Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OL is no longer priority #1

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

OL is no longer priority #1

I used to think priority one was the OL.. I was wrong.. Its clearly becoming the DL.

Both need help, but the OL is at least playing average since the bye.. the DL is totally falling APART.

I think Schobel and Tripplett are back as starters next year, but we CLEARLY need a new starting DT and DE.

K Williams is a player, but I dont think he's a first and second down starter.. He's a good rotational player and so will be McCargo (though a first rounder was too high).. THey need a run stuffer to start next to Tripplett.

and an upgrade over Kelsay is a necessity too.

Unless you want to keep seeing teams pound away on the ground. our Run D is getting more embarassing each week.

and Ko Simpson does have a knack for being around the ball, but he's a lousy open field tackler to this point.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,692 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: OL is no longer priority #1

I disagree Pat.

Kelsay/Denney are doing OK. They get pressure.

The middle of the O-line still needs help. I am not sold on Preston and Gandy is very possibly gone (who replaces him on the current roster?). RT is still a question, although Pennington clearly has ability.

I would like to see one more DT (depending on McCargo). But even when it comes to Williams, it often takes a DT a few years to develop.

I would also perhaps place a receiving threat at TE higher on the priority list, as well as re-signing Nate.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

kernowboy

I think with the OL depth this year we can still pick up a player in R3 like Doug Free or Mike Otto who could add depth and become a player.

Simpson will get better but a decent cover man for him and Whitner in the shape of Eric Weddle (R4) would not be wrong

On the defence, I think Hargrove, Denney and Kelsay can continue to be passable. In the middle is where the problem lies. Apart the juniors Branch, Okam and Bryant the DTs are all light 300lbs or less so no bigger than what we have. The exceptions are guys like Okoye but he is really raw. A guy like Conrad Bolston (R3) from Maryland could be ok and a massive wildcard could be Dorian DeRosia (R6) from Saginaw Valley St.

I still think we need to look at LB with the potential of Fletcher leaving and TKO an injury away from retirement. Both Posluzny and Willis will like be available toward the bottom of round 1. I would also like to see a pick on Greg Olsen (R2) if he declares.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I also think the Bills need to look long and hard at RB. Between McGahee's dancing and inability to pick up the blitz this position needs to be addressed. I agree they need to adjust run defense but they also need to make at least one day one pick on OL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We need to get back to those days of having two big run stuffers in the middle. Our defense was one of the best when we had big Ted Washington and Fat Pat Williams, and nobody can forget how good we were when we had Fat Pat and Sam Adams lining up together. Its good to have speed on the ends but not up the middle. You need guys that can draw double team blocking.

#1 Kelsay Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You don't need two piles of flesh in the middle to stop the run. Last I checked, the Bears were pretty good at it, and their heaviest DT is 318...and he's not even the starter. The starters weigh in at 300 each. We simply need to get stronger not fatter, and that DOES entail adding a little weight for more muscle mass. But yeah....I'd agree that something needs to be changed on the DL though. They surrendered nearly 200 yards on the ground, and that's just unacceptable if we want to become a good football team.

As for runningback....I'm beginning to believe it. McGahee doesn't have a future here, of that I'm certain, unless something suddenly changes. Look for us to pick a back this year to groom as his replacement...
    Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by patmoran2006
    I used to think priority one was the OL.. I was wrong.. Its clearly becoming the DL.

Both need help, but the OL is at least playing average since the bye.. the DL is totally falling APART.

I think Schobel and Tripplett are back as starters next year, but we CLEARLY need a new starting DT and DE.

K Williams is a player, but I dont think he's a first and second down starter.. He's a good rotational player and so will be McCargo (though a first rounder was too high).. THey need a run stuffer to start next to Tripplett.

and an upgrade over Kelsay is a necessity too.

Unless you want to keep seeing teams pound away on the ground. our Run D is getting more embarassing each week.

and Ko Simpson does have a knack for being around the ball, but he's a lousy open field tackler to this point.
    Great post and couldn't agree more.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by don137
    I also think the Bills need to look long and hard at RB. Between McGahee's dancing and inability to pick up the blitz this position needs to be addressed. I agree they need to adjust run defense but they also need to make at least one day one pick on OL.
    Yep, it's time to trade McGahee. I've seen enough. I think it's hilarious how much time has been spent on JP this year when we have a RB that has managed just (1) 100 yard game this year. JP's numbers are at least improving while McGahee's are getting worse. I doubt he breaks 1000 yards which is pathetic for an NFL RB.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree that offensive line is not a top priority. I don't think Buffalo's ends are as much of a problem as the interior of the line. Depth at linebacker is an issue too. I'm starting to wonder how many really good one gap DTs there actually are. That could be a problem.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE
    Yep, it's time to trade McGahee. I've seen enough. I think it's hilarious how much time has been spent on JP this year when we have a RB that has managed just (1) 100 yard game this year. JP's numbers are at least improving while McGahee's are getting worse. I doubt he breaks 1000 yards which is pathetic for an NFL RB.
    Yes, but how much of that is due to our inept Oline for the 1st half of the season? It may be improved now, but let's not forget how it was a few weeks back. Or how about the fact that D's are playing 10 men in the box to ensure they stop our main weapon? McGahee isn't performing in a vacuum...there are other things to look at and understand why they are the way they are...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The OL finally seems to be set, we have had alot of injuries and moving guys around there .. now that they put a few games in a row together, we may actually get to see what we have.

i'm a tool
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

When our D starts the Offense at the San Diego 19 and 13 I'm going to think we are doing fine there. Especially when 2 of our wins can EASILY be credited to the Defense.
    That proves NOTHING about Losman

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The more threads like this that I see, the more I think that this team is still 2 seasons from a playoff run

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Watching Schobel getting pushed around like a rag doll is gettting mighty old. He has about 2 good games a year with the pass rush, but his run defense is atrocious. He is not made for this defense, because he is not strong enough at the point of attack. When he is the offside defender, he is never in position for a naked bootleg, or a reverse. Why the Bills brain trust decided to extend his contract is beyond me.

Registered User Scumbag College's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 698 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sitting in the stands yesterday, I was really pleased with the Bills pass protection, especially at the tackles. I think Peters is our first real LT here in years, and although Pennington started out slow, I think he's really improved the last two weeks and I am really interested in how he finishes and if he improves the rest of the year. The problem I had yesterday with the OLine was the middle. I think Fowler has played OK this year, but Willis had absolutely nowhere to run when he ran inside yesterday. Preston is OK as a backup C or G, but I don't think he is the answer as a starter. I wouldn't mind the Bills getting a run blocking monster guard in the second round. Also, PP is really not the answer as a #2 receiver, although I liked what Reed brought to the table his first game back and Parrish has had his moments.

On Defense, the line had their moments, but was way too inconsistent. Playing the cover 2, I don't know if getting a giant nose tackle type that can take on a C/G or G/t double team is in that system, but it is something to be considered.

Depending on what happens in free agency, I think at this point the Bills first priorities are DT and a #2 receiver to start opposite Evans. A close second would be a run blocking, mauler of a OG.
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag College
    Preston is OK as a backup C or G, but I don't think he is the answer as a starter. I wouldn't mind the Bills getting a run blocking monster guard in the second round.
    Depending on what happens in free agency, I think at this point the Bills first priorities are DT and a #2 receiver to start opposite Evans. A close second would be a run blocking, mauler of a OG.
    Right here - FA after this season, I believe:
    # 65 Eric Steinbach
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Position: G
    Height: 6-6
    Weight: 290
    Born: 04/04/1980
    College: Iowa
    NFL Experience: 4

...and he's a durable player too:
    Year Team G GS
    2003 Cincinnati Bengals 15 15
    2004 Cincinnati Bengals 16 15
    2005 Cincinnati Bengals 16 16
    2006 Cincinnati Bengals 12 12
    TOTAL 59 58

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Has tripplett even done that well vs the run? I mean indianopolis had him as a backup his last seasons over there. Now there's no way you could have tripplett as a backup after paying him that money to come here. We'll just need a real large man to pair up with Tripplett whether through FA or the draft. Get rid of Anderson and leave Williams and McCargo as backups.

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    I disagree Pat.

Kelsay/Denney are doing OK. They get pressure.

The middle of the O-line still needs help. I am not sold on Preston and Gandy is very possibly gone (who replaces him on the current roster?). RT is still a question, although Pennington clearly has ability.

I would like to see one more DT (depending on McCargo). But even when it comes to Williams, it often takes a DT a few years to develop.

I would also perhaps place a receiving threat at TE higher on the priority list, as well as re-signing Nate.
    "OK" is not good enough... If we dont need a new starting DT and DE, then someone tell me what do we need to make our run defense not be awful?

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kerr
    Has tripplett even done that well vs the run? I mean indianopolis had him as a backup his last seasons over there. Now there's no way you could have tripplett as a backup after paying him that money to come here. We'll just need a real large man to pair up with Tripplett whether through FA or the draft. Get rid of Anderson and leave Williams and McCargo as backups.
    I'll agree with this. Let's allow time for Williams and McCargo to hopefully develop and get a big guy there to help stop the run.

DT is probably the #1 position to fill. It would be nice if we could get a tall, speedy receiver next to Evans...but I'm starting to think that we might need to supplement our LB corps with TKO not returning 100% and the possibility and maybe likelihood of losing Fletcher. Ellison was a good, speedy pickup, but given that our Dline is pretty porous means we have to ensure that our LBs are speedy and good tacklers! A top Guard maybe in the 3rd rd will probably be needed also. Of course, all this depends on FA signings, but those are probably our top needs regardless. Signing Clements and extending McGahee will ensure that we can focus on these 3 holes we will have and perhaps ensure that we are a better team next year!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They also need some linebackers on this team. TKO is not the same, Fletcher is nothing more than average, Crowell is decent, Ellison is undersized, and they have absolutely no depth at all.
    And what about Whitner. he's been a disappointment in my eyes. I expected much more. His play has been ordinary/average at best.
    I'll say it again, you don't take a safety with the 8th pick in the draft.