• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreedoII
    • Aug 2007

Re: TMQ takes BUF's coaching to task.

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
    To Brandon's credit he isn't a football guy, but that then raises the question why his responsibilities spill over into that arena. We can't blame him for pretending to be one since he's been put in a certain role. It's clearly because of the way Ralph ran the team by leaning more on friendships than on competence in the area of football knowledge, which is exactly why he fired Polian, which is clearly among the dumbest decisions of any owners ever in pro football.

My fear is that Pegula will be similar since he's all about "all things Buffalo." Don't get me wrong, happy that he bought the team and all, but he seems far more concerned with building a downtown sports and business complex than he does about building a winner for the Bills. I may be way off on that, but so far he hasn't done anything for the Sabres except take them down despite the differences in the opinions of Sabres fans as to how and why that is.

I see you point sure but Pegula is a sucesfull busines man and he surely can see the disfunction in the FO. I mean this team has like 20 VP's for various erroneus depts. he can see the failfure over the yeasrs in decdision making and inner crcles and stupid allegiances and buddy buddy systems.

I really think we find out after this season. Again, he's got a golden opportunity to clean house now, it's a once in a lifetime thing. As a fan he'd have to be a fool not to realize what the problems are with this team, which stem directly from the FO, and as an owner, a new one, he'd be remiss in not taking the opportunity to simply say that it's time to turn a page in the way the organization is run, tell everyone that it's nothing personal, and if he feels bad pay them all for an extra year or 6 months or whatever, and then put some people in there without ties to NYS or Pittsburgh that are capable of producing a winning team.

It really is that simple.
    I see you point sure but Pegula is a successful business man and he surely can see the dysfunction in the FO. I mean this team has like 20 VP's for various erroneous depts. he can see the failure over the years in decision making and inner circles and stupid allegiances and buddy buddy systems. Pegula is a renaissance man in Buf and will put the city back on the map but to say he may be like Ralph? No way. He wants to be successful in everything he does I’m sure. But we will see once the season is over. I’m more nervous that scuz ball Brandon is in his ear daily trying to save his sorry ass.

In terms of the Sabres, he's going about it the right way now. he tried to throw cash at it first but Darcy and Ruff still couldn't do it so he blew it up and is doing it the right way in my opinion. let's hope he learned his lesson this time around.

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
      I see you point sure but Pegula is a successful business man and he surely can see the dysfunction in the FO. I mean this team has like 20 VP's for various erroneous depts. he can see the failure over the years in decision making and inner circles and stupid allegiances and buddy buddy systems. Pegula is a renaissance man in Buf and will put the city back on the map but to say he may be like Ralph? No way. He wants to be successful in everything he does I’m sure. But we will see once the season is over. I’m more nervous that scuz ball Brandon is in his ear daily trying to save his sorry ass.

In terms of the Sabres, he's going about it the right way now. he tried to throw cash at it first but Darcy and Ruff still couldn't do it so he blew it up and is doing it the right way in my opinion. let's hope he learned his lesson this time around.
      I wasn't passing judgement yet one way or the other, and I hope you're right. As you said, we'll see after the season, but if he doesn't clean house I won't view it as much different than under Wilson. And we will see after the season, within weeks of after the season, it won't take longer. The situation's going to make itself and all we'll be able to do is judge it.

As far as him being a renaissance man and putting Buffalo back on the map, it's going to take more than him to achieve that, but also, while that's all well and good, it's independent from making the Bills good which was my point. What's his first goal, to try to singlehandedly put Buffalo back on the map, something that's a longshot if you ask me as well as something that's going to take years if not a decade or more, or him turning the Bills once again into a contender as it was under Polian, something that should take anymore than 2-3 seasons to do with competent people in charge? We don't know the answer to that yet. Hopefully both, but I don't see a direct connection between the two. i.e., he could "put Buffalo back on the map" with the Bills still sucking every year, to the extent that it's possible for one man to put an entire city "back on the map" that is.

To fix the team he'll have to directly, not indirectly, address the root problems. It's blatant that those root problems are the FO including Whaley, Brandon, the scouting staff, and some leftover long-time friends of Ralph. What we really need, and no disrespect to Ralph intended, is to wash and rinse the organization clean from Ralph's influences. The only way that we're going to achieve that is by dismissing the entire personnel side of the FO, which again, based on Whaley's recent statements appear to be nothing but a bunch of yes-men.
      Last edited by Fletch; 11-19-2014, 09:00 AM.
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
        I would not say Gailey had a play not to lose offensive system/philosophy. So far, he's the only one who knew what to do with Spiller. Gailey's mistake was Fitz.
        I remember Gailey, up 12-7 punting from the opponent's 34. How is that not playing not to lose? They lost that game 15-12.
        This Chan Gailey love has to stop. The Gailey lovers are like a guy who wants to get back with a bad ex-wife, forgetting why they split up.

On Sunday, with 12 minutes remaining and a 12-7 lead, Chan Gailey’s Bills faced a 4th-and-7 from the St. Louis 34-yard-line. It’s worth noting — in part because it was notable to Gailey — that minutes earlier, Buffalo scored a touchdown but Shawn Powell botched the extra point, preventing Buffalo from going up 13-7. I suppose we could dwell on the fact that up 5 with 20 minutes left in the game after scoring a touchdown is an obvious scenario that calls for going for two, but let’s not do that in this post.

In Tampa Bay, Schiano attempted a 56-yard field goal. In Buffalo, with rain but wind at his back, the Bills sent on the field goal unit but then changed their mind and chose to punt, with the botched snap from minutes earlier apparently being a factor in the decision.
        Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 11-19-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
          I remember Gailey, up 12-7 punting from the opponent's 34. How is that not playing not to lose? They lost that game 15-12.
          This Chan Gailey love has to stop. The Gailey lovers are like a guy who wants to get back with a bad ex-wife, forgetting why they split up.
          LOL

Good analogy.

Sadly that's what a good chunk of the fanbase has been reduced to here. Nearly two decades of extreme futility and a solid track record of second-half collapses will do that to some.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Your friendly wager with me that a 9-7 team will make the playoffs in the AFC is already in jeopardy. KC's a shoe-in for 10-6 now.
            Speaking of wagers, I had a bet with someone that Dareus would not be suspended this year.

I cant remember who, but you know who you are welcher.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

It's not hard to say Marroon needs to be shown the road...but the source of the hires is difficult to pin point. Wilson drove the organizational philosophy more than anyone else.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by better days View Post
                Speaking of wagers, I had a bet with someone that Dareus would not be suspended this year.

I cant remember who, but you know who you are welcher.
                Not me my friend. I have no such recollection, isn't the kind of thing that I spend more than a passing thought on.

But rather than call me a welcher, just point out where I posted that. I think you're remembering incorrectly. I'd be happy to admit that I was off if I said that, but who cares. It's not even an issue that has much relevance

As to friendly wagers, their akin to predictions, and yours are about as far off as anyone's here since the beginning of the season. So if we're talking accuracy, despite your ever-evolving opinions that all supercede the ones from events actually having unfolded, I really think that the last one standing on a soap box crowing about this season should be you.

Just sayin'.
                Last edited by Fletch; 11-19-2014, 09:54 AM.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                  It's not hard to say Marroon needs to be shown the road...but the source of the hires is difficult to pin point. Wilson drove the organizational philosophy more than anyone else.
                  Therein you suggest what part of the problem is and why the entire personnel side of the org, and a little more, needs to be shown the door. I'm not sure that it's going to be possible to separate out the "who did what" and who didn't, so the only logical solution is not to risk the cancerous elements from creeping into the new era by eradicating the entire organism. Anything less will ultimately fall short.

Post #46

------

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Not me my friend. I have no such recollection, isn't the kind of thing that I spend more than a passing thought on.

But rather than call me a welcher, just point out where I posted that. I think you're remembering incorrectly. I'd be happy to admit that I was off if I said that, but who cares. It's not even an issue that has much relevance

As to friendly wagers, their akin to predictions, and yours are about as far off as anyone's here since the beginning of the season. So if we're talking accuracy, despite your ever-evolving opinions that all supercede the ones from events actually having unfolded, I really think that the last one standing on a soap box crowing about this season should be you.

Just sayin'.
                    No, I know the bet I made was not with you. I'm not calling you a welcher.

As far as my predictions, I said before the season started that if Marrone does not win at least 8 games that I wanted Marrone fired.

I still feel that way. And at 5 wins now, the Bills have already won more games than you & some others predicted they would.

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by better days View Post
                      No, I know the bet I made was not with you. I'm not calling you a welcher.

As far as my predictions, I said before the season started that if Marrone does not win at least 8 games that I wanted Marrone fired.

I still feel that way. And at 5 wins now, the Bills have already won more games than you & some others predicted they would.
                      Not really. Again, let's be honest here. How many times do I have to say it to you. I had us going 5-11 +/- a game with Manuel. Once Orton took over I added 2 games plus/minus a game to that. I seriously believe that had Manuel been kept in there we would in fact be 3-7 right now, maybe 4-6 tops. I don't think that we would have beaten Minnesota or Detroit with Manuel in there. Manuel's twice as prone to INTs.

Either way, so what, a few relatively lucky wins with no more evidence that we're capable of beating top-half teams than last season. Those bounces, Chicago's TOs, Detroit's MFG, and that last-second play in the Minny game, could all very easily have gone against us. I think fans are making far too much over three thin wins against three really pretty bad teams, at least at the time we played them in Detroit's case. Manuel wouldn't have done what Orton did on that last drive vs. Minny. It was our passing game in the wins against Minny and Detroit wins that won those games for us. You really think that Manuel would have won those? Keep dreaming if so.

So really I could argue that my 5-11 under Manuel would have been generous and probably have erred on the minus-one side of that.

Who cares though, this team isn't capable of beating above average teams unless they come in all beat up ala the 2004 Steelers in week 17. If that's not true then we should win a game or two against NE, GB, Denver or maybe even Cleveland. So far we've sucked against NE, SD, and Miami recently after they've pulled their heads outta their asses.

I'm not seeing the suggested improvement from last season to this that some insist has occurred.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                        KC is the most overrated team… We should of had them, twice.

Correction: The BILLS should have had Andy Reid and Alex Smith.

Fire Russ Brandon NOW.

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                          I would not say Gailey had a play not to lose offensive system/philosophy. So far, he's the only one who knew what to do with Spiller. Gailey's mistake was Fitz.
                          Gailey had a play not to lose philosophy dependent on a defense he couldn't find an adequate defensive coordinator to run. Another mistake, Nix's mistake, which Gailey went along with was Fitz, which may have worked out better with a defensive coordinator worth a junk.

Knowing how to use a marquee running back is just not a real selling point to measure capability in the modern game with coaches using UFA's and plug in replacement backs to tear people up.

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                            Correction: The BILLS should have had Andy Reid and Alex Smith.

Fire Russ Brandon NOW.
                            They definitely could have had Smith. They had two shots at Russell Wilson too and took Cordy Glenn and then TJ Graham instead.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Oaf
                              Do you read what you write?
                              • Jun 2007

KC is the most overrated team… We should of had them, twice.
                              I stand by my statement.

Comment

• Fletch
                                • May 2007

I stand by my statement.
                                KC is very conservative, and it works for them typically. Not sure how that will play out in the playoffs.

Don't look at yesterdays game as any indicator since it was a divisional game, all bets are off on those. We can just as easily get pounded by the Jets this week.

Post #46

------

Comment

Working...
                                X