• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Start Orton Now

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
    There was nothing wrong with the pick, it made sense. It's the way they handled it after he was drafted that sucked.
    They had no vet to mentor him, they had no QB coach, they had a project QB, and they tried letting Boy Hackett mentor him without having an NFL clue to begin with, installing a fast paced quick read west coast offense Manuel was totally ill suited for. So now we have a bad QB coach, Boy Hackett and an overmatched incapable project QB with a last minute Orton looking for snaps to help him.

It's not going to work, whether or not it might have if different. Doesn't mean the season is done, but sort of means they dorked up developing their "franchise" QB unless you think this is a great way to develop a project QB, and I don't think anyone here is that lost.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
      EJ needs to be benched until he shows anything that says he's a NFL caliber player.
      How exactly can Manuel do that from the bench?

He was horribly inaccurate today and extended plays that he shouldn't have, I agree. Should he be benched for a back-up old hack? No.

If the staff really wants to know what this kid is made of they have to give the reigns again next week verse Houston and see how he responds.

But it's way too early in the season to bench him.

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post

He was horribly inaccurate today and extended plays that he shouldn't have, I agree. Should he be benched for a back-up old hack? No.

If the staff really wants to know what this kid is made of they have to give the reigns again next week verse Houston and see how he responds.

Roll with Manuel to the bye, we are not a super bowl contender and they all live or die with him as they evidently intended.

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
          Roll with Manuel to the bye, we are not a super bowl contender and they all live or die with him as they evidently intended.
          They certainly did. I guess what bothers me is a I see this team as a QB away from seriously excelling. But Manuel is the QB they choose and this is the QB this team will venture forward with until Manuel either catches on or fails miserably. While today was ugly for Manuel with a capital U G L Y, it's still too early to determine.

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
            Forgot to comment on your thought about sticking with him until the BYE. I'm not sure just yet. If he is progressing, but progressing slowly (maybe slower than most like), but the team is still not winning football games, I think you have to stick with EJ until he just ****s the bed or hits his ceiling. I don't know when that will be exactly.

Comment

• Buffalogic
              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
              • Feb 2006

I truly believe with Orton we would win the division. The guy is accurate at the very least. He can sustain drives and score touchdowns. Something EJ has proven he cannot do at this point.

Benching EJ doesn't mean it is over for him, but the team should be turned over to Orton so EJ can learn more than he knows now. EJ is completely overwhelmed. You can just see it. He's in over his head. It's only going to get worse if we keeping putting him out there. He's in danger of a finalizing embarrassment.

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

I truly believe with Orton we would win the division. The guy is accurate at the very least. He can sustain drives and score touchdowns. Something EJ has proven he cannot do at this point.

Benching EJ doesn't mean it is over for him, but the team should be turned over to Orton so EJ can learn more than he knows now. EJ is completely overwhelmed. You can just see it. He's in over his head. It's only going to get worse if we keeping putting him out there. He's in danger of a finalizing embarrassment.
                I honestly think it's too late man. If Manuel was going to be tutored it would have happened last year. That's why Leinart was brought in. Unfortunately we all know what happened there. Manuel and Thad last season - injuries and all. Orton came in to this way too late. Benching Manuel after handing him the job through preseason could have several repercussions. More specifically, I would like to know if this kid can or cannot play at this level. Because if he can't, the Bills need to hit the draft next year. Benching him at this point just delays the process.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                  Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                  • Feb 2006

^ It has worked in the past ala Brees. I just think if they leave him in there he's only going to get worse and if that happens this whole administration is unsalvageable.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
                    • Dec 2004

You play the guy who gives you the best chance to win now. Last year we had no alternative to Manuel, but we've invested 10 million in an actual professional experienced NFL quarterback. He needs to see the field until EJ is the better option. But I expect Marrone to go all in on EJ and he and his staff will be riding the Manuel train right out of town by 2015 at the latest.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                      Escaped Convict
                      • Jul 2002

^ It has worked in the past ala Brees. I just think if they leave him in there he's only going to get worse and if that happens this whole administration is unsalvageable.
                      EJ will never, ever, ever be Drew Brees.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
                      EJ's human and needs to be loved... Just like everybody else does.

He can be loved in the CFL.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

How is Orton practicing, does he have a decent handle on the system ?

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

I honestly think it's too late man. If Manuel was going to be tutored it would have happened last year. That's why *Leinart was brought in. Unfortunately we all know what happened there. Manuel and Thad last season - injuries and all. Orton came in to this way too late. Benching Manuel after handing him the job through preseason could have several repercussions. More specifically, I would like to know if this kid can or cannot play at this level. Because if he can't, the Bills need to hit the draft next year. Benching him at this point just delays the process.
                          *Should be Kolb not Leinart

Comment

• Swiper
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                            It's the price you pay for drafting a total reach, then making matters worse by spending next year's number one and this year's number one on a WR when you have a crappy QB.

They gambled, they lost. Now they pay.
                            You know I liked Nix when he was here as GM. But this QB mess is fully his fault for his lack of drafting someone during his time higher than the 5th round.

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

EJ needs to be benched until he shows anything that says he's a NFL caliber player.
                              All he needs to do it hit Watkins I heard. If he can do that then Watkins can average 15 yac.

At least that's what I've been told.
                              http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                              (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                              Originally Posted by pmoon6
                              The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• trapezeus
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Oct 2004

the guys calling for orton, have you guys gone to the games and watched his warm up? have you watched the numebr of years he's played? he's not someone the team is going to build around. He isn't very good.

i would rather see manuel sink this year and know we should move on than to go 8-8, miss the playoffs, and then have people say, "oh manual didn't play, let's see what he has."

additionally, EJ wasn't accurate, but the bills were still in that game. they make that 4th down pass to watkins who was open, the bills continue to gain momentum and are on a scoring drive.

it wasn't EJ's finest day. His inaccuracy really showed his limitation. he also needs to make a decision faster and go with it than continuously trying to roll out. that being said, 1 bad game isn't worth putting it all on him.

the DBs had been against giving up big plays up until this game and routinely gave up big plays on legal picks. and the DC had no solution to that early in the game. that was a problem. ST didn't do anything amazing either. And fred looked like the more sure handed RB and only got a handful of touches.

it has been team wins through week2 and it was mostly a team loss in week 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X