Manuel incompletion), 39 yards (Manuel was 1-for-3 for 0 yards with a 1st-and-GTG at the Pitt 6).

You think he moves the ball?

10, 13, 17, 27, 35, 39, 39, 44 (FG), 61, and 78.

Sorry, not seeing it.

Same with Spiller, he may crack a long one every now and again, but it's the 20 carries in between where he does nothing, his uselessness on 3rd-downs, and his limited play otherwise that doesn't cut it. He's a role player, not a starting 3-down RB. He should be treated as such.
          I hope chandler can consistently kick 53.7 yd fgs. Our average yds per drive is 36.3 add the 20 touchback and thats what he will be facing on average.

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
            I still don't get the Trent Edwards comparisons. EJ is throwing short routes on 1st and 2nd downs and is typically doing a good job of converting on 3rd downs. Trent's problem was that he'd settle for 4 yards on a 3rd and 8. EJ's making a clear effort to convert on every 3rd down, he's not just checking down for the sake of getting half the yards he needs to get before we punt it away.
            You sure about that?

Did you look at Manuel's 3rd-down-conversion % for last season?

47.5%, 5.15 ypa, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 61.4 rating.

Jason Campbell was better at 57.9%, 6.72, 81.6 rating, 2 TDs, 1 INT

Geno Smith was better at 56.3%, 7.58 ypa, 77.7 rating, 5 TDs, 5 INTs

Manuel was one of the worst 3rd-down QBs in the league last season.

Against Pittsburgh this preseason he went 5 for 8 on 3rds, but every drive stalled on a Manuel incompletion on 3rd, an interception, or his failing to convert.

He was 2-for-4 on 3rds against Carolina, two of his three drives stalling with the ball in his hands.

He was 0-for-2 against the Giants with both drives stalling on his incompletions.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

True and that is a bit disheartening. However we are driving, converting 3rd downs, and there is a clear showing of improvement. Just not in the red zone, yet
              See my two posts above.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

- THis has nothing to do w/ anything, but my wife re-upped our NFL Sunday Ticket again!! Every Sunday here its Bills, Wings, Anger or Joy (win or loss), then nap!!
                Good post, but this line is my favorite. Especially the nap part.

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                  Good post, but this line is my favorite. Especially the nap part.
                  LOL

The urge to nap usually takes affect after the surge in aggravation in the 2nd quarter. Then there's halftime where we have no choice but to settle down, then once the emotions have subsided, acceptance kicks in and the urge for a serene nap kicks in.

Post #46

------

Comment

• gebobs
                    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by BB4ever View Post
                    I hope chandler can consistently kick 53.7 yd fgs. Our average yds per drive is 36.3 add the 20 touchback and thats what he will be facing on average.
                    Heck, if Chandler can kick a 53-yarder, how far out do you think Carpenter can go?

Winning!
                    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• elltrain22
                      • Sep 2003

LOL

The urge to nap usually takes affect after the surge in aggravation in the 2nd quarter. Then there's halftime where we have no choice but to settle down, then once the emotions have subsided, acceptance kicks in and the urge for a serene nap kicks in.
                      Our opener vs the Jets last year was terrible. Great scence, great food/snacks/beer, great day to watch, and so much excitement… What happened, it was over after 2 quarters, I started my nap during halftime.
                      If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

LOL

The urge to nap usually takes affect after the surge in aggravation in the 2nd quarter.
                        Or after 7 beers.

Comment

• kishoph
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by BB4ever View Post

Well considering 36.3 yds. per drive would of been ranked the 4th highest in the league last year, that's not too bad. If you're gonna bash the team, at least know what the **** you're talking about (including the kickers name).

Comment

• Dr. Who
                            • Jul 2002

You sure about that?

Did you look at Manuel's 3rd-down-conversion % for last season?

47.5%, 5.15 ypa, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 61.4 rating.

Jason Campbell was better at 57.9%, 6.72, 81.6 rating, 2 TDs, 1 INT

Geno Smith was better at 56.3%, 7.58 ypa, 77.7 rating, 5 TDs, 5 INTs

Manuel was one of the worst 3rd-down QBs in the league last season.

Against Pittsburgh this preseason he went 5 for 8 on 3rds, but every drive stalled on a Manuel incompletion on 3rd, an interception, or his failing to convert.

He was 2-for-4 on 3rds against Carolina, two of his three drives stalling with the ball in his hands.

He was 0-for-2 against the Giants with both drives stalling on his incompletions.
                            Yeah, he's going by the small sample of the pre-season and the ridiculous assumption that young qbs can improve. Everyone knows third down was a massive problem last year.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Dr. Who View Post
                              Yeah, he's going by the small sample of the pre-season and the ridiculous assumption that young qbs can improve. Everyone knows third down was a massive problem last year.
                              And EJ is so terrible that an improved OL & added weapons on offense will do nothing to help him convert those 3rd downs this year either.

Comment

• gebobs
                                One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                                Well considering 36.3 yds. per drive would of been ranked the 4th highest in the league last year, that's not too bad.
                                For the 10 drives this year, I get an average of 38.7 yards, 8.3 plays, 2.1 first downs, 3:37 TOP and 2.1 points (if you count the three drives where they probably would have kicked instead of gone for it in normal circumstances).

There's a lot of good you can take from that, even though it's just 10 drives:
                                * no 3 and outs (100% DSR...you can't beat that, 8.3 plays per drive compared to 5.6 in '13)
                                * excellent possession (3:37 TOP compared to 2:12 in '13)
                                * excellent yardage (38.7 compared to 26.7 ypd in '13)
                                * pretty good points (2.10 compared to 1.57 in '13)
                                * just one turnover (0.100 turnover per drive compared to 0.126 last year)

On the other hand...
                                * no td's
                                * red zone suckitude

At this point, I'd have to say I'm a bit surprised and guardedly optimistic.
                                Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X