Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was wrong...

Thanks
    Thanked 24,472 Times in 14,180 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was wrong...

I like to pride myself on my accuracy of my player projections in relation to the draft, its one of the reasons many of you ask me questions and why for a few years the BZ allowed me write up parts of the draft guide. However I now have to admit that I completely blew one projection and that was the Steve Johnson projection.

He has shown a lot of growth since coming out of Kentucky where he was a good hands possession type receiver and has shown a dedication to his craft even through injury. The kid has learned to run much better routes, sell his fakes better, block better, and just gets the fundamental stuff (like false stepping). He is very smooth in and out of breaks and is making percise cuts, which are vital. He'll likely (barring injury or complete collapse) be a 1,000 yard plus and 12 TD WR this season which is something to be proud of.

So there you have it, I was wrong on him.

The only big Steve Johnson guy I can recall was Mystic, so Ill give him props though I know there were a few others.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: I was wrong...

A few games don't make a career but it's cool you admit when you were wrong. Its good to see Johnson develop but he's got a long way to go still from being a "star" in this league.
    Impossible is Nothing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I am not trying to tout my horn here but after I watched that UK LSU game I thought this guy was a gamer. I personally thought rounds 4 to 6 was where he was going to go.

When we drafted him in round 7 I was like he was still available awesome this guy is going to be a rookie impact player. I was wrong on that but I always thought this guy was going to become a gamer.

Hopefully he and Kyle make the pro bowl.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Demon
    A few games don't make a career but it's cool you admit when you were wrong. Its good to see Johnson develop but he's got a long way to go still from being a "star" in this league.
    I understand and agree but this kid has done more than just had a couple of 100 yard games. He's worked hard all season and the improvement throughout his game in multiple aspects is clear.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24
    I am not trying to tout my horn here but after I watched that UK LSU game I thought this guy was a gamer. I personally thought rounds 4 to 6 was where he was going to go.

When we drafted him in round 7 I was like he was still available awesome this guy is going to be a rookie impact player. I was wrong on that but I always thought this guy was going to become a gamer.

Hopefully he and Kyle make the pro bowl.
    tout away, you nailed it you deserve the praise. Well done!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You're not the only one, DB. A lot of people were hard on this kid through this past offseason.

All I knew was that Jauron seemed to be horrible at putting talent in, so I figured it was at least worth giving him a shot to see what he had. It appears he's wildly exceeding anyone's expectations of him. Have to wonder how much he learned from T.O.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Thanked 12,493 Times in 7,332 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why should you have expected much out of a 7th round pick? Kudos to those who saw something in SJ but I would not consider being wrong about a guy no one else wanted a big deal. Apparently most NFL scouts and GM's missed something too.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

DraftBoy you are not the only one who was wrong. I thought the same coming into the season. Steve Johnson might not be the fastest guy but he can flat out ball.

The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water! THE END OF ALL DAYS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 546 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I projected Stevie Johnson to be an NFL star when he was a Junior in High School

I am a genious.
    In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water! THE END OF ALL DAYS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

im just kidding.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

and I cant spell genious

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I would have never tagged SJ as starter before he was drafted... Plenty of other teams didn't either hence why he was available late in the draft.

How many teams passed on Brady or other undrafted players.

heck for some players their entire career can be made or broken by the team that drafted him, and whether or not the HC actually likes sed player.

A player could just have a bad pre-season and be cut but even some of those players might have developed given the right environment for their personality / skill sets...

lots of intangibles come into play, but with SJ most of us noticed something in the few times he did get the call, something stood out, and I'm glad to see it coming out now !!!!
    Last edited by ddaryl; 11-22-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This was from your draft review....

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy
    7 (224). Steve Johnson WR Kentucky
    One of the biggest, yet most unheralded, reasons as to why the Kentucky Wildcats were so effective last season is WR Steve Johnson. Johnson is a strong 6’1, 210 pounds, who excelled at making plays while at Kentucky. We all remember the catch he had v. LSU last season to win the game. Not only that, but Johnson shows a drive to go and get the ball that many young WR’s do not show so early in their careers. Johnson, however, is still extremely raw; he only has two years of DI football under his belt, and only one real year of production. He needs to work on his route running, consistency, and technique to become one of the top three WR’s on a team, but if he does, watch out. This guy could be a real steal this late in the draft.
    Grade: A-
    http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archi...aft_review.php

See...you weren't entirely wrong and actually deserve credit for what you said after the draft.
    Last edited by Michael82; 11-22-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by keithtr
    and I cant spell genious
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I thought Chad Jackson looked better in the pre-season. I too was wrong about him

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jesus did not give me good information on Stevie Johnson.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I wasn't hard on Steve Johnson until after the first 3 or 4 games of this year! He dropped 1 or 2 big balls every week for the first few weeks and I was beyond frustrated with him. Since then, he has come into his own and is living up to his potential, and exceeding my expectations from day one. He's worked very hard and it's obvious. He deserves a ton of credit. I never thought he'd be as productive as he has been. I thought a decent 3rd WR, but certainly not the excellent #2 he's become.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i wish i didn't get banned on the buffalobills.com message board or i would have a lot of threads to show about how i thought this kid could turn into something special. he's not there yet but he is on his way.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I posted something when he was drafted that the guy will be a gamer! Great value in the 7th round

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

we still have Easley who I think will be beastly.