Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if you feel we are good except at QB, would you...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

if you feel we are good except at QB, would you...

find a QB that you think is good already in the league and offer to trade a number of picks to acquire that qb.

I doubt someone like luck, R Wilson would be available for two years worth of entire picks, but say the next level down, would you bet on trading even more picks to find a "win now QB who has NFL seasoning" or do you think we need to find that guy via draft?

I think this is a hard question because the team seems pretty close to being a young team ready to make a push...but i don't think orton is going to give us long term answer for 2015 and beyond. and drafting one next year may have the same if not worse results than EJ since we will be taking a 2nd round pick or worse as qb.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: if you feel we are good except at QB, would you...

Not sure whether to comment or not, I'm not one of those that thinks we are good except at QB.

LB is an issue since we don't have any LBs that specialize in pass D except for Alonso.

Jackson is finished any time now. Love the guy but age is age.

Spiller can't cut the full-time RB role and may not even be with the the team next year if they don't give him what he wants. If they do it will probably be overpaying him. Also, what will the new GM and head coach that we're hopefully going to get think. Who carries the ball when Jackson isn't around anymore? Brown? Please.

Can use an upgrade at TE.

Dareus? Kyle Williams is in his back-9.

Secondary has no playmakers.

Coaching is dicey at best pending new GM.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    find a QB that you think is good already in the league and offer to trade a number of picks to acquire that qb.

I doubt someone like luck, R Wilson would be available for two years worth of entire picks, but say the next level down, would you bet on trading even more picks to find a "win now QB who has NFL seasoning" or do you think we need to find that guy via draft?

I think this is a hard question because the team seems pretty close to being a young team ready to make a push...but i don't think orton is going to give us long term answer for 2015 and beyond. and drafting one next year may have the same if not worse results than EJ since we will be taking a 2nd round pick or worse as qb.
    No because you go "all in" for one player and something happens to said player then you're in a really bad place. I know everyone here is commenting how bad EJ's played because it's easy to point out. Yet our running attack has struggled more specifically our short running game. Toss in we're getting limited production from our TEs (despite Chandler leading the team in receiving last year). Also we have some question marks with the interior defense until we learn the status of Kyle Williams and Bradham. Toss in most great QBs never get traded unless the team has an alternative guy they know can replace him in place. I mean what guy do you think we could realistically trade for?

4. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i don't know. I am torn. i think the team is pretty talented, but probably not good enough. and simply holding status quo and drafting a qb, i think the D will get worse as a QB develops in say 2 years.

I am just trying to make sense of the disaster we've put ourselves in and how the team works itself out of this. I still think they can go to the playoffs this year. but i don't know how you take this team with tweaks much further quickly. To me they will need a legit QB, and developing one takes time (even if you got the right one)

Would you throw picks at NE and bet on Brady for 2 years. If belichick thinks he's done, he'll give him up and fleece us. I'm not excited about it because i frankly don't think Brady earned the accolades himself without the product of spygate.

Do you think the saints would be willing to give up on brees seeing htat they have a long rebuild brewing and not wanting to pay that salary.

again, not great long term options and are a little Madden like in theory...and it still leaves us thin in some other areas. but for people who think it's just a qb away, and we already are short a 1st round pick, do we gamble again with this roster to get us there?

I'm just having a hard time seeing how this doesn't end with a completely fired staff and management and new 3 year plan trotted out.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't really want any QB another team wants to get rid of.

I think Orton is probably as good as anyone the Bills could get.

I say let EJ develop & draft another couple guys at the QB position to develop as well.

7. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i don't know. I am torn. i think the team is pretty talented, but probably not good enough. and simply holding status quo and drafting a qb, i think the D will get worse as a QB develops in say 2 years.

I am just trying to make sense of the disaster we've put ourselves in and how the team works itself out of this. I still think they can go to the playoffs this year. but i don't know how you take this team with tweaks much further quickly. To me they will need a legit QB, and developing one takes time (even if you got the right one)

Would you throw picks at NE and bet on Brady for 2 years. If belichick thinks he's done, he'll give him up and fleece us. I'm not excited about it because i frankly don't think Brady earned the accolades himself without the product of spygate.

Do you think the saints would be willing to give up on brees seeing htat they have a long rebuild brewing and not wanting to pay that salary.

again, not great long term options and are a little Madden like in theory...and it still leaves us thin in some other areas. but for people who think it's just a qb away, and we already are short a 1st round pick, do we gamble again with this roster to get us there?

I'm just having a hard time seeing how this doesn't end with a completely fired staff and management and new 3 year plan trotted out.
    If Pegula cleans house, whoever comes in is going to have a GOOD team to work with.

When Nix was hired the cupboard was bare.

Now it is pretty well stocked.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Brady is showing this year he needs an above average offensive line to be successful and he seems better works best with proven veteran WRs. I don't hink our offensive line is that much better than New Englands. Cordy Glenn and Eric Wood might be better Solder and Wendell but the rest of the guys it's a push. Also I'm not sure our receiving core significantly better than what Brady has. As Gronk is better than anyone we have. Edelman is slightly better than Mike Wiliams but we don't have anyone in the lines of Brandon LaFell. This is why I felt keeping SJ13 and drafting an Ebron would prove a wiser investment. As to me veteran WRs like SJ13 and Mike Williams would benefit a QB more. It's not saying Watkins hasn't played well as he has but his putting up realasitic rookie type numbers.In terms of Drew Brees, he's the face of the Saints franchise and I can't see him being moved ever and you have to wonder if playing in dome as much as he doesn't inflate his numbers and I can debate that Graham/Colston/Cooks a better trio than what we have here. I want to emphasize here I am not deny the talent of Woods or Watkins but they're still both young guys in my eyes (see less than 3 NFL years) and to me counting on them to be every week contributors is a lot. As I don't see that until they reach year 3. I mean look at some other WRs struggling in their second years Coradelle Patterson, who I wanted us to take the year we took EJ has struggled outside his dynamic run in Week 1. Outside of this past week Keenan Allen has been invisable in San Diego inspite of playing with the early favorite to win MVP (Phillip Rivers).
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 10-01-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I am just trying to make sense of the disaster we've put ourselves in and how the team works itself out of this.

You answered your own question there, or responded to your own thought.

If that happens, as it should if Pegula cares about creating a competitive team, then the new GM comes in hamstrung with no 1st or 4th round draft picks, maybe a compensatory pick or two, who knows, and will need to wait at least for the 2016 crop of QBs if there's a good crop then.

Seems like the last thing that they should do is give a QB on the outs a big contract, or any free agent QB a big contract.

Let's hope that Pegula does the right thing and fumigates OBD come December 29th. The longer he waits to do that the less likely it will be that he does what is necessary. On the other side of the coin if Whaley is kept around at least we get the pleasure of watching him stew in his own juice next offseason. Granted, it won't be much or enough of a consolation and it wouldn't bode well for the future.

Pegula should go straight for Jon Gruden.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    If Pegula cleans house, whoever comes in is going to have a GOOD team to work with.
    It will be decent and rebuilable within two seasons for sure if he hires a GM and coach that know wtf they're doing unlike all the others we've had.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

If that happens, as it should if Pegula cares about creating a competitive team, then the new GM comes in hamstrung with no 1st or 4th round draft picks, maybe a compensatory pick or two, who knows, and will need to wait at least for the 2016 crop of QBs if there's a good crop then.

Seems like the last thing that they should do is give a QB on the outs a big contract, or any free agent QB a big contract.

Let's hope that Pegula does the right thing and fumigates OBD come December 29th. The longer he waits to do that the less likely it will be that he does what is necessary. On the other side of the coin if Whaley is kept around at least we get the pleasure of watching him stew in his own juice next offseason. Granted, it won't be much or enough of a consolation and it wouldn't bode well for the future.

The Bills won't have a first next year in the draft, but with Pegula as owner, I expect him to bring in some talent in free agency.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If Pegula follows his model of the Sabres he's not going to bring in a big name in Gruden. He might pursue a guy like Gary Kubiak if we look as soon as next year but have a feeling Marrone sticks around at least to the end of next year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    The Bills won't have a first next year in the draft, but with Pegula as owner, I expect him to bring in some talent in free agency.
    This makes sense my first move would be to retain Spikes. Second move would be pursue Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas.

15. Post thanked by:

better days (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,482 Times in 7,097 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not sure whether to comment or not, I'm not one of those that thinks we are good except at QB.

blahblahblah.......
    you really should have not commented. Read the title of the thread. Just can't hold back your hate for the bills huh?

if you feel we are good except at QB, would you...

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Realistically the only players that fit into this are players with giant question marks. No one is going to trade a QB who is playing well.

So you're looking at Alex Smith, Robert Griffin, Kirk Cousins, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Chad Henne and maybe Matt Hasselbeck. Hardly upgrades over Orton.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

18. Post thanked by:

better days (10-01-2014),Buffalogic (10-01-2014),trapezeus (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Somebody just watched Draft Day...
    Oh no!...We suck again!

20. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    you really should have not commented. Read the title of the thread. Just can't hold back your hate for the bills huh?
    When you're through with your mental masterbation feel free to wipe the walls down. Then go **** yourself.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i want the bills to win this year with orton or with tuel or with marrone. whoever. win.

the team was built to be successful now. to address the qb situatoin in the draft, the part we built up will have aged out. if we go all in, the worst thing that happens is that we fail....something that i think this qb-less team is going to do long term.

i realize the only trade optoin would come from questionable former starters. orton being one of them. in terms of what terry can do when he really takes over on december 29th, it seems like total tear down is the faster option.

SAD fact of bills history: my cousin was 14 when the bills last made the playoffs. today he is a phd graduate. That kind of stunned me at how god awful this drought has been.

23. Post thanked by:

better days (10-01-2014),justasportsfan (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I think Fletch is Mike Rodak.

25. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,720 Times in 7,773 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Anyone who thinks that the Bills are "good" exempt at QB is fooling themselves.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

When you're through with your mental masterbation feel free to wipe the walls down. Then go **** yourself.
    There is no call for such words.

We are here to discuss, argue, kick the tires, agree, wring the towel and so on.

Man up and apologize.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

28. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (10-02-2014)