Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newton ready to perform at Combine.

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Newton ready to perform at Combine.

In the race to be the first quarterback selected in the 2011 NFL Draft, Auburn's Cam Newton is getting a head start over Missouri' Blaine Gabbert. Newton will be throwing at the Combine while Gabbert has opted not to according to Rob Rang of cbssports.com. http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/...82485/27602423

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Newton ready to perform at Combine.

Gabbert wont be throwing, maybe he'll fall to us in the 2nd.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i'd be interesting to know which players historically dropped out of performing at the combine and then flamed out/still had success.

is it really ahorrible thing to not showcase your talent in the combine?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Smart move by Newtons team to have him throw at the Combine. There would have been a lot of negative publicity if he refused to do so after throwing for the media.

I think Gabbert is making a big mistake to not throw there & it may cost him come draft day.
    Last edited by better days; 02-22-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

After all, the agency that represents Gabbert -- Creative Artists Agency -- has represented several quarterbacks in recent years who elected not to work out at the Combine and successfully boosted their stock with strong Pro Day performances. Recent CAA quarterbacks include Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan. Each elected not to throw in Indianapolis. Bradford and Stafford were the No. 1 overall picks of the 2010 and 2009 drafts, respectively. Ryan was the first quarterback selected and the third overall pick in 2008.

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus
    i'd be interesting to know which players historically dropped out of performing at the combine and then flamed out/still had success.

is it really ahorrible thing to not showcase your talent in the combine?
    Well Stafford, Bradford, and Ryan all opted out. As far as whether its a horrible decision I think depends on the individual prospect. One of the possible reasons QBs do opt out is that at the combine, you don't get to throw to receivers your comfortable with, its all based on rotation of who goes first, second, etc. Some QBs just want to do those drills with receivers they are comfortable throwing to, so they elect to perform these drills at a pro day in more suitable surroundings for that QB. So, I think its a matter of preference.

However, if you have a lot of unanswered questions from scouts and teams still on the table, the combine is a great opportunity to answer a majority of them. At the combine, scouts are concentrating more on footwork, and zip on the ball rather than pass completion according to Mike Mayock. Watching this little tidbit based on individual drills and workouts at the combine can answer a lot of questions. http://www.nfl.com/combine/workouts?module=HP_headlines
    Check out Position Drills/QB. Its a pretty cool explanation of the drills they go through, the purpose of running them, and what teams and scouts look for. JMO
    Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 02-22-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Mayock has Gabbert and Locker ranked ahead of Newton. Maybe some teams agree .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,377 Times in 2,101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by dog14787
    Newton: "I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon.''
    wait. Newton said that?!

good god. I don't think i've ever prayed over a draft pick... i might just start to pray we don't draft Cameron Newton.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have no doubt that he will be impressive at the combine. Having said that, can you guys please remember that Mayock has said that Jemarcus Russel had the most impressive workout he has ever seen from a QB however would have never drafted him in the first round... enough said

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan
    Gabbert wont be throwing, maybe he'll fall to us in the 2nd.
    highly unlikely IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33
    wait. Newton said that?!

good god. I don't think i've ever prayed over a draft pick... i might just start to pray we don't draft Cameron Newton.
    IMO, this falls into the category of those that didn't like him before now have added fuel for their fire.

Wouldn't you say you wouldn't like Newton at 3 before and now will pray it doesn't happen?

If anyone liked Newton at 3 and has just changed their mind based on this quote, speak up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird
    I have no doubt that he will be impressive at the combine. Having said that, can you guys please remember that Mayock has said that Jemarcus Russel had the most impressive workout he has ever seen from a QB however would have never drafted him in the first round... enough said
    Why is that enough said? Tom Brady had the worst combine workout ever and all the teams skipped him until the 6th round.

If anything it shows that the whole thing is a crapshoot and the best you can do is to put your faith in doing your best to get it right... but you will both succeed and fail, all teams do.

President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League) Prov401's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gabbert is smart. He knows that his stock has soared for absolutely no reason, and he has everything to lose going to the combine. Smart move by a coward.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    Gabbert is smart. He knows that his stock has soared for absolutely no reason, and he has everything to lose going to the combine. Smart move by a coward.
    Wow. His stock has soared because he has a lot to offer as a potential NFL QB.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era
    Why is that enough said? Tom Brady had the worst combine workout ever and all the teams skipped him until the 6th round.

If anything it shows that the whole thing is a crapshoot and the best you can do is to put your faith in doing your best to get it right... but you will both succeed and fail, all teams do.
    my point is.. dont fall in love with him from what he does in the combine.. The combine is very overrated... what players do on the filed is what counts

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird
    my point is.. dont fall in love with him from what he does in the combine.. The combine is very overrated... what players do on the filed is what counts
    It's all information. Some is worth more than others. Teams take it all in, and make their decisions.

But yes, what players do on the field counts for more IMO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Auburn QB Cam Newton told SI's Peter King Tuesday that he sees himself "not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

Responding to a question about his limited experience, Newton also tells Yahoo's Dan Wetzel: "Not to sound arrogant, but what I did in one year others couldn't do in their entire collegiate careers." Together, the two quotes may put a screeching halt to Newton's upward momentum. Teams clearly have concerns about Newton's priorities and character as well as his team of handlers. The mentality that fostered entertainment icon LeBron's "Decision" may play in the NBA, but it won't fly with NFL scouts and coaches. If Newton is so dead-set on reaching icon status, he should study the careers of Brian Bosworth and Ryan Leaf.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6491/cam-newton

Yikes.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League) Prov401's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era
    Wow. His stock has soared because he has a lot to offer as a potential NFL QB.
    His stock has soared because Luck dropped out, Mallett has mental issues, and Locker fell of the face of the Earth. He can make a case to be drafted number 1 just like Cam is trying to do. He isn't because he knows money will be lost.

True story.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33
    wait. Newton said that?!

Wouldn't you say QB's like Brady, Manning and Rodgers are icons? Cam Newton is already idolized in Alabama.

NFL Football players are all entertainers.

Note: Funny how one or two words can be twisted around. (by SI) What Cam actually said : I want to be an entertainer and an icon. (big difference)

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6491/cam-newton
    Last edited by Figster; 02-22-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    His stock has soared because Luck dropped out, Mallett has mental issues, and Locker fell of the face of the Earth. He can make a case to be drafted number 1 just like Cam is trying to do. He isn't because he knows money will be lost.

True story.
    IMO, as someone following the prospects throughout the year, he has been a 1st round pick for half the season at least. The talent is there to warrant a 1st round selection.