Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who does the NFL want to win the SB?

WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD. BuffaloRanger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who does the NFL want to win the SB?

Clearly the NFL is fixed. Certain teams win with the benefit of several officiating calls or non-calls. Then the media claims that "it was ugly but they found a way to win".

Case in point, Bills vs Chargers this week. Hockulee was horrible, but bet me right now that he won't be officiating the SuperBowl. Quid Pro Quo Clarice.

Look at the Colts/Steelers playoff game last year. Didn't it look like the refs were biased against the Steelers. Could the NFL front office have told or insinuated to the Head Ref that the Colts should win? They tried everything to give that game to the Colts.

There will always be fans that won't even consider that in a billion dollar business, executives might not want the outcomes of certain games left up to chance. In most (not all) NFL games if you watch objectively you can see the calls and more importantly non-calls going in favor of a certain team.

So I ask again, who does the NFL want to win the SuperBowl this year? If it was the Chargers vs the Patriots in the AFC championship game which team would have the more favorable calls and non-calls go their way?

Even if you don't believe the NFL is capable of this, at least give your opinion on the above game, if only for entertainment purposes.
    Buffalo Only and Always.

The world needs a hero! LarryBoy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Who does the NFL want to win the SB?

Gotta tell ya, it makes me wonder.

I've had many of conversations on this subjuct after the last super dud bowl and the best conclusion we could come up with is that there sure is a hell of alotta money bet on these games, esp playoffs - and money talks.

I could see the NFL helping the Saints out a bit in the NFC, sure would make a nice story.

Makes me wonder...that's all.
    Bills Rock!

Thanks
    Thanked 30,660 Times in 17,510 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

New England.

A fourth Super Bowl for Brady is going to be Tag's reitrement gift.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nah the NFL knows they need a new team from a marketing standpoint. It will be the chargers.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,923 Times in 3,551 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Considering the recent events in Louisiana, it would look good to ensure NO gets the ring, but I don't know if the NFL can help them as much as needed considering the Cowboys are playing lights out right now.

Of course the Cowboy's are "America's Team" and we are at war.

Obviously the Patriots for the simple fact that they were chosen as the "Golden team" after 9/11.

Maybe the Colts since Peyton Manning deserves a ring. It just didn't work out that way last year since Bettis decided he wanted to retire.

Maybe the Chargers? But I just don't see LT and his 30+ TDs he will score this year can trump NO, NE, Dal, and Ind.

The Bears? Not sure if they can make Grossman look good enough.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I really don't blame you for posing the question that way.

After this last owners meeting prior to this season, I'm starting to believe it's all about promoting certain teams which return the greatest financial windfall to the League accounts.

Look at the abnormal schedule we were given, after Wilson voted no. Four home games after Thanksgiving and then ask our small market fans why they aren't buying tickets.

Integrity seems to be for sale.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Thanked 5,923 Times in 3,551 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train
    I really don't blame you for posing the question that way.

After this last owners meeting prior to this season, I'm starting to believe it's all about promoting certain teams which return the greatest financial windfall to the League accounts.

Look at the abnormal schedule we were given, after Wilson voted no. Four home games after Thanksgiving and then ask our small market fans why they aren't buying tickets.

Integrity seems to be for sale.
    Back in the day when we had a great team, we always sold out our games in the snow. It was our advantage to have that weather. Hell, up until last year, Miami cried about always having to play in the cold at Ralph Wilson Stadium. I don't think the weather has much of an effect of whether or not the Bills sell out a game. I think it's the product on the field.

Hi Dave!
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't believe the NFL is fixed.
    Officials are human, and errors even out during the season.
    Especially the non-calls. We remember the non-calls that should go in our favor, but we forget about the ones that should have been called against us. As fans we end up with a skewed perspective.
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think that they have multiple teams that they want to win. This is what I think they are in order:

1. New England - The love affair with Tom Brady won't end until he retires.

2. Colts - The NFL really wants their poster boy Manning to win his first SB

3. Chargers - The NFL loves these guys.

4. Dallas - Nothing needs to be said here.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,496 Times in 15,582 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All you have to do is re-watch last year's SB to see the bias.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,394 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Someone (I think Pride) posted a long thread about this a while back. Basically he said the NFL isn't exactly fixed, but the league has preferred outcomes and encourages the referees to make calls as such. Hence, big money/popular teams get favorable calls while teams on the brink or teams from smaller markets don't get the calls.

It does make sense. It would be nearly impossible to truly fix a football game- there would have to be too many people involved and someone would blow the whistle. Plus, you can never guarantee that someone won't accidentally fumble, drop a pass etc. on the team that's supposed to win.

But giving teams a slight advantage with favorable calls- that would only require a few officials (*cough- ED HOCHULI-*cough). You wouldn't even need the entire officiating crew to go along with it- just the head ref and 2 more.

Legendary Zoner Earthquake Enyart's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Rank the teams by market size. That's the order that they favor.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132
    I don't think the weather has much of an effect of whether or not the Bills sell out a game. I think it's the product on the field.
    Not argument here but we are defintely in a rebuilding phase and the schedule given to us was never going to result in selling out all 8 games. The " Where are the fans ? " threads here are beyond comical.

With less income and already with limited revenue due to market size, how can we compete long term with the big boys of the NFL ? We can't give the blockbuster deals others can and taking away prime home dates from a rebuilding team in the North only hurts us from turning the tables. How can we re-sign what few good players we have, if the income isn't there ?

This 2006 schedule did hurt us at the gate and there are some long term ramifications from it. The NFL did stick it to us.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I predicted that NE would win after 9/11 (as a joke at the time), and they the refs and the sudden emergence of the tuck rule handed them the Superbowl. I definitely think that the league has the officials influence game outcomes. I wouldn't be surprised if NO wins it all this year after Katrina. Just like we all knew that we would lose their first 'home' game last year.
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Earthquake Enyart
    When was the last time a NYC team was even in the SB? Oh yeah, the Giants got creamed in 2000.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Earthquake Enyart
    I'm starting to believe that. Except for certain circumstances.

This year, they are praying the Saints (no pun intended) are the chosen ones.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ICE74129
    Nah the NFL knows they need a new team from a marketing standpoint. It will be the chargers.
    See the Chargers' lucky call against Oakland the week before they played us.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Does anyone have any actual proof of this, or is it all speculation? I looked at other teams message boards especially other teams with losing records or small market teams, and no one else is theorizing about this conspiracy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RBI90
    Does anyone have any actual proof of this, or is it all speculation? I looked at other teams message boards especially other teams with losing records or small market teams, and no one else is theorizing about this conspiracy.
    Don't ruin a good thread by asking for facts or proof. The pure victim mentality of the fans in this thread is so hilarious I wouldnt want you to ruin it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LTforMVP
    Don't ruin a good thread by asking for facts or proof. The pure victim mentality of the fans in this thread is so hilarious I wouldnt want you to ruin it.
    Proof...

Isn't that what Terrence Keil's pharmacist is providing?