Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bills visit with TE Jermichael Finley, and do not meet with WR Malcolm Kelly

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills visit with TE Jermichael Finley, and do not meet with WR Malcolm Kelly

This is posted in the Scouting Zone thread about Team Interviews but since there is only 20 or so people who frequent that zone, I figured Id share this little nugget that nobody else would normally know unless you read the treasures that get posted there. So here you go, we have met with TE Jermichael Finley;

Bills | Team contacts Je. Finley
    Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:29:33 -0800

University of Texas TE Jermichael Finley said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that the Buffalo Bills have contacted him.

More goodies in the Scouting Zone.....
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills visit with TE Jermichael Finley

And because I like you guys, you get this added bonus!

NFL | Je. Finley measures in at NFL Scouting Combine
    Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:28:54 -0800

University of Texas TE Jermichael Finley measured in at the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine with a height of 6-foot-4 and a weight of 243 pounds. His agent is Major Adams. He is planning to take part in all drills. When asked to characterize his blocking, Finely said: "I can grade it. I grade it a C. It's not good at all. But I'm going to work my butt off to make it great."

Kid seems to have great character!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i dont care about character.. i want skill.. i want a guy that can own people not guys that need to work their butt off to improve their c grade.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka
    i dont care about character.. i want skill.. i want a guy that can own people not guys that need to work their butt off to improve their c grade.
    You know this guy is considered one of the most athletic TE's in the draft, coming in at 6'4, 243. He may have the fastest 40 time of all the TE's. How many times have we heard that we have enough blocking TE's, that we need an athletic pass catching TE, well thats exactly what Finley is, but now you are saying you dont like him because he's not the best blocker and he wants to work to improve his game?

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

im no expert but ive always thought guys that cant block well must always have bad character

i view it like not being able to play defense in hockey, which i know a lot about. its not frikken rocket science, anybody can do it if they want to. sure some guys are going to be better than others but the only way you cant become at least 'good' at defense is because you dont care enough to study, work, and try hard to do it

how frikken complicated can blocking be. theres gotta be a jillion coaches who will spend as much time with you as you want to learn the techniques. but if all you care about it the glory of catching passes and plowing white girls then youre probably going to stay a c- forever
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He is very raw .. only 20 years old....Has a child so he needed to come out to support his family... I would love to get him in rd 3 .. In two years this guy could be special...

Bmax

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There are several factors that might come into play in determining how good a blocker a TE might be. First, what kind of offense did he play in and what role did he play in that offense. Some offenses rarely use the TE in the passing game. His primary job is to be an extra inline blocker. In other offenses the TE is almost always out in a pass pattern and never does anything more than a little chip block on his way out in the pattern. If you don't do it, you're not going to be very good at it. You have to remember that NFL teams pay millions of dollars to pass rushers to make athletic 6'6" 330 giants look silly. They do it with a variety of moves, but they also use strength in a bull rush. If a 270 lb defensive end can bullrush a 330 lb tackle, I can't imagine it's going to be easy for a 240 lb TE to slow him down much. So if you're not taking time to learn the technique because that's not how your college coach is using you, I can't imagine it's going to be easy when you get to the pros. Another factor is size. Michael Gaines is 280 lbs. I would expect him to be a better blocker than a 243 lb Jermichael Finley going up against say Julius Pepper. I would guess Finley will attempt to gain some weight and get into a lifting program to put on some muscle. Depending on his frame, he might be able to add 10-20 lbs of muscle without sacrificing quickness and speed. Some colleges are better than others at getting their athletes into a good weight training program. The bottom line is I don't put too much stock in the suggestion that blocking is easy and lack of ability is a character flaw. That said, there are some hotdogs who think so highly of their own talent and so little of the team concept that they don't work on blocking and don't try very hard in games.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's shorter than advertised, but apparently has put on a little weight since playing. He was listed at something like 237.

kernowboy

Interesting but I still reckon John Carlson of Notre Dame might be our best bet - a better blocker and maybe whilst not as athletic, big enough and fast enough.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Im just happy they are talking to somebody

Thanks
    Thanked 30,670 Times in 17,517 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead
    but if all you care about it the glory of catching passes and plowing white girls then youre probably going to stay a c- forever
    Thus the reason why none of us ever made it to the big leagues.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Drew's my hero!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

meh

any tight end who can run and catch is a bigger asset than a poor man's tackle.

polian had a really good thing about this.

basically, a great pass catching TE will get LBs and someone else worried about him on passing downs, which opens up running lanes when you are 2 TE and single back. also if the TE can be the 3rd or 4th option but still be a player, then you end up with lots of 3rd down conversions.

metz in buff, walls in carolina, pollard and now clarke in indy -- i'll go with a pass catching threat over a good blocker every damn time and twice on sunday.

he only really needs to block on an outside run to his side, other than that he does his job getting the LB back on his heels

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kernowboy
    Interesting but I still reckon John Carlson of Notre Dame might be our best bet - a better blocker and maybe whilst not as athletic, big enough and fast enough.
    Have you ever seen Carlson play?

I'm a big ND fan and he was a horrible blocker.

He's got good hands and decent speed, but his blocking skills are horrid.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Martellus Bennett rd 2, i am gonna keep sayin it until he is drafted by someone else in the late 1st rd and i cry

I am more than happy they are looking at TE, we need it HUGE need

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I absolutely agree, nice post

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    meh

any tight end who can run and catch is a bigger asset than a poor man's tackle.

polian had a really good thing about this.

basically, a great pass catching TE will get LBs and someone else worried about him on passing downs, which opens up running lanes when you are 2 TE and single back. also if the TE can be the 3rd or 4th option but still be a player, then you end up with lots of 3rd down conversions.

metz in buff, walls in carolina, pollard and now clarke in indy -- i'll go with a pass catching threat over a good blocker every damn time and twice on sunday.

he only really needs to block on an outside run to his side, other than that he does his job getting the LB back on his heels
    lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I really like the fact that the kid admits his blocking stinks and that he want's to change that

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He is Travis Henry all over again 4 kids four different women, yeah he went early cause he could'nt afford to stay at UT, does that defy character?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by capitolneal
    He is Travis Henry all over again 4 kids four different women, yeah he went early cause he could'nt afford to stay at UT, does that defy character?

Where do you see that he has 4 children with 4 women?

He left UT early to care for his family

Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE patmoran2006's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Four kids with four different woman? This TE kid?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The guy is married and has kids;

Ultimately, this was more a family decision than a football decision. Finley has a wife and kids, and from that perspective, it makes sense that he wants to make a living. But from a football perspective, he would have been much better off getting another year of college under his belt.
    It's not cool to just throw accusations out and not have a link to back it up with, so lets keep that to a minimum please
    Last edited by DraftBoy; 02-22-2008 at 12:20 PM.